B5: A Late Delivery From Avalon

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
ran76
Redshirt

Re: B5: A Late Delivery From Avalon

Post by ran76 »

mathewgsmith wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:49 pm The healthcare on B5 in general is atrocious if you think about it. A city of a quarter million people should have multiple full sized hospitals, but instead they have a tiny medical bay with a half dozen beds.
You're assuming they don't. Remember, Franklyn is a main supporting character and head doctor on the station. So of course any story-based medical issue is going to go to Franklyn. Even in TNG they almost always showed Crusher or Pulaski dealing with medical issues even when I'm positive they weren't the only doctors on board.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

ran76 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:40 am
SFDebris wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:48 pm Just to clarify, the door can't latch. It's a 130 year old door, the latch broke and I can't find replacement parts for it (even the screws are milled differently than modern screws so they can't thread correctly). It's a major overhaul to fix, but if this continues I'm going to have to add it to the list.

It's such a long list....
for the screws, I can suggest a combination of wood putty and threaded insert screws.
I think at that point, I'd just recommend a new door.
Nightbeat74
Officer

Post by Nightbeat74 »

SFDebris wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:48 pm
TGLS wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:00 pm
Cats pushing there way in here whenever I block the door
Strange; my cats are usually foiled by the door being closed. Must have smart cats:
Just to clarify, the door can't latch. It's a 130 year old door, the latch broke and I can't find replacement parts for it (even the screws are milled differently than modern screws so they can't thread correctly). It's a major overhaul to fix, but if this continues I'm going to have to add it to the list.

It's such a long list....
it is ok, chuck i think we have all had home and or car repair issues that we have had to fix our self.so it is understandable that there would be delays due to them,you have big enough back log that i do not mind.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

mathewgsmith wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:49 pm The healthcare on B5 in general is atrocious if you think about it. A city of a quarter million people should have multiple full sized hospitals, but instead they have a tiny medical bay with a half dozen beds.
They had at least 5 medlabs throughout the station, infirmaries and isolabs attached to those, and hundreds of doctors.

Franklin was just the head doctor and a main character, so he got the focus, and we had a set built for Medlab 1 so that's what we always saw.

it's a tv show with a budget, they could only show so much.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

That does sounds right.
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

They do have multiple medlabs, which is good, as it allows treatment of multiple people. We know that there are times, such as battles, where there isn't enough room and they leave the bodies out in the lobby area, as shown in a couple of episodes, such as "A View from the Gallery ".

What's really horrifying is that Earthgov treats Medical Care only for those who can pay. As shown with singer Cailyn James, pain meds are expensive and sometimes you have to compensate with alcohol because you can't afford to keep yourself medicated.

Down Below is also famous for having people dying from eating garbage, while Sheridan notes to Delenn that they have way more food and medicine than they need, which they use to give to the Narn on behalf of their official refugee smuggling scheme.

Babylon 5 has some serious issues when it comes to how they treat the lower class.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

FaxModem1 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:03 pm
They do have multiple medlabs, which is good, as it allows treatment of multiple people. We know that there are times, such as battles, where there isn't enough room and they leave the bodies out in the lobby area, as shown in a couple of episodes, such as "A View from the Gallery ".

What's really horrifying is that Earthgov treats Medical Care only for those who can pay. As shown with singer Cailyn James, pain meds are expensive and sometimes you have to compensate with alcohol because you can't afford to keep yourself medicated.

Down Below is also famous for having people dying from eating garbage, while Sheridan notes to Delenn that they have way more food and medicine than they need, which they use to give to the Narn on behalf of their official refugee smuggling scheme.

Babylon 5 has some serious issues when it comes to how they treat the lower class.
It was a metaphor for modern US society. I guess they also had a fascist leader who manipulated his way into power but was really just a puppet of a foreign power, but that could never have happened to America in real life.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

CrypticMirror wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:29 pm
FaxModem1 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:03 pm

It was a metaphor for modern US society. I guess they also had a fascist leader who manipulated his way into power but was really just a puppet of a foreign power, but that could never have happened to America in real life.
CrypticMirror, that is one of those if you don't laugh you cry.
Artabax
Officer

Post by Artabax »

No shit, Sherlock
Self sealing stem bolts don't just seal themselves, you know.