Sfdebris fallout 3

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Re: Sfdebris fallout 3

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Yeah I gope under Microsoft it can get management.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Rocketboy1313 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:35 pm
Thebestoftherest wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:22 pm You would think im fallout 4 they could clean up the trash debris so you don't have to worry about an infestation or a mole rat digging a tunnel and being able hide it
I found it weirdly frustrating how shitty the world was in Fallout 4.
After 200 years I would think that the survivors would have picked up the loose debris if for no other reason than to fight off the boredom. There is nothing else to do, gather trash and sort it, melt it down, use it to make planters... SOMETHING!
Meh. I maintain that videogames that become too realistic are no longer fun. My favourite example of all time is GTA San Andreas. Yes, I accept that human beings need to eat and that eating burgers will make me fat - I don't want that emulated in my game. Its needless busywork. Its why GTA games do not require you to fuel up your car (yet).

Point is that searching these ruins for junk to build up your settlement was the best part of Fallout 4 as it made exploration always rewarding - something that was often missing from previous Fallout games. After all, once you've reached the mid-game, where XP no longer really matters, you have your favourite gun and your pockets are weighed down with caps, what's the point in exploring? So that I can find a slightly better hunting rifle or a slightly upgraded suit of armour? But in Fallout 4, suddenly all of those previously worthless aluminium cans and bits of scrap metal have worth.

Incidentally, settlement building is easily the BEST innovation we have had in a modern Fallout game. In fact, I would go as far as to say that the settlement system in Fallout 76 whereby you could build up a town anywhere on the map so that you could interact with other players was the best part of that game and it convinced me that a multiplayer Fallout game need not be a bad thing - where they effed up was not going the GTA5 route by having a solid single player game alongside a solid multiplayer so that everyone is happy.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
TulipQulqu
Officer

Post by TulipQulqu »

Beastro wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:35 am Bethesda (Or rather, Todd) prefers to produce the image of Fallout rather than what it is. They think Fallout is post-apoc ruin, super mutants, dark humour, graphic body dismemberment, etc. That the world was built by Black Isle to be a living developing one despite the oddities was lost on them.

They are shallow thinkers when it comes to Fallout, which is sad because of the depth to the world building in TES (which is, yet again, undermined by Todd). What makes TES work was nuanced fantasy of a sort (Think Daggerfall's intrigue) and the weird metagaming world building like CHIM, not Fus Ro Dah lulz fun shit.
It is really telling that the most verdant and, biologically, lively time and place in all of Fallout has been Fallout 76's West Virginia. And it has all the big factions there already, including the Brotherhood of Steel.

The amount of revitalization seen in Fallout 2 would have the world being basically normal by the time of Fallout 3 and Fallout 4. The institute of Fallout 4 should be part of the normal society there, not some tiny underground. New Vegas has the Followers of the Apocalypse being able to cybernetically enhance the Courier, showing the level of technological recovery the west coast has, with the history of the Chosen One also being able to get combat implants in Fallout 2.

TES has a proper history, but Fallout has no concept of time in the Bethesda works.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

TulipQulqu wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:54 am
Beastro wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:35 am Bethesda (Or rather, Todd) prefers to produce the image of Fallout rather than what it is. They think Fallout is post-apoc ruin, super mutants, dark humour, graphic body dismemberment, etc. That the world was built by Black Isle to be a living developing one despite the oddities was lost on them.

They are shallow thinkers when it comes to Fallout, which is sad because of the depth to the world building in TES (which is, yet again, undermined by Todd). What makes TES work was nuanced fantasy of a sort (Think Daggerfall's intrigue) and the weird metagaming world building like CHIM, not Fus Ro Dah lulz fun shit.
It is really telling that the most verdant and, biologically, lively time and place in all of Fallout has been Fallout 76's West Virginia. And it has all the big factions there already, including the Brotherhood of Steel.

The amount of revitalization seen in Fallout 2 would have the world being basically normal by the time of Fallout 3 and Fallout 4. The institute of Fallout 4 should be part of the normal society there, not some tiny underground. New Vegas has the Followers of the Apocalypse being able to cybernetically enhance the Courier, showing the level of technological recovery the west coast has, with the history of the Chosen One also being able to get combat implants in Fallout 2.

TES has a proper history, but Fallout has no concept of time in the Bethesda works.
Fallout 76 had all the building blocks to be a great game. It only had two major issues: The fanbase wanted Fallout 5 and Todd doesn't seem to understand that you only ever get one first impression in life. Many fans did not wait for the game to be fixed and why should they?
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

clearspira wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:33 am
TulipQulqu wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:54 am

Fallout 76 had all the building blocks to be a great game. It only had two major issues: The fanbase wanted Fallout 5 and Todd doesn't seem to understand that you only ever get one first impression in life. Many fans did not wait for the game to be fixed and why should they?
They shouldn't there was no reason other than pure greed yo release it broken. Hopefully with the death of anthem people will gove games time to grow and not say we will fix it later. Because people got better choices why should I wait for your game to get better when there is dozens of games that are good now.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

If we are going to discuss all of the Fallout games and how they compare. Along with releasing broken or incomplete games to be fixed/finished later.
I would say they should see how much competition they have. Sunday I was considering another go at 76. But was unsure I wanted to bite that bullet considering how sad the game made me initially. (Played on PS4 so would be getting for PC and starting fresh) Instead I found Fallout 1 was for sale and am playing that. 24 year old game, and except for the load screens looking a bit clunky compared to now. It looks and plays fine. About the only thing I had to remember was how unforgiving games that old were.
TulipQulqu
Officer

Post by TulipQulqu »

clearspira wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:33 am Fallout 76 had all the building blocks to be a great game. It only had two major issues: The fanbase wanted Fallout 5 and Todd doesn't seem to understand that you only ever get one first impression in life. Many fans did not wait for the game to be fixed and why should they?
Fallout 76 is the Fallout 5 people should have expected based on the trajectory of things from Fallout 3 to Fallout 4. Less dialog importance, more focus on combat, less focus on NPCs and sidequests, more focus on looting, etc.

Fallout 76 just exposed the insanity of taking this too far.
Independent George
Officer

Post by Independent George »

I can think of twological reasons why the East coast would end up so much worse than the West: (1) more bombs were dropped there in order to target the government/military infrastructure, and (2) it's much more densely populated than the rest of the country, so even amongst the survivors, the raider warfare was much more intense and of a greater scale afterwards.

I didn't play 4 so I don't know if any of this was offered as an explanation, but I'm not bothered by 3 being so desolate in and of itself; I can fill in my own canon as to why. It's more that what remains makes no sense to me - why does a mercenary company exist if there is no economy or organized settlements? For that matter, how the heck does Tenpenny Tower work - what does wealth even mean in this context? The Capital Waste exists mostly to give you lots of things to blow up, loot, and sell, without any underlying logic or emotional connection to the world.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

clearspira wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:57 pm
Meh. I maintain that videogames that become too realistic are no longer fun.
There are limits in both directions. The best games (personally speaking) manage to be as realistic as possible whilst still being fun. More realisim is a plus, it doesn't always have to work in opposition to fun, but it's not always easy (and possibly impossible at some point).
Point is that searching these ruins for junk to build up your settlement was the best part of Fallout 4 as it made exploration always rewarding - something that was often missing from previous Fallout games.
Yes, and I enjoyed it too, although it could've used some refinement. But I don't think that the two are mutually exclusive. You can still have a largely wrecked and dangerous and depopulated world with meaningful islands of civilisation, where people aren't still living and working with 200 year old skeletons lying on the seats.
TulipQulqu
Officer

Post by TulipQulqu »

Independent George wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:48 pm I can think of twological reasons why the East coast would end up so much worse than the West: (1) more bombs were dropped there in order to target the government/military infrastructure, and (2) it's much more densely populated than the rest of the country, so even amongst the survivors, the raider warfare was much more intense and of a greater scale afterwards.

I didn't play 4 so I don't know if any of this was offered as an explanation, but I'm not bothered by 3 being so desolate in and of itself; I can fill in my own canon as to why. It's more that what remains makes no sense to me - why does a mercenary company exist if there is no economy or organized settlements? For that matter, how the heck does Tenpenny Tower work - what does wealth even mean in this context? The Capital Waste exists mostly to give you lots of things to blow up, loot, and sell, without any underlying logic or emotional connection to the world.
Bethesda Fallout has a bit of dumb where "raiders" are usually some kind of undifferentiated mass of evil people who deserve to die.

In Fallout 2, you at least got a sense of which crime ridden towns were acting as bases of operation for the raiders. You could realize that the raiders basically were creating systemic poverty in The Den, because no one except slave buyers would want to go there with any wealth.

New Vegas is good about this, where the Fiends, Khans, and Legion are different kinds of people who attack caravans and you can come to understand them some.

Even when Raiders and Supermutants are different kinds of being in Fallout 3 and 4, they are basically just psychos out to murder the player. They are not really protecting points of interest or anything, just murdering.