Undiscovered Country Discussion

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Undiscovered Country Discussion

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Oh yeah he did say that.
..What mirror universe?
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Wilahelm2 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:25 pm This has always been my favorite of the Trek movies with the original crew. As a history major in school the way this movie was clearly inspired by the end of the Cold War always made it stand out to me. It is also a great end to Kirk's story. I know Rodenberry had issues with how Star Fleet was becoming more militarized but this film has always seemed to be the most inline with his optimistic view of the future. The legendary warrior Kirk ends the conflict with the Klingons once and for all not in a epic battle but by letting go of his anger and helping to forge peace between the two sides.
This is the Trek movie that emotionally connects with me the most too, it just landed so perfectly with what was going on with my life in terms of my growing understanding of international politics at the time. I was just in my early teens and starting to really pay attention, as well as seeing a lot of my older relatives age into retirement and struggle to find their own roles in that too, and it just hit me at the right time.

Actually, TMP also connects with me emotionally. It hits the very young me's understanding of sci-fi as filtered through what my late father enjoyed [there was a lot of science-adventure shows he loved and shared with me before his death when I was six]. So I grokked the non-military, slightly antiseptic, aspect of TMP. Two very different Treks, but both the same Trek.
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

Something always struck me as off about this one.

Simply put, it felt more like a TV movie than a proper feature length film.

I think the humour in the prison lent to that, but the worst was the end. It felt more like them trying too hard to lend a Wrath of Khan sentiment to the film whereas that theatrical feeling was distributed throughout WoK in Khan's many scenes.

What the show really needed was more Chang and Enterprise being stalked by the Klingons rather than Kirk surrendering.
CrypticMirror wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:57 pm Actually, TMP also connects with me emotionally. It hits the very young me's understanding of sci-fi as filtered through what my late father enjoyed [there was a lot of science-adventure shows he loved and shared with me before his death when I was six]. So I grokked the non-military, slightly antiseptic, aspect of TMP. Two very different Treks, but both the same Trek.
TMP was enjoyed by my family because of our love of science and the emphasis on the Voyager mission.

Incidentally, the practical military focus of WoK alongside the battle damaged ships struggling to finish off one another is the reason why that one resonated with me.
Zatman
Officer

Post by Zatman »

Now I want to see Chuck review Chernobyl.

Seriously, this was an awesome review, as I stated before about Wrath of Khan, sometimes I want Chuck making inappropriate jokes about a midget being beaten up by two linebackers, and other times, I just want to hear the facts. The change in tone is no less enjoyable for me.
Nevix
Officer

Post by Nevix »

Zatman wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:19 am Now I want to see Chuck review Chernobyl.

Seriously, this was an awesome review, as I stated before about Wrath of Khan, sometimes I want Chuck making inappropriate jokes about a midget being beaten up by two linebackers, and other times, I just want to hear the facts. The change in tone is no less enjoyable for me.
Chuck can hit his stride in serious analysis, scathing takedowns, and in comedy both off kilter and on kilter, depending on the work and the requests of the sponsors.

Sometimes, he'll hit all three in the same review, but usually it's one or two, depending on the current subject in question.

The Undiscovered Country was and is a great movie, with a fun combination of mystery, intrigue, character, and action.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

Rocketboy1313 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:01 pm My favorite of the Star Trek movies with the TOS crew.
It's my favourite Trek film period, and it's not even close. Only other film that might compete is Galaxy Quest and that's disqualified for obvious reasons.

Khan is obviously a great film too though the worm in the ear scene was my one and only exposure to Trek as a kid which I happened to catch while it was on at my grandparents, and it seriously squicked me out so much it put me off watching any Trek at all. So the only telly sci-fi for me was Red Dwarf growing up and wouldn't get into Trek until I was in college.
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

The Undiscovered Country is definitely one of my favourite films, it was a great sendoff to The Original Series cast and this era of Star Trek overall, an interesting mystery with great action, Chang is a wonderful villain, I love the political elements, and showing that there were Klingons that wanted peace like Chancellor Gorkon and Azetbur who much like in Search for Spock show that Klingons aren't just the one note Space Viking stereotypes of the TNG era, but also there were people in Starfleet who opposed the peace shows a lot more grey areas to the Federation that many would like to deny exist, and of course I really like that this film ties into the previous films and enhances them even further on rewatch.

Overall I've really enjoyed the reviews of these films, and I thank you Chuck for taking the time to re-reviewing them.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
Beelzquill
Officer

Post by Beelzquill »

Of the TOS films, this is easily my second favorite. I still like Wrath of Khan more but only slightly. I really like that more of the main cast seemed relevant rather than just being glorified extras.