Comic: Age of Ultron 1

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Deledrius
Captain

Re: Comic: Age of Ultron 1

Post by Deledrius »

This highlights a specific problem I've had with comics for a long time, and a big reason I've never gotten into them: the individual issues too often feel like nothing happened, and that nothing happened with extremely low density. Of all the times I've bothered to try getting into comics, I could probably count on one hand the number of issues that didn't make me feel like I'd wasted a lot of money on something that took three minutes to read. As a kid they were always far outside of being remotely affordable, and as an adult, I'd rather wait for the trade paperbacks. At least bad issues are easier to swallow in that format.

The rest of the stupid decisions he points out meant to "get new readers" are things I've encountered as well. Some industries really have a hard time with thinking outside of their perspective, so much that it almost hurts trying to wrap my brain around the stupid.
lonewolf23k
Redshirt

Post by lonewolf23k »

While One More Day didn't get me to stop reading Marvel comics entirely, it did get me to stop reading Spider-Man comics for a long time. Now, DC's Flashpoint? THAT got me dropping DC Comics entirely.
LordUltimus
Redshirt

Post by LordUltimus »

MyUserName wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:45 am
CrypticMirror wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:30 am
MyUserName wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:06 am
Rodan56 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:08 am
MyUserName wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:02 am I'm guessing this was a paid request. Because honestly, I think a much more fitting and hopeful story to end the year on would have been Age of Apocalypse. That was a story that was truly epic and defined a hero's journey. Heroic characters facing hopeless and impossible odds on a journey where they will sacrifice everything to bring back a better world with more hope and life.
I thought he described this idea as "These are stories that are available to me through comixology Unlimited post-One More Day that I wish to cover." I'm not sure, I'll need to watch the intro again, I wasn't paying enough attention.
If he's got comixology unlimited than I cry foul for subjecting us to this. He could be covering Spider-Man 2099 by Peter F*cking David! Or the initial Battle Angel Alita run. Anything other than subjecting us to bendis.
Peter David is even more litigious than CBS's bot-army when it comes to people covering his work. He's verboten on a lot of sites because of his attitude towards fans of his comics.
Peter Davids always been a champion of Geek Culture and its hard to see him preventing coverage of his work. When some media tried to attack comic book readers earlier this year, Peter David stood up for comic book and geek culture, and called out the shill media. I'll need a link showing him opposing coverage of his work.
Here you go.
[url]https://www.peterdavid.net/2016/02/24/scans_daily-again/[/url]
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

LordUltimus wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:37 pm Here you go.
[url]https://www.peterdavid.net/2016/02/24/scans_daily-again/[/url]
Seems pretty direct, especially in his responses in the comments. Without getting the proper permission through Marvel, the type of full review done here would probably qualify for his flagging it up the chain with his publisher. Amusing how he tries to hide behind the legal deflection of ownership. Copyright absolutists are a massive problem.
Coyote's Own
Redshirt

Post by Coyote's Own »

Chuck, I don't want to be pendatic, but since your butcher the name of one my favorite Marvel character: It Taskmaster not Targetmaster.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Coyote's Own wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:39 pm Chuck, I don't want to be pendatic, but since your butcher the name of one my favorite Marvel character: It Taskmaster not Targetmaster.
I thought that was weird. I thought maybe it was another character I never heard of.
So what I am getting the movie was better?
Coyote's Own
Redshirt

Post by Coyote's Own »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:55 pm I thought that was weird. I thought maybe it was another character I never heard of.
So what I am getting the movie was better?
The movie had even less to do with the comic the Civil War (adn both were better for it).
AoU is generally a remarkable event comic about how Sue and Logan screwed and has very little to do with Ultron (as you might have discovered by know).

[spoiler]The only really notable thing about it was that started Logan's death march, as it turns out all the time-traveling screwed up his healing factor (which means he's start suffering for Adamantium poisoning). And in the end, he dies of unrelated causes (being encased in Adamantium).
He's better now, but it did give us two-three years of All-New Wolverine staring Laura/X-23, which were very good comics.[/sblock]

I kind of hope Chuck might brake his Spider-Man aversion, for at least Spider-verse and Spider-geddon, because he's missing some very good comics and very good character (like Earth-65 Gwen).
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Actually this does raise up a question if your story feel like an what if and takes place semi in the future why not make it an elsewhere? Same thing in future end why try to act like it is Connected when it is clearly not. I actually would have like if Tony or Future Hank or even wasp went with them. How would it have gone if Hank had to accept that the reason that Ultron is a villain is because he too much like Hank himself to be anything else.
Rodan56
Officer

Post by Rodan56 »

Coyote's Own wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:23 am I kind of hope Chuck might brake his Spider-Man aversion, for at least Spider-verse and Spider-geddon, because he's missing some very good comics and very good character (like Earth-65 Gwen).
Well, Spider-Gwen... Ghost-Spider currently, is not really connected to Spider-Man's decision to fuck over his marriage. Nor is Miles Morales, so in theory he could take a look at them since they didn't make deals with a demon. Also, technically, he could look at Superior Spider-Man too because... it doesn't actually feature Peter.

I'd like to see him look into Gwenpool. Better yet, Kamala Khan, the new Ms Marvel. She's a good enough character on her own that she proves Marvel is capable of getting back to where it used to be instead of shooting itself in the foot.

If he's only looking at specific events though or arcs then I kinda hope he takes a look at Monsters Unleashed. That's a fun book, even if it isn't like a groundbreaking earth shattering story.

I know I'm suggesting good stuff and that's rarely as funny, but I'd like to hope Chuck would get to read some good stories to wash the taste of bad he got from OMD. Cause Marvel still writes good stuff, it's just sometimes it sorta shoots itself in the foot when it comes to big events.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

LordUltimus wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:01 am Wow, Chuck really hates Bendis.
He's the Brannon Braga of comics.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.