SG-1: Meridian

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: SG-1: Meridian

Post by Madner Kami »

I just checked out what Corin Nemec was actually up to, since his departure and only now realize, that he was Parker Lewis. It is... embarassing to never have realized that obvious fact.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
AlucardNoir
Officer

Post by AlucardNoir »

Hm, not even one mention of Demon Core? Disappointing Chuck, disappointing.
If Chuck or a mod reads this feel free do delete my account. I would do it myself but I don't seem to be able to find a delete account option. phpBB should have such an option but I guess this isn't stock phpBB.
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

I think this episode has two things it HAS to do, and it's rather good at one of them. One, it has to say goodbye to Daniel Jackson, and it does that rather well, with the whole building of Ascension mythology built from previous seasons, and what all is involved.

Two, it introduces a new character, Jonas Quinn, and his perspective. I, for one, liked Jonas. But his home planet, and their politics, were always more of an afterthought compared to his being a smart, but fish out of water person on the team. For instance, the line about their countries being against each other? "Meaningless grudges and border disputes." We have no idea what their political philosophies are, economic policies, etc. They are countries Red, Yellow, and Blue. So, Jonas Quinn's culture, as compared to the US, doesn't matter. So, we can't really have a culture clash like Teal'c does with the Jaffa and their way of life versus late 20th century Western civilization. So all we really know about Jonas is that he's clever, nice, principled, and excited to be here.

The Naquadriah plotline kind of fizzled after season 6, and his planet's politics didn't really seem to matter as a whole, since the Stargate team didn't really have cause to visit them. Tretonin, discovered on another planet that was quite similar, featured much more heavily in the canon. I understand why that is, the actor wanted out and they had to come up with a replacement quickly. But it's a missed opportunity for what could have been. Imagine the kind of situation that this could have made, where the United States now has a developing nation that it can foster a trade relationship with, and not have to trade with Earth powers like China.Especially since they have to keep it a secret from the rest of the world, and offsetting costs like that would help. Hammond and O'Neill are way too ethical to do that, but the storytelling potential is there.

Anyway, onto the Ancients, Oma De Sala, and Ascension. This is the better part of the episode, since we get into the 'spiritual crap' that Chuck was describing. Oma De Sala pretty much brings the key part of the philosophy of life when so much is beyond a lot of people's influence. "All that matters is whether you are good or evil."

youtu.be/kVf-lrufj-s

The other stuff is to not run from your inner demons, to accept that death is part of life, and other things that are a bit similar to the noble truths.
Ghilz
Officer

Post by Ghilz »

I do think Jonas / Corin Nemec did get a bum deal from the fans. That said I do think his character didn't realize his potential.

Early they are too busy making him Daniel's replacement, and that was the error. Having him pick Daniel's stuff as the team linguist (with an excuse that he's got a photographic memory, a skill that comes into play all of three times I think besides the language thing). Like Teal'c, Jonas had the ability to bring way more to the table, but I don't think they leaned enough into that.

That said, the actor did fine. Jonas was friendly and engaging.

As for the episode itself, I do think that yes, it's sort of let down by being undone one season later, but on its own it does a great job.

I do wonder about the parallel universe where they got the show where Daniel stays dead, showing up only for the occasional guest role as an ascended being and Jonas stays on the team and gets to grow.

Season 6, Jonas' season, ironically is probably my favorite season in terms of overall quality. LOTS of really solid episodes. Redemption is a great opener, Nightwaler is thrilling and a is a cool change of pace. Abyss and the Changeling, which Chuck covered, are amazing character episodes who make great use of Daniel, especially the later where you're not even sure at first if it's him. The Other Guys is hilarious. Full Circle is a great finale that tied with the movie and pilot.
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

Yeah I really liked Jonas and do think he got a raw deal. Don't get me wrong, I love Daniel too. It's interesting watching him go from the naïve doofus with a heart of gold to the sarcastic badass he was hardened into after RDA left (but still keeping that heart). But it's a pity that Jonas was so underused in his one season and only revisited once after that (though maybe his actor was too busy, I don't know). I thought he and Danial had a great dynamic when they teamed up in the beginning of season 7. Pity they couldn't have expanded the team to 5. (they did eventually and, oh, I love Vala so much)
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Basically after everything he had went through Daniel died and then later on come back to life. I can't think another character in SG1 who was as much universe's punching bag as he was. After all series started with his wife being captured and turned into host for goa'uld and he never managed to get her back. In that sense his optimism was amazing because he was able to keep it so long after everything that had happened to him and those that he cares about. Long enough for him to influence Jonas.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Mickey_Rat15
Officer

Post by Mickey_Rat15 »

"Walking the Great Path brings great responsibility"

Uh, yeah Oma. You Ascended make Tolkien's Valar look like outrageously proactive interventionists. I understand why that is for story purposes. An Ascended would be an easy answer for most problems, but it makes it what she said look dishonest.

Jack is incredibly jaded at this point, isn't he?
A managed democracy is a wonderful thing... for the managers... and its greatest strength is a 'free press' when 'free' is defined as 'responsible' and the managers define what is 'irresponsible'.”

― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress
Mickey_Rat15
Officer

Post by Mickey_Rat15 »

AlucardNoir wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:34 pm Hm, not even one mention of Demon Core? Disappointing Chuck, disappointing.
I thought Chuck might bring it up with the obvious parallels to the Manhatten Project of what Jonas's people were doing. That the accident portrayed here mirrors a real life experiment that went terribly wrong and could have gone horribly wrong without some quick action by the scientist closest to the core.
A managed democracy is a wonderful thing... for the managers... and its greatest strength is a 'free press' when 'free' is defined as 'responsible' and the managers define what is 'irresponsible'.”

― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

Mickey_Rat15 wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:32 am "Walking the Great Path brings great responsibility"

Uh, yeah Oma. You Ascended make Tolkien's Valar look like outrageously proactive interventionists. I understand why that is for story purposes. An Ascended would be an easy answer for most problems, but it makes it what she said look dishonest.

Jack is incredibly jaded at this point, isn't he?
To be fair to Oma De Sala, we see how far that can go if you're not careful. The Ori are proof that constant interference can lead to theocracy, which leads to people not finding their own ascension and power, and viewing lower tier people as tools for your own goals, if not just a fuel source.

That said, they later retconned this to have Oma be the outlier, and the rest of the Ancients could give less of a rat's ass about helping the lower powers, making her walk a tight rope of only helping people when she can get away with it.

Telling people, "Hey, I'm the only one giving a shot that you don't die and can have a life after this one" isn't the best sales pitch.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Mecha82 wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:05 am Basically after everything he had went through Daniel died and then later on come back to life. I can't think another character in SG1 who was as much universe's punching bag as he was. After all series started with his wife being captured and turned into host for goa'uld and he never managed to get her back. In that sense his optimism was amazing because he was able to keep it so long after everything that had happened to him and those that he cares about. Long enough for him to influence Jonas.
Daniel Jackson is Harry Kim with a spine.