B:TAS Baby-Doll

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
stellar_coyote
Officer

Re: B:TAS Baby-Doll

Post by stellar_coyote »

Senko wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:33 am I do wonder what would be going through his mind if this were a real world standing there holding this 30 year old woman trapped as a child up by her dress in one hand. On the one hand he'd have more trouble not hurting her than beating her but on the other she's as chuck said another mirror to his life like the joker just in a different way.

Kind of a shame none of the supertech/magic ever seems to be around to help people like this I mean really turn her into a woman with magic/tech and she'd probably be able to go straight. Since she doesn't have the background to pull her back like some others.
Yeah for all the special supertech Batman can pull out of his Bat-ass for dealing with specific threats, none of those can be considered long term solutions.

That actually brings to mind a problem with Batman and by extension BTAS, the fact that nothing is done for the characters to get better. The Baby Doll/Killer Croc episode is an example, another would be what happened with Mr. Freeze, he reached the ending point of his journey in the movie Sub-Zero but they brought him back just to pile on more emotional trauma and angst.

And it's not just villains either, Gotham and its heroes are continuously shown being driven further and further into the pit. The local populace is still constantly in danger of some lunatic escaping from the sanitarium and killing them with abandon. Batman Beyond portrayed Batman and his former apprentices as old, broken, jaded cynics who have nothing good to say about their time as heroes and I have to wonder what kind of message that's supposed to be? Looking at like that it feels less like a superhero toon and more like an animated suicide note.
Scififan
Officer

Post by Scififan »

There is another Baby Doll episodes that appeared in the last season but the less said the better. This was when they decided to change the look of many of the characters in Batman TAS and this was no exception.
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/vil ... 0424220033
Scififan
Officer

Post by Scififan »

Okay so maybe she looks okay.
drewder
Officer

Post by drewder »

This review shows what I've long believed, Chuck is at his best not when he's angirly reviewing things he hates, but rather when he lovingly pays tribute to the things he loves.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

drewder wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:21 pm This review shows what I've long believed, Chuck is at his best not when he's angirly reviewing things he hates, but rather when he lovingly pays tribute to the things he loves.
What about those movies that are just begging to be ripped to shreds?
..What mirror universe?
FlynnTaggart
Officer

Post by FlynnTaggart »

drewder wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:21 pm This review shows what I've long believed, Chuck is at his best not when he's angirly reviewing things he hates, but rather when he lovingly pays tribute to the things he loves.
I like it either way. Some of my favorite reviews are where he is tearing something insane or stupid a new behind but I equally enjoy when he's gushing for a good work. Its the passion for them I think, passion good or bad. Probably why I've found his STD reviews just okay, he doesn't seem to have any passion for them good or bad at least how it seems to me, he doesn't love them but doesn't even seem to hate them, just to me seems like Chuck is pretty meh towards them.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

Beelzquill wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:29 am I just got to wonder how Baby-Doll well exists. I completely grant that this is comic book science so maybe it's just that. Though, didn't Chuck say she had "hypoglasia?" or was it hypoplasia? Which implies this is a real condition, and considering Doll's main cause of madness seems to be mostly associated with social reactions to her condition, it implies she's otherwise heathy right. So is there no other complications? Would she have the same life expectancy as a "normal" person? If so how would middle to old age treat her? Would she not have wrinkles or bad eyesight like anyone else? So many questions that I'm too lazy to google for answers.
There are quite a lot of real diseases that mess with people's internals. They don't make them immortal, but they do stunt the chemicals that puberty produces so they never go through the normal changes associated with adults.

Usually there's a whole host of other side effects to go with it that mess them up in other ways, particularly the vascular system, so they tend to live shorter lives than average. And obviously have issues with people assuming they're using fake IDs, and the medication for treatments is super expensive.
King Green
Officer

Post by King Green »

Its still sad Dahl was an OC in BTAS and not packaged to the comics like New 52 or Dark Metal series. Would love to see other performances of Dahl acting Greek plays or Japanese animated storytelling!
Plus Croc is overused, give him a break of his depression...plus a leg, he's probably a stress eater into cannibalism?
Do not pity a Slave for the Slave-Lord, but hear the power of what Chaos can be.
All Beings bow before the children of he who bound their flesh by their words.
Fall and wail, all flesh, bone, soul,& power is a servant to Yun-man, the First Slave-Lord.
Keyser94
Redshirt

Post by Keyser94 »

AllanO wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:48 am
Keyser94 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:12 am f you look the original character and Batman, the phrase: "When you look at the abyss, the abyss look at you." not seems much compared to Cranston, Batman actually never had the real danger of becoming a criminal at difference of The Shadow, that he had to fight his own demons not only the criminals.
So Batman is both plagiarized from the Shadow and too different from the Shadow to be interesting. Okay.

As pointed out Batman has several sources of inspiration (or if you prefer rips off several figures) including most obviously Zorro (I think that is even in the official story and certainly Batman has more Zorro gimmicks than Shadow gimmicks).

The truth is that Batman shares some genre tropes with the Shadow and other tropes with other figures like Zorro. There were already plenty of pulp figures and other stories that had one or the other of the elements (the dark fearful theme, playboy secretly a masked hero and so on). If we say sharing a few such tropes is all it takes to plagiarize then we are saying it is basically impossible to write a new story in a preexisting genre. I don't think so myself.

Anyway this episode sticks with me but I am not sure it gets too far beyond one or two nice ideas and some jokes about old sitcoms (I believe the Brady Bunch had the iconic cousin introduced at the end to try and boost ratings that everyone hated), so I'm not surprised Baby Doll did not become a permanent fixture in Batman's rogues gallery.
It has many source of inspirations after more than 75 years of history, but the main source, that he plagiarise, was The Shadow, that why in the Golden Age Batman used guns and hung criminals from his Batwing, even that wasn't really the point of The Shadow, but, how you get redemption after all the horrible things that you have done, not matter how many people you save, you never would get atonement, that why Cranston being a drug leader warlord in the Tibet is more interesting than I lose mommy and daddy, and even committed petty thief in the movies, that is not being a criminal, Cranston have blood in his hands, Wayne don't and he dares to call himself The Dark Knight.
CMDR_Bob
Redshirt

Post by CMDR_Bob »

stellar_coyote wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:15 am
Senko wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:33 am I do wonder what would be going through his mind if this were a real world standing there holding this 30 year old woman trapped as a child up by her dress in one hand. On the one hand he'd have more trouble not hurting her than beating her but on the other she's as chuck said another mirror to his life like the joker just in a different way.

Kind of a shame none of the supertech/magic ever seems to be around to help people like this I mean really turn her into a woman with magic/tech and she'd probably be able to go straight. Since she doesn't have the background to pull her back like some others.
Yeah for all the special supertech Batman can pull out of his Bat-ass for dealing with specific threats, none of those can be considered long term solutions.

That actually brings to mind a problem with Batman and by extension BTAS, the fact that nothing is done for the characters to get better. The Baby Doll/Killer Croc episode is an example, another would be what happened with Mr. Freeze, he reached the ending point of his journey in the movie Sub-Zero but they brought him back just to pile on more emotional trauma and angst.

And it's not just villains either, Gotham and its heroes are continuously shown being driven further and further into the pit. The local populace is still constantly in danger of some lunatic escaping from the sanitarium and killing them with abandon. Batman Beyond portrayed Batman and his former apprentices as old, broken, jaded cynics who have nothing good to say about their time as heroes and I have to wonder what kind of message that's supposed to be? Looking at like that it feels less like a superhero toon and more like an animated suicide note.
I think part of what the non-event/standalone comics like Moore's "Killing Joke" do to illustrate what BTAS had to be subtle about, is the underlying psychology. Batman/Bruce Wayne is a broken man, struggling to make sense of a world full of supermen and psychopaths. For him, an average bloke with tons of tech and training, it's basically fighting against the inevitable. It's unfortunate that the best stories come from ones that make Joker the main character, because someone like Mr Freeze or Riddler demonstrate a stronger sense of despair and melancholy, respectively. You have Raas (hope I didn't butcher it), who is a glorified anarchist, and who sees the hopelessness of saving a society determined to consume itself.

And yet, those stories often get dumped on a clown whose best story was written by a bitter cunt whose stories often devolve into angsty, self-indulgent bullshit. The fact that everyone defaults to Joker (even Nolan did this, despite Batman Begins having the best opportunity to set up Raas.) shows how little both external media and the comics industry nowadays understands the psychology of the character and his rogues. Most of his rogues aren't just nuts looking to take over the world (although, they may argue otherwise for posterity.). They're damaged people living in a world where hope is basically a dying ember and whose heroes are basically them except fortune gave them a single good day.
I have a book on Amazon:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B095RXRDGG