Code of Honor

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Starbug
Officer

Re: Code of Honor

Post by Starbug »

Can you imagine if something like this had happened on DS9? Some yahoo kidnapped Kira and proclaimed his intent to marry her?

The episode would have to be entitled "The Pimp-Slap Heared Around The Galaxy", because there's no way Sisko would have put up with it.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning,
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Oh hell. Kira would have smeared his ass across the garden. Lutan would have been reduced to so much quivering feebleness. LOL.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

Starbug wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:28 pm Can you imagine if something like this had happened on DS9? Some yahoo kidnapped Kira and proclaimed his intent to marry her?

The episode would have to be entitled "The Pimp-Slap Heared Around The Galaxy", because there's no way Sisko would have put up with it.
"Now listen here, Lu-Tan, you can give Major Kira back right the hell quick or I will personally slap your face with my dick after beating the shit out of you in front of your entire planet. In case you don't think I'm serious, I invite you to inspect the class-twelve quantum torpedoes I have pointed at your planet.

"I also invite you to have a frank discussion with Major Kira's boyfriend. The fellow who until 10 seconds ago was your chair.

"Check and mate, asshole."
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

This is probably the most action we ever see out of Yar. This is the episode where we see that she COULD have been awesome with the correct writing staff: she's a black belt at martial arts, she has an interesting backstory as she is from a very un-Federation like world, we see how calm she is under pressure, she's tough yet clearly kind-hearted. She could have easily been a Ro or a Kira.

Also, i'm going to come out and say it: I think Chuck's condemnation of Yar being turned on by Lutan is bordering on kink shaming. I don't see why you cannot be a strong woman and yet like the idea of being dominated by a man - anymore than you cannot be a strong man who likes being dominated by women. We can argue that this is hardly the time or the place, we can even argue that she may have took it too far, but I sense that isn't Chuck's problem. His problem is the idea of a woman finding this a-hole attractive in the first place despite the fact that women liking bad boys is an extremely common situation.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Because he kidnapped her. Plain and simple.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

clearspira wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:36 pm Also, i'm going to come out and say it: I think Chuck's condemnation of Yar being turned on by Lutan is bordering on kink shaming. I don't see why you cannot be a strong woman and yet like the idea of being dominated by a man - anymore than you cannot be a strong man who likes being dominated by women. We can argue that this is hardly the time or the place, we can even argue that she may have took it too far, but I sense that isn't Chuck's problem. His problem is the idea of a woman finding this a-hole attractive in the first place despite the fact that women liking bad boys is an extremely common situation.
I would say, in the context of this episode and all of the other bigotry on display, it can be safely assumed that wasn't the intent behind her interest. You've already put considerably more thought into it than the writer or director did.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Would you be turned on by whatever sex you're attracted to kidnapping you?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Yukaphile wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:49 pm Would you be turned on by whatever sex you're attracted to kidnapping you?
Nope. That isn't to say that there aren't people who wouldn't be though.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Okay, if I got kidnapped by a bunch of women in leather biker outfits... I'd be worried. Any person who gets turned on by their kidnappers is clearly someone who has a death wish.
BigGator5
Redshirt

Post by BigGator5 »

Yeah, this the cringy-ist (sp?) ST:TNG episode. The stereotypes in this episode is really racist.
"There are worse things out there, than reptiles." -BigGator5