Doctor Who: Canceled! (1989)

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
BBally81
Officer

Re: Doctor Who: Canceled! (1989)

Post by BBally81 »

Percysowner wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:49 am I too like Whittaker as the Doctor. I also don't mind the new origin story because 1) The Master is such an unreliable narrator, and 2) He also may have misunderstood, or misinterpreted what happened. Written, acknowledged history is not always what actually happened. If it is accurate, then it does explain the Doctor being an oddball. It also explains why they were willing to "give" the extra lives to the Doctor, otherwise he/she would have realized something was very, very off.

I wouldn't dump all of Moffat's stories. I liked Amy and Rory, for the most part. He kept them on too long, but they were likeable companions that added to the story. Clara I could have done without. If they hadn't talked her into coming back, ending her story at Last Christmas would have been fine by me. It was after that when she became really insufferable.
I really like the Day of The Doctor, John Hurt was fantastic as the War Doctor so I wouldn't throw away anything and Capaldi was great.

Also canon has been messed around by showrunners for years so this isn't new both in the show and beyond as DAVIS a well known Whotuber put it in his Broke Canon videos:

youtu.be/V7sE0DyTWYU
Maximara
Redshirt

Post by Maximara »

Sir Will wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:47 am
Maximara wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:44 pm What are the plans to restore this video? It was an excellent telling of what may be happening with current Doctor Who ie fix it ad fix it until it is so broken that all you can do is put it out of its and the old time fan's misery.
...not touching the rest, I just disagree. As for the question, he said on Patreon that some videos just can't go up on Youtube as is, they just won't take. Some will have to be heavily edited or redone, which will take time.
Who said anything about it going up on Youtube? I meant restoring the video on his website. There are several videos that don't appear on youtube (overly aggressive takedown bots). Even the very good Star Trek review POS series has left youtube because they don't understand fair use.
Maximara
Redshirt

Post by Maximara »

CrypticMirror wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:53 pm At least with the Eighties cancellation they could soft reboot it, both in the books and again for the screen. I don't know where we go from here on screen. I think it now has to be a full cancellation and hard reboot, shorn of all previous continuity, or some sort of massive retcon to the effect that it picks up from the end of Time of the Doctor and just loses Capaldi onwards as some sort of weird hallucination. There is no quietly brushing things under the carpet like they did for poor Colin's coat.
I have no idea why we should have to do a hard reboot. Doctor Who continuity has always been a bit wonky. For example several elements of Father's Day make no sense based on what was seen in "Day of the Daleks" and "Pyramids of Mars". Also why get rid of Capaldi's stories?

I would like some plot points taken up. For instance "The Evil of the Daleks" has a thread that could be picked up. The Humanized Daleks whorl have known that sticking together would have made them easier to destroy and there you have the basis of how you could have humanized Daleks still running around.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

Percysowner wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:49 am He kept them on too long,
That was more the actor's choice than Moffatt's. He'd written them out and then they wanted more.

Same with Clara who was supposed to leave in the Christmas episode, then decided she was staying on and had to have her excellent send off hastily rewritten.

On the other end he thought he'd have Matt for one more year. Everything with the Silence, dealing with the fallout of being the last regen, and "finding" Gallifrey all in Matt's episode were super rushed and not the plan any writer would have had.

He certainly wouldn't have had the 50th end on "a quest for Gallifrey" or reveal that Matt was actually the final regen only to have the very next one wrap it if he'd known Matt was leaving, he would have just handwaved the bonus Tennet regen and gotten the drama of being the last from Capaldi.

(And yes, Capaldi cameoed in the 50th, but there was roughly a year between writing, filming, and the episode ending up on air.)
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

CrypticMirror wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:53 pm At least with the Eighties cancellation they could soft reboot it, both in the books and again for the screen. I don't know where we go from here on screen. I think it now has to be a full cancellation and hard reboot, shorn of all previous continuity, or some sort of massive retcon to the effect that it picks up from the end of Time of the Doctor and just loses Capaldi onwards as some sort of weird hallucination. There is no quietly brushing things under the carpet like they did for poor Colin's coat.
...no.
Maximara wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:06 pm
Maximara wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:44 pm What are the plans to restore this video? It was an excellent telling of what may be happening with current Doctor Who ie fix it ad fix it until it is so broken that all you can do is put it out of its and the old time fan's misery.
...not touching the rest, I just disagree. As for the question, he said on Patreon that some videos just can't go up on Youtube as is, they just won't take. Some will have to be heavily edited or redone, which will take time.
Who said anything about it going up on Youtube? I meant restoring the video on his website. There are several videos that don't appear on youtube (overly aggressive takedown bots). Even the very good Star Trek review POS series has left youtube because they don't understand fair use.
Well it's not going back on the site til he can get it onto one of the preferred hosts.
Maximara
Redshirt

Post by Maximara »

Sir Will wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:30 am
...no.
Maximara wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:06 pm
Well it's not going back on the site til he can get it onto one of the preferred hosts.
Who said it has to be a preferred host? Just shove the thing on Internet Archive like dozens of other people and link to that. The video section has some 1,002,831 entries with some 212 actually on Doctor Who.

Besides one of the providers isn't working for me. It is what everyone is hosting the Rick and Morty episodes lists.
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

JFC. It's not my fucking show or site. I was just telling you what I saw. If you have a problem with it, take it to Chuck. But actually don't because he has enough going on in his life without your whining. Piss off.
Artabax
Officer

Post by Artabax »

How to solve the continuity snarl

Montage of Chibnall era, then

Capaldi wakes up in the shower, he says "What a weird dream."

Next Capaldi regenerates into a new actor with competent scripts.
Self sealing stem bolts don't just seal themselves, you know.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Artabax wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:36 pm How to solve the continuity snarl

Montage of Chibnall era, then

Capaldi wakes up in the shower, he says "What a weird dream."

Next Capaldi regenerates into a new actor with competent scripts.
Let's not kid ourselves the series never really care for continuity. If they just decided to rewind a whole regeneration that would kill doctor who.
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

Assuming the rumors of Jodi leaving are true then hopefully Chibnall et al will go as well and we can get a fresh start.