Star Trek (DIS): The Wolf Inside

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Worffan101
Captain

Re: Star Trek (DIS): The Wolf Inside

Post by Worffan101 »

clearspira wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:13 pm
Worffan101 wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:26 pm
BigGator5 wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:27 pm
SFDebris wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:24 pmI've got something wrong with my throat. This is actually after editing out the worst parts, believe it or not.

Just wait until you get to Mobile Suit Gundam 3!
Genuinely worried about you.

Anyway, have you heard about the STD Lawsuit yet?
Didn't watch your video because I don't give pageviews to alt-Reich types as a matter of principle, but I can tell you based on my (limited) knowledge of copyright law and cursory research that the lawsuit by that indy game dev is toast because you can't actually trademark an idea, only a particular implementation of an idea. You can trademark certain names, combinations of names and costume pieces, for example "Klingon" or the TNG Klingon makeup, that can be sued over, but you can't trademark stuff like "Alien" or generic aliens with a proud warrior race guy style.

If the guy had obviously similar names and character concepts for each of the characters to the STD cast and/or there was a way to prove that STD's "writers" (I use the term loosely because they clearly were doing more shrooms than writing when they cooked up this bullshit queerbaiting shit show) had at some point seen and/or played the guy's game...then he'd have a case. Since AFAIK neither of those really seems to be the case...I can't see this lawsuit getting anywhere fast.
The game is called Tardigrades and the titular Tardigrades are identical to the creature that Trek calls a Tardigrade. There is a case here.
Yeah, but tardigrades are also real animals, which are much better-known than this game.

I'd have to see the game in more detail but it looks like a case with basically no base to stand on.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

The thing being that tardigrades are real things.
kaingerc
Redshirt

Post by kaingerc »

Yeah, at this point in the show the mushrooms basically become 'The Force'. (midichlorians or whatever)
They can zap you around the universe, allow you to communicate across the multiverse and I think in the next episode they show that they allow you to also speak to dead people.

The only thing that was missing was that they would also somehow allow you to move things with your mind and you could basically call Stamets Obi-Wan.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

kaingerc wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:14 pm Yeah, at this point in the show the mushrooms basically become 'The Force'. (midichlorians or whatever)
They can zap you around the universe, allow you to communicate across the multiverse and I think in the next episode they show that they allow you to also speak to dead people.

The only thing that was missing was that they would also somehow allow you to move things with your mind and you could basically call Stamets Obi-Wan.
I'd argue it's closest to the Webway from Warhammer 40K.
Ghostdraconi
Redshirt

Post by Ghostdraconi »

clearspira wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:13 pm The game is called Tardigrades and the titular Tardigrades are identical to the creature that Trek calls a Tardigrade. There is a case here.
You do know that's a real creature right?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

kaingerc wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:14 pm Yeah, at this point in the show the mushrooms basically become 'The Force'. (midichlorians or whatever)

You know guys, I've suddenly worked out what STD secretly wants to be: Farscape. Because magical warping, talking to the dead mushrooms sounds exactly like something I could see happening on that show. I can see it now: Crichton bouncing around the ship singing Amazing Grace as he warps to different planets whilst being chased by zombie Peacekeepers, all the while the little Scorpius inside his head is wearing an Hawaiian shirt and dancing on the hood of a Cadillac.
Except of course that Farscape established itself as exactly this kind of show from day one rather than coming from a lineage of sci-fi that takes itself far more seriously.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Ghostdraconi wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:50 pm
clearspira wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:13 pm The game is called Tardigrades and the titular Tardigrades are identical to the creature that Trek calls a Tardigrade. There is a case here.
You do know that's a real creature right?
Hedgehogs are real creatures. But if I released a TV series with a blue one that runs very fast and wears red and white sneakers, I imagine that Sega would at the very least take an interest in that.
Same here. Yes, Tardigrades are real creatures. But Tardigrades that are bright blue and power FTL drives on starships are a specific enough piece of intellectual property to raise eyebrows if they appear somewhere else.
kaingerc
Redshirt

Post by kaingerc »

clearspira wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:00 pm

You know guys, I've suddenly worked out what STD secretly wants to be: Farscape. Because magical warping, talking to the dead mushrooms sounds exactly like something I could see happening on that show. I can see it now: Crichton bouncing around the ship singing Amazing Grace as he warps to different planets whilst being chased by zombie Peacekeepers, all the while the little Scorpius inside his head is wearing an Hawaiian shirt and dancing on the hood of a Cadillac.
Except of course that Farscape established itself as exactly this kind of show from day one rather than coming from a lineage of sci-fi that takes itself far more seriously.
I doubt this show will reach a level where Michael gets a brain injury that lets her see the crew members as cartoons. (though that WILL be entertaining to watch in a 'Jumping The Shark' kinda moment)
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

clearspira wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:05 pmAnd no, I refuse to let go the fact that every Mirror universe episode after ''Mirror Mirror'' objectified the majority of our female leads as nymphos and/or lesbians. Its offensive towards women, gays, good storytelling, and continued the negative stereotypes that men who watched Star Trek at the time had.
Oh come on now. Given what you just stated, the mirror universe is the one place where Troi could actually be a useful and interesting character. You should praise it for that.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
FlynnTaggart
Officer

Post by FlynnTaggart »

Discovery seems to follow that old Trek trend of a place where good ideas go to die. A Klingon-Federation War? Who cares, lesbian space Nazis! A Klingon Empire grappling with change and outside influence that is both interesting and has some real world connections? Fuck you, have goatee Sarek and slave Saru, political allegories and exploring challenging real world themes is for losers. A look into the sometimes interesting Mirror Universe and a study of characters we........love? put into a desperate and horrifying situation? Nah, lets make generic evil idiots and barely explore characters and how they are coping. A dead character with a close connection brought back as a big bad? Lets barely mess around with that, gotta have time for more important stuff like titillation and evil shenanigans.

Probably the 3 most interesting aspects to the show, Ash, Lorca, and Georgiou, they effed up. Ash as the tortured PTSD veteran with shades of Reese from AR-558 or as the Klingon infiltrator, Lorca as the hard line Captain who was willing to do whatever its takes to win after the death of his previous crew or as the Mirror Universe Captain who seemed to born with the incredibly ability to not be a complete idiot, and Georgiou as the mentor Captain of the main character betrayed then killed or the ruthless Empress of an impressive regime. Any of those thing could have probably carried entire episodes exploring them but it seems like they are barely touched on, just a few hints if even that, instead focusing on more magic mushroom crap, making a con-man a ruthless murderer, and more Mirror Universe homophobia of "evil is gay/bi" that DS9 had (with the excuse that it happened like 20 years ago).

I think in some ways STD mirrors (ha) the problems of the also "darker and edgier" Stargate Universe. A less then well received show that many fans of previous entries disliked because of the darker tone, doing away with things they liked about previous entries including exploration, unlikable characters, and more "mature" (childish) elements like sex and bewbs. Like STD, Universe seemed to be unable to really sit still and focus on one plot element and didn't take advantage of interesting concepts.

Alot of people say Universe improved by the second season, managed to more humanize characters and explore more interesting elements while keeping their focus, but by then alot of people had long since stopped watching. I almost wonder if STD will suffer the same fate?