TNG - The Mind's Eye

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Mecha82
Captain

Re: TNG - The Mind's Eye

Post by Mecha82 »

Tokusatsu reviewers have been suffering from this even longer because some Japanese companies like Toei don't even believe in Fair Use but that practice has clearly spread to American companies as well. And yes, Toei has been even claiming Power Rangers reviews because Power Rangers use footage from Super Sentai that they own.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

Part of it is that there are really no negative consequences for false-flagging or otherwise abusing DMCA.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Fianna
Captain

Post by Fianna »

Also, the fair use rule says that you can use excerpts from the thing your reviewing, but only to the extent necessary for your review to make its point. What counts as "necessary" is obviously a matter of opinion, though, so even if Chuck or someone like him went to court over their videos being fair use, and even if they could afford lawyers equal caliber to the corporations in question, a judge could still decide that they were using too much of the work in question to qualify for fair use.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I thought video making in general doesn't really give you legal legs to battle the hosting services.
..What mirror universe?
slochmoeller
Redshirt

Post by slochmoeller »

Wow, did Chuck hurriedly re-edit the minds eye review to fit closer into his youtube friendly format in just a few hours?

1. I am impressed with Chuck for being able to do so to get the video out on the same day,

and

2. I am sad for Chuck that he had to. I love his typical style, and would hate to see it end. But the Youtube friendly "mini" style may well be his only way forward, and we may have to realistically let go of some of the back log.
bronnt
Officer

Post by bronnt »

As for the review itself, now that it's been posted...there's surprisingly little to say about it.

One thing that Chuck nicely points out at the end is that it does a good job if you view this episode as a standalone, but it also advances an underlying plot. It's a good reminder of what's going on with the Klingons, as well as who the Romulans are and what they're doing.

If there's anything disappointing, it's that there's probably good episode's worth of material for Geordi to recover from being mindscrewed. It makes me think of the episode Hard Time, where O'Brien spent the whole episode suffering from PTSD due to his own form of mindscrew, and it would have been nice to give Levar Burton some material like that. But of course, the episode nature of TNG means we never again discuss Geordi's brainwashing, and he's going to be similarly exploited during Generations.
slochmoeller
Redshirt

Post by slochmoeller »

bronnt wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:53 am But of course, the episode nature of TNG means we never again discuss Geordi's brainwashing, and he's going to be similarly exploited during Generations.
Ouch. But accurate. In the latter case, the biggest consequence for his character was deciding it was time to trade the visor in for some ocular implants.

I thought it was a little odd that Chuck couldn't make sense of the juice thing. It has always seemed perfectly clear to me that it was a final field test of Geordi's conditioning before the operation got underway. It was also like to help acclimate the Klingon ambassador to how the system worked, as he was using for the first time.
unknownsample
Officer

Post by unknownsample »

A worrying thought has occured to me what if this happens next week or the week after that and so on. Does this mean Trek reviews are like this from now on?
SFDebris
The Doctor

Post by SFDebris »

To provide some detail:
-The video was set to private
-The video was flagged in less than eight minutes after I uploaded the web page with the embed
-My system is currently set up for only three video sources: Youtube, Vimeo, and now DailyMotion. Any other host would require me to either recode the algorithm for determining the player to include a fourth or writing the page manually from scratch (despite appearances, the only manual involvement in the process is me activating the FTP, never in the actual coding of the individual pages)

Thus, making it bot-proof and loading it to Youtube was the only logical option to ensure timely release. Regular releases were tried on YT and failed, and the circumstances that led to the DM flagging were so odd that a Vimeo upload risked having a third and final strike sent to them, which would bring down almost ALL the videos. It was simply an unacceptable risk in light of the circumstances. Especially because the speed involved makes me wonder if this was even CBS this time, or one of the many angry, crazy people on Youtube who didn't like my They Live video deciding just to cause trouble for me personally.

I really miss Blip.
“I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.”

― Herbert Bayard Swope
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

I really miss Blip, too. :/ I'm starting to wonder, though, if it would have made a difference, or if they'd also be having these DMCA flaggings for reviews constantly. Honestly it kind of puts a buzzkill on any other host, since they could all have this issue, and make the effort of migrating, yet again, entirely pointless.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR