Sfdebris fallout 3

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Robovski
Captain

Re: Sfdebris fallout 3

Post by Robovski »

I feel you have to just overlook the fact that supposedly 200 years has passed and enjoy the game without thinking 200 years have passed wince the end because wow is that not a good number for what we see.
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:17 am 1. What has the Enclave been doing all this time? Are they just rebuilding their numbers? Are they horribly inbred? Why didn't they seek out a Vault to replenish their stockpile of pure human DNA?
Boy, wouldn't that have been a better way to start the game?
The Enclave finds the last vault to have never been opened and attempts to take it over to replenish their pure society and inadvertently discovers that your father, the guy they have been looking for since the idea of his water purifier system started to become a rumor for the last 20 years.

Would have been a better way to kick off the plot.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Rocketboy1313 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:39 pm
CharlesPhipps wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:17 am 1. What has the Enclave been doing all this time? Are they just rebuilding their numbers? Are they horribly inbred? Why didn't they seek out a Vault to replenish their stockpile of pure human DNA?
The Enclave finds the last vault to have never been opened and attempts to take it over to replenish their pure society and inadvertently discovers that your father, the guy they have been looking for since the idea of his water purifier system started to become a rumor for the last 20 years.

I agree it would. I think Fallout 3 was very deliberately made as a kind of loose retelling of the first two games. That's why it has the Enclave, Super Mutants, and the big climax of the game is talking to death the big Computer MonsterTM.
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

Robovski wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:57 pm I feel you have to just overlook the fact that supposedly 200 years has passed and enjoy the game without thinking 200 years have passed wince the end because wow is that not a good number for what we see.
It's one part where Bethesda actually stayed true to the premise of Fallout. They were hemmed in by the passage of time between FO1 and 2 and then had to put their own time between them and FO2.

A good 80 years happens between FO1 and 2 (A passage of time I find too silly to make people "revert" into being tribals so quickly) and then FO3 starts about 25 years later. Factor that and the passage of time between FO1 and the end of WWIII and you're getting into territory that strains the world building.
Rocketboy1313 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:39 pm

You assume Todd gives a damn about things like storytelling and deep plot.

It's telling that TES only has nuance to itself as a series because of its in-house legacy and the continued contributions of good world builders that Fallout lacked being a bought IP without any attachment towards it beyond what money it could make them.

Without the rest of that influence being exerted on it TES would just be "fus roh dah!" lulzy fun like Fallout 3s exploding heads in VATS crap (and yes, I don't lay all the blame on Beth for that, Chris Avellone set the precedence with how silly FO2 could get).
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

What is everyone's opinion on Tranquillity Lane? Personally, I think its the closest to genius that Fallout ever really got. It lasts just long enough to be effective without overstaying its welcome, the music and black and white filter sets an atmosphere, and it is creepy as f-k what Braun is doing to these people. Just think, he can change everything about you - your sex, gender, race, personality, body, species - and not only can you do nothing about it, but he can make you THANK HIM for it. And this happens day, after day, after day, and even if you kill yourself, he can bring you right back to life again.

And the truly scary thing? Is that this is probably one of the more realistic Vaults out there. I have no doubt that VR technology will reach this point one day. I'm not saying the scenario is realistic of course - but its The Matrix arguments all over again. As long as the ''possibility'' exists, the fear would be in the back of your mind that it is happening to you.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

The puzzle was a bit annoying, but needed otherwise you have no reason why no one else "solves" this problem. But it is plausible and fitting within the universe. Certainly is different the first time around. Sadly doesn't hold that charm on replays really.
Independent George
Officer

Post by Independent George »

Watching this video, I realized that this was probably around 6 hours of gameplay condensed to one - meaning it probably took around 30-40 hours of editing. And there's still a long way left to go depending on how he handles side quests and exploration. And there are two other big open-world RPGs in the queue simultaneously.

I think... I'm getting an awful lot for my $2 Patreon contribution.

Anyway: Chuck, if you happen to read this and are using a Ryzen PC, there is apparently a bug in the 500-series motherboards where USB 2.0 slots randomly and sporadically lose connectivity. I've experienced this myself (Ryzen 5600X/B550 Aorus Pro), and had assumed it was an issue with my new mouse - when I swapped mouse dongles with my laptop, both devices worked flawlessly going forward. Another workaround I read about is to go into BIOS and force the chipset to use USB 3.0 instead of the default automatic detection (I have not attempted this myself, so I cannot confirm, but apparently the problem is related to PCIE 4.0 lanes in the chipset).

ETA: Linking an article summarizing the issue.
Last edited by Independent George on Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

It is so strange to see other people venting about the SAME COMPLAINTS that I have every time I try to play this game.
Those lasers shooting everywhere but the sniper he is trying to kill... Good heavens.

I can still boot up New Vegas and make a go of it, but holy shit 3 is so frustrating with the combat, the guns are constantly falling apart like they are made graham cracker and my ability to hit is always so off...
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
Coyote's Own
Redshirt

Post by Coyote's Own »

Chuck, the reason why Fallout 3 is crashing on you is because it notoriously buggy game even for Bethesda standard.
I might gone too far, since it not Fallout 76, but it isn't far.
I don't think it has anything to do with your hardware.
drewder
Officer

Post by drewder »

One thing that annoys me about the Bethesda fallout games is they reused elements because they were too lazy/scared to come up with their own ideas. Remember super mutants? Yeah we've got them. Remember the Enclave? Yep they're in DC too. Brotherhood of steel? Those guys living out of a military base in California? They're EVERYWHERE. Heck we even got people from the NCR here. Its like dealing with a European planning their week long road trip to the USA. "Yeah I'll start in NYC, head to Miami, see the grand canyon, take a picture with the Hollywood sign, and then have sushi in San Francisco. Do you think we'll have time to do anything else?" The distances involved are enormous and getting across the usa in the post apocalypse is going to be nearly impossible.