Justice League Unlimited 'Clash'

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Robovski
Captain

Re: Justice League Unlimited 'Clash'

Post by Robovski »

Faucet Comic's Captain Marvel was huge back in the day, but DC holds a lot of characters like this (another example, Plastic Man). It can be fun to contrast Captain Marvel with Superman; they are quite similar but have somewhat different powers and weaknesses and I do see CM as an excellent foil to Superman in this story.
Nikas Zekeval
Redshirt

Post by Nikas Zekeval »

Two things that made this episode so powerful? Right up till the scene with Luthor and Waller celebrating? Your viewpoint never let in that this was a set up. Sure we all know Luthor, but the longer it went on, the more you were thinking: "Am I being like Superman, overly paranoid?" From what I recall seeing this originally broadcast, there was a really feeling of doubt, "Maybe this is legitimate." Or at least nothing more nefarious than good public PR spending rather than an insidious plot.

Also the final scene? There was a bit of gloating how Luthor's baiting of Superman exceeded their expectations. They were thinking more some local damage of him taking the direct route to the reactor and destroying it. Enough to seriously set back the move in till it was replaced and the damage fixed.

Captain Marvel jumping in the mess and it turning into a blockbusting superhuman brawl? That was a huge publicity windfall in terms of making people think "Yeah, maybe their should be outside oversight." Because it wasn't Superman going bad for selfish reasons. It was him thinking the situation needed saving, and not listening to anyone that tried to talk him down and say he might be wrong.

It was a more scary idea than heroes going bad that Cadmus planted with this set up. They planted the idea that the heroes could badly misunderstand the situation, and if they wouldn't listen, no one could stop them from "saving" the city into rubble then going, "oops, my bad."
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Damn, Chuck sounds rough. No wonder he took a break. Get well soon, bud.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

I couldn't live on a diet of storylines like this, it works but only because Superman is the Icon and spends most of his time being that, so the occasional diversion into this everybody-sucks style of storytelling has something to play against. If it was just everybody sucks all the time, then I'd be a Marvel fan, and (while I love the whizzbang action movies) I am no Marvel comics fan.

It also needs to wrap up on why Waller et al are not just Wrong (capital R) but also creating the very problems they claim to wish to avoid and are doing it because they desire power, not safety (although trading freedoms for safety is always a losing proposition too, as our daily lives have been increasingly demonstrating for the last 17 years). We need Icons, maybe not so much in real life (although a few of those are no bad thing), but certainly we need them in fiction so as to inspire us to do better and fear less in Real Life.

Which is all to say: I respectfully disagree with Chuck here.

Also, damn man, take some more time off because your voice is still giving my larynx sympathetic pains. I worry about you hurting yourself to put out a show, I'm sure we'll all understand. Take care of yourself, Chuck. We worry.
Trooper924
Redshirt

Post by Trooper924 »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:08 pm I did wonder what auto insurance is like in Metropolis. I can only imagine owing $20,000 on a car that Superman just used as a hammer to slow down Metallo. I mean, sure, stopping Metallo is more important, but I'm going to be spending the next five years taking the bus to work and back while I pay off a car that looks like a five year old tried his hand at modern art.
Reminds me of the novelization of Kingdom Come (a miniseries set in a future version of the DCU) where it's established that pratically nobody owns a car because insurance rates have skyrocketed to an unaffordable level due to all the damage caused by superheroes
Fianna
Captain

Post by Fianna »

With this episode, I started to notice how inconsistent the design of eyes are in the DCAU. Here, Billy Batson's eyes are drawn as simply two black dots on his face, just like they were in his original comics. But everyone else in his class has the whites of their eyes drawn in around their black dot pupils. Meanwhile, you've got characters like Superman who have the outlines for the whites of their eyes drawn on their faces, but without actually filling in that space with white.

It's not a major issue. Just kinda . . . odd.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:08 pm I did wonder what auto insurance is like in Metropolis.
Marvel comics actually has a group that deals with exactly that called Damage Control, who handle damages after superhero fights and the required cleanup. I don't know if there's a DC equivalent.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

Fianna wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:00 pm With this episode, I started to notice how inconsistent the design of eyes are in the DCAU.
On the other side of the coin, every single female in the franchise is identical. (aside from a couple villains like Waller or Granny Goodness.)

If you don't take hair color and costume into account, you can NOT tell any of them apart.
Last edited by RobbyB1982 on Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

RobbyB1982 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:00 pm
Fianna wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:00 pm With this episode, I started to notice how inconsistent the design of eyes are in the DCAU.
On the other side of the coin, every single female in the franchise is identical. (aside from a couple villains like Waller of Granny Goodness.)

If you don't take hair color and costume into account, you can NOT tell any of them apart.
Shortpacked took notice of this:

Reflection
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

FaxModem1 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:20 pm
RobbyB1982 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:00 pm
On the other side of the coin, every single female in the franchise is identical. (aside from a couple villains like Waller of Granny Goodness.)

Shortpacked took notice of this:

Reflection
How many guys have the same lantern jaws, top heavy bodies and nearly identical black hairstyle? The art style throughout is fairly limited. BUT it is important to note, it was functional and I miss the hell out of it after seeing the amount of Teen Titans Go inspired animation they have now. (Have you seen the clips for the new Turtles cartoon? What the hell...)