B:TAS Baby-Doll

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: B:TAS Baby-Doll

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Keyser94 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:12 am Maybe you should do a review of The Shadow 1994, the character that Bob Kane plagiarise to create Batman, also take all the credit even that his co-creator did all the dirty job.
Eh, no Batman is a combination of Shadow and Doc Savage both.

Besides, Bill Finger is the real creator of Batman.
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:45 am
Keyser94 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:12 am Maybe you should do a review of The Shadow 1994, the character that Bob Kane plagiarise to create Batman, also take all the credit even that his co-creator did all the dirty job.

And even then, The Shadow was really just the apotheosis of decades of paranormal detectives, vigilantis, and secret societies that had been in pulps and penny dreadfuls.

When you look at Bob Kane's stuff it was just a guy in a red winged outfit, then Bill Finger showed up and invented EVERYTHING ICONIC ABOUT BATMAN.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
Keyser94
Redshirt

Post by Keyser94 »

Rocketboy1313 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:16 am
CharlesPhipps wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:45 am

And even then, The Shadow was really just the apotheosis of decades of paranormal detectives, vigilantis, and secret societies that had been in pulps and penny dreadfuls.

When you look at Bob Kane's stuff it was just a guy in a red winged outfit, then Bill Finger showed up and invented EVERYTHING ICONIC ABOUT BATMAN.
I love pulps, they have very popular in certain places in internet, more if you are a hobby writers, sure, most of the time editorials chose the worst pulps out there, most very bad Young Adult fiction, hell, I even write pulp science fiction/fantasy, with a little more nuances and more adapted to modern times, Dynamite Comics is making a business of bringing old pulps heroes like Tarzan, Zorro and The Shadow again after their success with Warlord of Mars that is based on the Princess of Mars, even that the Mars society seems more like 21th century like, from John to Tarzan the have a 19th mind in some things, even when they face spaceships and prehistoric lands in the arctic (that were Marvel get the idea).
bluebydefault
Redshirt

Post by bluebydefault »

Episodes like this are why so many people say their favorite version of Batman is the animated series one. They humanize Batman, too.

Also, I like quite a few of the newer movies and shows (especially the shows which have more time to play around with the world) for superheroes, but they seem really afraid to make new characters or do anything too new. They think everything has to be a reference to something that's already appeared in the comics. This show introduced one of the most popular characters, Harley Quinn. It also took risks with episodes like this one. Baby Doll doesn't show up much more after this but this episode is memorable and emotional.
Edvarius
Officer

Post by Edvarius »

This film has already had a request submitted. Though I'm sure Chuck wouldn't mind if you threw even more money at him.
AllanO
Officer

Post by AllanO »

Keyser94 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:12 am f you look the original character and Batman, the phrase: "When you look at the abyss, the abyss look at you." not seems much compared to Cranston, Batman actually never had the real danger of becoming a criminal at difference of The Shadow, that he had to fight his own demons not only the criminals.
So Batman is both plagiarized from the Shadow and too different from the Shadow to be interesting. Okay.

As pointed out Batman has several sources of inspiration (or if you prefer rips off several figures) including most obviously Zorro (I think that is even in the official story and certainly Batman has more Zorro gimmicks than Shadow gimmicks).

The truth is that Batman shares some genre tropes with the Shadow and other tropes with other figures like Zorro. There were already plenty of pulp figures and other stories that had one or the other of the elements (the dark fearful theme, playboy secretly a masked hero and so on). If we say sharing a few such tropes is all it takes to plagiarize then we are saying it is basically impossible to write a new story in a preexisting genre. I don't think so myself.

Anyway this episode sticks with me but I am not sure it gets too far beyond one or two nice ideas and some jokes about old sitcoms (I believe the Brady Bunch had the iconic cousin introduced at the end to try and boost ratings that everyone hated), so I'm not surprised Baby Doll did not become a permanent fixture in Batman's rogues gallery.
Yours Truly,
Allan Olley

"It is with philosophy as with religion : men marvel at the absurdity of other people's tenets, while exactly parallel absurdities remain in their own." John Stuart Mill
Ixthos
Officer

Post by Ixthos »

AllanO wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:48 am [...]

As pointed out Batman has several sources of inspiration (or if you prefer rips off several figures) including most obviously Zorro (I think that is even in the official story and certainly Batman has more Zorro gimmicks than Shadow gimmicks).

The truth is that Batman shares some genre tropes with the Shadow and other tropes with other figures like Zorro. There were already plenty of pulp figures and other stories that had one or the other of the elements (the dark fearful theme, playboy secretly a masked hero and so on). If we say sharing a few such tropes is all it takes to plagiarize then we are saying it is basically impossible to write a new story in a preexisting genre. I don't think so myself.

[...]
If I remember correctly at least one adaptation of Batman has the play the Waynes left being about Zorro, so a specific nod towards that inspiration for Batman.

I'd never really thought about it this way, but Batman really has a good dynamic with children and child-like figures. This show really was great, and very good at giving depth and complexity to its villains and to Batman.
Senko
Redshirt

Post by Senko »

I do wonder what would be going through his mind if this were a real world standing there holding this 30 year old woman trapped as a child up by her dress in one hand. On the one hand he'd have more trouble not hurting her than beating her but on the other she's as chuck said another mirror to his life like the joker just in a different way.

Kind of a shame none of the supertech/magic ever seems to be around to help people like this I mean really turn her into a woman with magic/tech and she'd probably be able to go straight. Since she doesn't have the background to pull her back like some others.
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

FlynnTaggart wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:29 pm Still squicked that later she got with Killer Croc though. Everyone deserves love mind you but when its like a teacup chihuahua with a Great Dane just the mechanics alone is disturbing.
Sadly seems to be an amusing occurrence. I remember one guy complaining online about how really short guys have no luck because really short women seem to have a fetish for unusually tall guys. Instantly brought to mind a friend who's 4'11'' who was with a guy like 6'5'' at the time that fit the bill.

If you think that world wrong Bruce Wayne, look at Lamont Cranston or Kent Allard, he survived the WWI to then disappear for seven years to become a Tibetan Warlord, entering in the Opium Drug Trade, killing thousands of innocent people, to then forced to redeem himself, and fight crime, that what I call a good origin story, not become a superhero because his mommy and daddy issues, Cranston had darkness in him and darkness that reflect in the criminals that he fought against, that why the temptation it always was there, go to his lowest instinct and become a killer again, if you look the original character and Batman, the phrase: "When you look at the abyss, the abyss look at you." not seems much compared to Cranston, Batman actually never had the real danger of becoming a criminal at difference of The Shadow, that he had to fight his own demons not only the criminals.
This kind of talk is self-defeating. Next you'll be saying the Aeneid ripped of the Odyssey.

Superheroes and originality don't really go together. That isn't their point. They are born of the primordial archetypal soup of very basic mythology. It's no surprise so many share things in common. The only major difference is how dominated superheroes are by American culture and how reflective almost all are of an American mindset. THEY chose to help society on THEIR terms under no mandated obligation from any Earthly authority beyond the moral imperative of their own personal ethos to protect others. Even ones who do serve an authority do so in keeping with their own ethos and invariably break if that authority falls out of sync with them, which they then always restore bringing it back in line to their ethical standards.

The issue here has more to do with the modernist obsession with originality and dismissal of anything that seems not to be ex nihilo, when everything comes from something. Take the Xenomorph. It's one of the major creations of modern monster making, but peek under the hood and all you see is yet another primordial dragon of chaos remade in modern scientific terms. That doesn't invalidate it. It reaffirms the timelessness symbolism of the dragon and it's relation to chaos and the unknown.
Beelzquill
Officer

Post by Beelzquill »

I just got to wonder how Baby-Doll well exists. I completely grant that this is comic book science so maybe it's just that. Though, didn't Chuck say she had "hypoglasia?" or was it hypoplasia? Which implies this is a real condition, and considering Doll's main cause of madness seems to be mostly associated with social reactions to her condition, it implies she's otherwise heathy right. So is there no other complications? Would she have the same life expectancy as a "normal" person? If so how would middle to old age treat her? Would she not have wrinkles or bad eyesight like anyone else? So many questions that I'm too lazy to google for answers.