Short Treks: Ask Not

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Enterprising
Officer

Re: Short Treks: Ask Not

Post by Enterprising »

Jonathan101 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:36 pm Doesn't hurt if the Admiral you are disobeying happens to die.

Heck, same thing happens in "Insurrection".

Starfleet Admirals shouldn't give Jean-Luc Picard questionable orders. The universe seems to kill them for it.
Actually Admiral Hayes survived. :D He does the messages to Voyager in episodes post First Contact's stardate.

The situation for Insurrection was....contrived to say the least. First in that Admiral showing with just a puny Venutre scoutship, his orders might have had more clout behind them if he had a Lakoda refit Excelsior or a Galaxy class. Then there's the whole thing with the Federation citizens in TNG they were going to forcibly remove from the planet handed to the Cardassians. Picard was going to follow the order, just reluctant in doing so. Why he would follow that order, but suddenly defy them for non Federation people who have warp drive, is a complete mystery. (In universe it is, but in reality it's because it's needed for the film's crappy plot to happen.)
bguy
Redshirt

Post by bguy »

Enterprising wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:27 pmThe situation for Insurrection was....contrived to say the least. First in that Admiral showing with just a puny Venutre scoutship, his orders might have had more clout behind them if he had a Lakoda refit Excelsior or a Galaxy class. Then there's the whole thing with the Federation citizens in TNG they were going to forcibly remove from the planet handed to the Cardassians. Picard was going to follow the order, just reluctant in doing so. Why he would follow that order, but suddenly defy them for non Federation people who have warp drive, is a complete mystery. (In universe it is, but in reality it's because it's needed for the film's crappy plot to happen.)
Is that really that implausible? It's not exactly unheard of for a man who avoided a fight and then felt ashamed of himself for doing so to then go looking for another fight to redeem himself. Thus I could certainly believe that a Picard that felt he made the wrong decision by going along with Starfleet's orders in that TNG episode might jump at the chance to make the opposite choice in Insurrection.
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

bguy wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:53 pm Is that really that implausible? It's not exactly unheard of for a man who avoided a fight and then felt ashamed of himself for doing so to then go looking for another fight to redeem himself. Thus I could certainly believe that a Picard that felt he made the wrong decision by going along with Starfleet's orders in that TNG episode might jump at the chance to make the opposite choice in Insurrection.
That's honestly a really interesting idea, and I do wish this was brought up in Insurrection.

This could also tie into Star Trek Picard, that now he was an admiral he had not only his reputation, but also the rank, no longer had to go along with Federation or Starfleet policies and could actually do something when the Romulans were endanger.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard