Heaven sent

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Re: Heaven sent

Post by Darth Wedgius »

To spend billions(?) of years torturing someone in a way that they reset every several days seems remarkably inefficient.

Oh, and wrong, of course. Inefficient and wrong.

Logic problems aside, I liked the episode. It felt epic, and it offered a mystery while gradually paying out clues. It made you take another look at what you saw all along and see them in a different light.
BunBun299
Officer

Post by BunBun299 »

This is one of my favorite episodes of Capaldi's run. I loved the creepy castle, the slow moving but relentless monster, and Capaldi just having to deliver a solo act. Only other person around was head Clara, if you can call her a person at all.
Linkara
Officer

Post by Linkara »

Possibly the best episode of Capaldi's run, with a pay-off at the end that feels like it's leading somewhere great... aaaand then the actual finale is so terrible and disappointing.

This is Moffat at his strongest - time bending, clever writing, a good mystery, and inspiring words. I'll rewatch this one all the time even though I'll ignore the one before and after it.
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

Totally missed this episode since I stopped watching at the moon egg and came back for a fresh try with Bill as the companion. It is basically completely skippable. I might watch it now but I don't think I missed anything by missing this half of a season of real worth.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Robovski wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:06 am Totally missed this episode since I stopped watching at the moon egg and came back for a fresh try with Bill as the companion. It is basically completely skippable. I might watch it now but I don't think I missed anything by missing this half of a season of real worth.
The Hybrid thing is stupid and it is best to pretend it never happen.
Fixer
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Fixer »

Linkara wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:00 am Possibly the best episode of Capaldi's run, with a pay-off at the end that feels like it's leading somewhere great... aaaand then the actual finale is so terrible and disappointing.

This is Moffat at his strongest - time bending, clever writing, a good mystery, and inspiring words. I'll rewatch this one all the time even though I'll ignore the one before and after it.
If I ever need to introduce Dr Who to someone, this is the episode I do it with. It's smart, entertaining and makes the a great use of the show's premise.

Discussing this one when it originally came out it was after a very long line of really good setups to series finales that lead to incredibly bad resolutions. That at the very least, had us bolstered for the dissapointment to come.
Thread ends here. Cut along dotted line.
------8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chaltab
Redshirt

Post by Chaltab »

God this episode is so good. I feel like the rest of the arc fell victim to this thing that Moffat always did, this thing where the departure of a companion always has to be them dying-but-not-actually-dying.

He did it with Amy and Rory by having them sent back in time (despite the fact that it would have been trivially easy to go get them by simply taking the TARDIS somewhere other than New York)

Then he did it with Clara in this trio of episodes.

And then he did it again with Bill, where she gets magically revived by her girlfriend.

Like, I dunno, maybe just don't fucking kill off the companions and let them part with the Doctor on good terms? Rose, Martha, and Donna all ended their runs alive, if not entirely whole in Donna's case... there's no reason the Ponds, Clara, and Bill couldn't have just decided that they'd had enough and gone home.
Sailor Nimue
Redshirt

Post by Sailor Nimue »

Chaltab wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:49 am Like, I dunno, maybe just don't fucking kill off the companions and let them part with the Doctor on good terms? Rose, Martha, and Donna all ended their runs alive, if not entirely whole in Donna's case... there's no reason the Ponds, Clara, and Bill couldn't have just decided that they'd had enough and gone home.
To be fair, the novelization for Capaldi's final episode kinda did that with Bill.

That being said, yeah, we need more normal departures. I wonder if Moffat had all of the departures be like this so that there would be no further "guest appearances" by former companions like there were in Davies' run.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Sailor Nimue wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:23 am
Chaltab wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:49 am Like, I dunno, maybe just don't fucking kill off the companions and let them part with the Doctor on good terms? Rose, Martha, and Donna all ended their runs alive, if not entirely whole in Donna's case... there's no reason the Ponds, Clara, and Bill couldn't have just decided that they'd had enough and gone home.
To be fair, the novelization for Capaldi's final episode kinda did that with Bill.

That being said, yeah, we need more normal departures. I wonder if Moffat had all of the departures be like this so that there would be no further "guest appearances" by former companions like there were in Davies' run.
Think about it, Rose, Martha, Donna, the Ponds, Clara, Bill, and 13 companions are all the companions from the new who. So far Martha is the only companion to leave of her own Accord, in almost fifth teen years only one communion left on their own. Maybe two if you count Missy.
BunBun299
Officer

Post by BunBun299 »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:39 am
Sailor Nimue wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:23 am

Think about it, Rose, Martha, Donna, the Ponds, Clara, Bill, and 13 companions are all the companions from the new who. So far Martha is the only companion to leave of her own Accord, in almost fifth teen years only one communion left on their own. Maybe two if you count Missy.
For that reason, Martha's is the only departure I actually like, in spite her being my least liked companion. She had enough, she ran out her story arc, and she left.

I liked Clara more than most people apparently did. And I think that a better conclusion for her would have been just marrying Danny and saying goodbye (and I never cared for Danny). Or let her just be dead after the Raven thing last episode.