The Nexus in ST Generations.

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Re: The Nexus in ST Generations.

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

clearspira wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:52 pm
Mecha82 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:31 pm You have strange taste if you un-ironically like that train wreck of ST movie.
I think there are a lot of good things about Generations. For one, its not Nemesis, The Slow Motion Picture, any of the Kelvin atrocities, Star Trek Discovery or Star Trek Teen Titans.

I think it has one of the best soundtracks of any Trek film, I liked Kirk being introspective about what a mistake he made about becoming an admiral, I liked the stellar cartography room, I liked Soran - who is officially the most successful Star Trek villain of all time. He managed to kill both a main captain and the main ship AND MADE IT STICK - no other baddie can claim that.
There are only two ST movies I like more then Generations, Undiscovered Country and Voyage Home. And my fourth rankled ST film is Beyond.
Call me KuudereKun
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

It's pretty clear in the movie that it's basically a dream. Immersive until you realize what it is, but once suspension of disbelief is gone it's just dull.

As an afterlife the obvious comparison is the Twilight Zone episode "A Nice Place to Visit".
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

mathewgsmith wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:16 pm It's pretty clear in the movie that it's basically a dream. Immersive until you realize what it is, but once suspension of disbelief is gone it's just dull.

As an afterlife the obvious comparison is the Twilight Zone episode "A Nice Place to Visit".
I've never heard dreams described as being dull once you realize it's a dream.
..What mirror universe?
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:37 pm
mathewgsmith wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:16 pm It's pretty clear in the movie that it's basically a dream. Immersive until you realize what it is, but once suspension of disbelief is gone it's just dull.

As someone who very often lucid dreams, and if not is at least aware of "watching" a dream comparable to watching a TV screen, I can say that even if one is fully aware they are not boring.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Beastro wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:09 pm

As someone who very often lucid dreams, and if not is at least aware of "watching" a dream comparable to watching a TV screen, I can say that even if one is fully aware they are not boring.
Lucid dreaming has mostly been circumstantial for me. I did those audio tracks when I was 16 and it worked, but never really kept up with the practice.

And yeah, I get the dichotomy of being immersed in something on TV versus being taken out of it and finding it boring. That is just a non-existent thing with dreams though. It's usually a practice to not wake up even after you find out it's a dream because you can wake up from excitement or fear or something.
..What mirror universe?
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:04 pm

Lucid dreaming has mostly been circumstantial for me. I did those audio tracks when I was 16 and it worked, but never really kept up with the practice.

And yeah, I get the dichotomy of being immersed in something on TV versus being taken out of it and finding it boring. That is just a non-existent thing with dreams though. It's usually a practice to not wake up even after you find out it's a dream because you can wake up from excitement or fear or something.
I've always found lucid dreaming to be an unpleasant grind. Just end up running through a dozen variations of the same scenario and bickering with the npcs about continuity errors. I assumed that was why most people avoid them.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

mathewgsmith wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:51 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:04 pm

I've always found lucid dreaming to be an unpleasant grind. Just end up running through a dozen variations of the same scenario and bickering with the npcs about continuity errors. I assumed that was why most people avoid them.
I think you might be confusing lucid dreaming for something else.
..What mirror universe?
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:04 pm Lucid dreaming has mostly been circumstantial for me. I did those audio tracks when I was 16 and it worked, but never really kept up with the practice.

It's always been something I've had happen that took awhile to realize was a thing others had to work on to do, kinda like practicing "mindfulness" while going for walks when I was always the guy studying everything I walk by.

It's not so much immersion I've experienced, it's just most dreams I'm separated watching them, often making comments to myself, like how some things aren't making sense as the "shows" plays itself out (which I find normal; I'm more fascinated by the dreams I wake up from that leave an impression of total brilliance, that upon reflection, are an incoherent mess).

For Lucid Dreams I'm in a first person perspective knowing I'm "in" the dream and can control myself often running up against whatever the dream is about. The best example of that one where I was standing on the driveway of my childhood home and was been chewed out by a police officer as my mom and aunt stood by. I got tired of the dream demanding me to sit there and take that bored out of my mind, so I made a hand gun appear in my right hand and killed the cop, to which my mom and aunt reacted freaking out saying I'd murdered someone as I kept trying to convince them it was just a dream.

They kept going on for minutes and acting in a way I'd expect both to react if I'd murdered someone in front of them, so after about 5 minutes I paused and thought to myself "What if this isn't a dream?" and as soon as I thought that I woke up.

Others usually are similar, someone in the dream wanting me to play a role until it gets annoying and I go something like take off jumping hundreds of feet into the their bounding away, as I did once when confronted by an uncle in another dream.
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:00 am
I think you might be confusing lucid dreaming for something else.
Either that or he's been playing too much of certain games. I've run into that as well both with games and other events in my recent life being the center of specific dreams. It's neat when a dream will be a variation of a game I haven't played in a long while that actually brings it to mind once I wake up. I had that a couple days ago with a RTS-like dream with elements of the older Command and Conquer games mixed in.

It's made me realize a lot about dreams and what's going on even if I don't know why they exist, it's the rest of you thinking about stuff, possibly trying to explain some things it wants to deal with to you, the conscious self. I've had that with touches of trauma over minor things, like unexpected fights with family members resulting in those members randomly appearing in dreams completely grinding them to a halt until I do something trivial that sets that family member off in a rage directed at me.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Beastro wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:35 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:04 pm Lucid dreaming has mostly been circumstantial for me. I did those audio tracks when I was 16 and it worked, but never really kept up with the practice.

For Lucid Dreams I'm in a first person perspective knowing I'm "in" the dream and can control myself often running up against whatever the dream is about. The best example of that one where I was standing on the driveway of my childhood home and was been chewed out by a police officer as my mom and aunt stood by. I got tired of the dream demanding me to sit there and take that bored out of my mind, so I made a hand gun appear in my right hand and killed the cop, to which my mom and aunt reacted freaking out saying I'd murdered someone as I kept trying to convince them it was just a dream.
I've only had that kind of directive once, but it was much more acute. A nuclear blast went off in the distance, but I was just fed up and tired of that -- that kind of nightmare I guess -- and I made the bright flash revert in on itself as soon as it took to light up but just in reverse. I think I woke up pretty soon after, but knew at that moment that I was controlling a dream. It was prolific in the sense that I just defeated a nightmare.
..What mirror universe?
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

As slow as it is, The Motion Picture is much, much better than Generations.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR