TNG - "Heart of Glory"

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Re: TNG - "Heart of Glory"

Post by Makeshift Python »

Yukaphile wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:34 am I don't like a single one. 8-)
Funny thing, I rather watch the first season of TNG than the first seasons of VOYAGER and ENTERPRISE. There’s a certain staleness, especially by ENT, that makes them a chore to watch. Whereas with TNG it’s terrible but it’s more interestingly terrible because it’s really swinging for the fences in a way the latter years of Berman era Trek rarely did.

Ranking every Trek season, it’s still lower tier.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Makeshift Python wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:21 am Still a few first season episodes he’s yet to cover. Aside from “Heart of Glory” I also liked “The Big Goodbye” and the Bynars episode. Everything else is below average.
I agree.

First season has some terrible episodes, but most of them are more weird or boring than outright bad, IMO.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Makeshift Python wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:21 am Still a few first season episodes he’s yet to cover. Aside from “Heart of Glory” I also liked “The Big Goodbye” and the Bynars episode. Everything else is below average.
I liked the bynars, they are original. That said, they are basically a cute version of the Borg. They drill out your brain whether you like it or not.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

I liked "Home Soil" and "The Battle," even if they were far from perfect. "Home Soil's" aliens were interesting, and "The Battle" gave Picard some background. The solutions to the end problems to both were pretty stupid, though.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

“Ugly bags of mostly water” is the highlight of “Home Soil”, which is otherwise a rip off of “Devil in the Dark”, which curiously had characters not remembering the Horta.

Maybe the Horta became classified like USS Discovery.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Makeshift Python wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:37 am Maybe the Horta became classified like USS Discovery.
Any time a writer says "Oh, I know how I'll fix this stupid problem I created! I'll just say it was classified!" I want to slap their hand and say "No! Bad writer! Bad! Go sit in the corner and think about what you did!"

We really need to have a moratorium on that stupid little crutch of bad writing.
cloudkitt
Officer

Post by cloudkitt »

I've always had a soft spot for Arsenal of Freedom... Probably because La Forge gets to be in command of a battle.

And agreed on the "classified" lazy writing device.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Most season 1's in ST since TNG tend to be bad. So far DS9 could be only exception to that but I could be wrong since I don't remember anything from it's season 1.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
bronnt
Officer

Post by bronnt »

Eesh. You actually liked "The Big Good-bye." It's so tedious.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

DS9 Season 1 blows TNG Season 1 out of the water.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords