Sfdebris fallout 3

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: Sfdebris fallout 3

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Scififan wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:39 pm So what is your favorite extra mission? I personally like the virtual training mission where you are fighting in the US-Chinese war, the last war before the bombs dropped. It had an interesting sense of fallout history.
The game is, IMHO, completely broken narratively without Broken Steel.

The Pitt is pretty much wildly regarded as the best of the DLC for good reason.

I love Point Lookout, though. Terrible story but a lot of fun.

Mothership Zeta is very fun.

Operation: Anchorage? Ehhh, not my bag even if I did like more Brotherhood Outcasts info.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Independent George wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:59 pm Oy, I've had way too many nerd arguments over this over the years. I've got over 1,400 hours in New Vegas, compared to about 90 in FO3, so I clearly prefer one to the other. Nevertheless, I don't think NV is a better game than FO3 - rather it's a different game, almost a different genre. Chuck said it himself in the video - Bethesda (and FO3) is about the sandbox, and Bioware (and Obsidian by extension) is about the story & characters. The fact that I prefer one style of game doesn't make the other one bad, or people who disagree with me wrong. It just means we like different things. I get more annoyed with the people who are ostensibly on my side of the FO3/FNV divide, because they tend be far more obnoxious about it than the FO3 fans.
Caveat: I never actually finished New Vegas (too many save file-ruining bugs), but I think the reason it gets the praise is because it managed to interject story and character into a Bethesda-style game much better than Bethesda did. Although there's a downside to that in that it pretty much railroaded you along a certain route, at least until you got to New Vegas (going north and east from the start may have been possible in theory, it certainly wasn't a good idea in practice).
Scififan
Officer

Post by Scififan »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:35 pm
Scififan wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:39 pm So what is your favorite extra mission? I personally like the virtual training mission where you are fighting in the US-Chinese war, the last war before the bombs dropped. It had an interesting sense of fallout history.
The game is, IMHO, completely broken narratively without Broken Steel.

The Pitt is pretty much wildly regarded as the best of the DLC for good reason.

I love Point Lookout, though. Terrible story but a lot of fun.

Mothership Zeta is very fun.

Operation: Anchorage? Ehhh, not my bag even if I did like more Brotherhood Outcasts info.
Mothership Zeta is great, I had so much fun frying aliens with my flamethrower!
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

clearspira wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:58 pm By far the most ham-fisted "evil" faction is Caesars Legion - and it didn't have to be.
Aside from the issues mentioned by others the Legion suffers by far the most from the rushed release date Obsidian got screwed by as like some stupid percentage of their planned content got cut. Some of it is still in the files and there's been mods aimed to try to get them at least somewhere compared to what they should have been
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

stryke wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:12 pm
clearspira wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:58 pm By far the most ham-fisted "evil" faction is Caesars Legion - and it didn't have to be.
Aside from the issues mentioned by others the Legion suffers by far the most from the rushed release date Obsidian got screwed by as like some stupid percentage of their planned content got cut. Some of it is still in the files and there's been mods aimed to try to get them at least somewhere compared to what they should have been
Eh, I don't think it would benefit from trying to make it sympathetic. There's nothing remotely unbelievable about the Legion and it acts a lot like plenty of RL warlords, even to the point of kidnapping children and indoctrinating them into extremist religion while engaged in large scale sexual slavery.

They're a lot believable than the Enclave in many ways.

Why make the evil faction less visceral?
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:07 pm Why make the evil faction less visceral?
Moral dilemma. There's very little reason to support Caesar beyond emphasizing how big an asshole you are. You could argue that without giving the player a choice to be a cruel bastard it makes choosing good meaningless, and the real moral dilemma is between House, the NCR and Independence (and given that canonically the NCR covers all of SoCal and at least as far north as Redding, the other choices are really just a sandcastle on the beach).
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:07 pm Why make the evil faction less visceral?
What I've seen it would have made them more visceral rather than less. The cut content was at the cost of depth and fleshing them out so they can come across as surface level cartoonish along with not having much to do other than the occasional hunting parties. They'd still be utter scumbags. with you being a utter scumbag for working with them, just utter scumbags with more self-justification to them.

There was also missing content to emphasise some of the flaws the NCR that are otherwise easy to miss or overlook which would have helped muddying the waters.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

stryke wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:07 pm
What I've seen it would have made them more visceral rather than less. The cut content was at the cost of depth and fleshing them out so they can come across as surface level cartoonish along with not having much to do other than the occasional hunting parties. They'd still be utter scumbags. with you being a utter scumbag for working with them, just utter scumbags with more self-justification to them.

There was also missing content to emphasise some of the flaws the NCR that are otherwise easy to miss or overlook which would have helped muddying the waters.
Cesar himself is very charsmatic
Poipoi
Redshirt

Post by Poipoi »

I'm very excited to see this game is getting a playthrough.
Nevix
Officer

Post by Nevix »

Robovski wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:27 pm Looking forward to it in February.
I do too.