VOY: Imperfection

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
CMWaters
Officer

Re: VOY: Imperfection

Post by CMWaters »

My thought about the aeroponics bay was...who was running it now that Kes was off the ship, since that was mostly her thing IIRC?
"You're only given a little spark of madness. And if you lose that, you're nothing."
Robin Williams
1978 HBO Special
Fianna
Captain

Post by Fianna »

Or maybe the flowers themselves are edible, and Neelix was bringing Seven a healthy snack.
SFDebris
The Doctor

Post by SFDebris »

Fianna wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:49 am Or maybe the flowers themselves are edible, and Neelix was bringing Seven a healthy snack.
After seven years, why would now be the time Neelix brought something healthy?
“I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.”

― Herbert Bayard Swope
turbo_sailor67
Officer

Post by turbo_sailor67 »

Tonesthegeek wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:49 pm Ive been waiting for Chuck to review this one as well. I always felt that despite the flaws the series may have had as a whole, the writers did shine when it came to developing Seven's maternal bond with Icheb. Even without words, you can see it in the actors performances, when Icheb tells seven he wants to join Starfleet, you can see subtly that she's expressing pride in him but it's cut short by her implants malfunctioning.
Agreed that the character interactions between Seven and Icheb were a good development; taking what good could come out of a horrible situation - that is the Borg on Voyager. I always hated what they [the writers, or whomever got their ideas about the borg] did on that series because they turned them into weak generic zombies with just some robotic parts like SF Debris will say about other stuff mockingly "but not just any (fill in the blank) because this is the future!" when they had a good thing going back in the early Borg stories. Even Q tells Picard "They're not interested in political conquest, wealth, or power as you know it. They're simply interested in your ship, its technology. They've identified it as something they can consume" what a contrast to the vacuum cleaner approach later on where they assimilate more human like life forms than they seem to do any technology.

There was seriously a borg baby? Well it makes more sense considering "Q, who?" but wow I was so tuned out of Voyager at this point when I was watching it live on TV I don't even recall that part. I was more forgiving of Voyager when I was a teenager and even by the last two seasons, the only episode I remember even vaguely that have *not* been reviewed yet are: Alice, Pathfinder, Collective, Child's Play, Drive, and Lineage.

Seven was an awesome addition yes, I felt that way as a teenager and I feel the same way now; but it got a little ridiculous to me with the addition of the Borg kids. I felt awkward because I seemed to sense some confusion on all parts by the actors of this addition, like are they seriously going to remember they have put Borg children on this show? How will they handle that when they can barely handle doing character development to characters they've had for years - see 7-year Ensign Kim.

Icheb should have been the only addition, it gives Seven a mentor/mentee relationship angle and it would have moved her to less South Park style Kyle's speech "I've learned something today..." like they would do with her over and over.

Last thing that's really funny to me, regarding Seven and her relationships platonic or otherwise, "Her mentoring of One is little different than the way that the Doctor has mentored her; and yet neither would consider that to be a Father/Daughter relationship. Especially given his attraction for her, that would make it a little creepy, wouldn't it?" Well... given that there are as he even has said "Janeway slash Seven shippers" and in the REAL world, Captains of ships are (affectionately) referred to as "the old man", so connect those dots lol.
SuccubusYuri
Officer

Post by SuccubusYuri »

SFDebris wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:06 am
Fianna wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:49 am Or maybe the flowers themselves are edible, and Neelix was bringing Seven a healthy snack.
Oh gods, can you imagine Neelix learning about whole foods if it was written in a post-Food Network world?

NEELIX: Mr Vulcan! I have been trying to study more vegetarian dishes, and found something in the database about these "avocados".
TUVOC: Mr. Neelix...
NEELIX: But we don't have any in the airponics bay, so I made an organic substitute; turtle meat!
TUVOC: How did you acquire organic turtle meat?
HARRY: (running through the halls screaming) WHERE IS SHELLDON!
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

He brought something healthy in Eye of the Needle. Specifically he brought his absence from that episode. :lol:
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

SuccubusYuri wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:12 pm
Oh gods, can you imagine Neelix learning about whole foods if it was written in a post-Food Network world?

NEELIX: Mr Vulcan! I have been trying to study more vegetarian dishes, and found something in the database about these "avocados".
TUVOC: Mr. Neelix...
NEELIX: But we don't have any in the airponics bay, so I made an organic substitute; turtle meat!
TUVOC: How did you acquire organic turtle meat?
HARRY: (running through the halls screaming) WHERE IS SHELLDON!
Sadly avocados went extinct in the great culture wars of the 2020s when the post millennials and the last surviving boomers released a targeted virus which wiped them out. They claimed it was to help the millennials buy houses...
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

They were healthy snacks, just not for that particular person's species or biology.
Killerbee256
Redshirt

Post by Killerbee256 »

SuccubusYuri wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:22 pm I kinda always head-canoned that Seven's implants can't be removed entirely (like say, Picard, or even the Unimatrix Zero hamsters) because of her experience in the maturation chamber. Her body developed with dependencies on the implants, and thus she can't be completely de-Borgified due to some significant gaps in her brain. That always made some sense to me.

Makes less sense that the Doctor can do it with a wave of his de-newting wand, unlike Picard who theoretically had an entire medical base working on him.
That's the way I see it too. We see in timeless that half her skull has been replaced with metal, the cordial node and it's port take up a large area were her neo-cortex should be. Back in the alpha quadrant at a full federation medical facility they might be able to remove all the implants without killing Seven, but the doc can't with only voyagers sickbay. Also my guess is when tuvok heard nelix was coming to see seven he talked the doctor into letting him recover in his room.
Artabax
Officer

Post by Artabax »

Seven was an awesome addition yes, I felt that way as a teenager and I feel the same way now; but it got a little ridiculous to me with the addition of the Borg kids.
Gene's vision was that Wesley is practically perfect in every way.

But in Ahab versus Pitcher plant Bliss VOY Naomi Wildmann is a regular kid doing regular kid stuff.

So TPTB replaced Naomi with Icheb and insisted that Icheb is perfection.
Self sealing stem bolts don't just seal themselves, you know.