Sfdebris fallout 3

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: Sfdebris fallout 3

Post by CharlesPhipps »

PapaPalpatine wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:33 am And if someone's such a a flaming idiot that they to want to leave the Vault without knowing for sure what condition the outside world is in, will keeping them around really be that good for the gene pool? If they start making trouble after being forced to stay, you'll just end up having to order their execution anyway. Let them go to Burger King and have it their way.
It depends as it turns out there's a perfectly functional settlement like a half-mile from the Vault made from those people who weren't allowed in Megaton. The Vault was only supposed to be a temporary measure and at some point, survival chances actually go up once you leave the Vault. The Capital Wasteland may be the worst hellhole ever in a world that's a hellhole but the idea is to eventually rebuild and the Vaults aren't designed to function forever either.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

PapaPalpatine wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:33 am And if someone's such a a flaming idiot that they to want to leave the Vault without knowing for sure what condition the outside world is in, will keeping them around really be that good for the gene pool?
Leaving aside heritability of intelligence (which is sort of central to your point):

1) The effects of inbreeding are much worse than the effects of letting unintelligent people reproduce. Philip IV and Mariana of Austria didn't appear to have any major problems, but their son Charles II was severely disabled. Keeping a less intelligent people around is a small price to pay compared to the slow death of inbreeding.

2) Intelligence is no guarantee that someone will make a reasonable decision. Well-adjusted people with below average intelligence can (and often do) make good decisions because they defer to people who know what they're talking about. Intelligent people are very good at tricking themselves into believing ridiculous things (consider Shockley, flat-earthers for example).
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Poor Butch's mom.

But, honestly, the game seems very happy about letting you kill people with friendly fire.

VATS is really the only way to take them out.
Jonathan101
Captain

Post by Jonathan101 »

Ron Perlman: "War. War never changes."

David Hayter: "Are we going to have a problem?"
FlynnTaggart
Officer

Post by FlynnTaggart »

Fallout 3 is a great if flawed game I think. Though I played Fallout 1 back in the day 3 is what got me into the series (never been a fan of turn based games, feels like a DMV simulator but thats purely personal opinion). A fun game with wonky combat, a fascinating if kinda ugly world (thankfully there are mods to remove that green tint), and a meh story. Still an amazing game, probably the best thing about it and something I don't think has been beaten by any later games in exploration. Exploring downtown DC, popping in and out of the Metro tunnels with their own battles and horrors, stumbling upon long abandoned locations, then coming up for fresh air in the haunted moans of the destroyed buildings, its got an atmosphere that is second to none. I love NV but the worldspace is so boring.

I do look forward to hearing Chuck's opinion on the game itself, he's clearly a fan. Hopefully he does one of his deep dives into the backstory of the game, the beginnings from Wasteland with the goal of creating a tabletop RPG video game, the problems at Interplay with mismanagement, Fallout 2 that seemed rushed but was a good game despite its problems, and Van Buren the canceled Fallout 3 that had many of its idea and themes reworked for NV. Its an interesting saga.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I have an affection for Fallout 3 that gets me resoundingly mocked on No Mutants Allowed. That game is not popular with the "classic" fans but for me it does have the best Fallout atmosphere. The green tinge, for me, is an ever-present reminder that you're in a hellish nuclear wasteland. It's not as grimdark as the original Metro and has a lot of kooky 1950s science fiction but the Capital Wasteland is by far the most depressing place to visit in the modern Fallout world.

So you single-handedly turning it around as a Good Karma Lone Wanderer actually feels like a huge accomplishment.
Mindworm
Officer

Post by Mindworm »

Rocketboy1313 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:31 pm I have tried to play Fallout 3 so many times and I always stahl out on the main quest.
The narrative just does not have the thrust I was looking for.
And good lord the aiming in that game is so shitty that without VATS it nears unplayable (as all the enemies scoot and slide around so randomly that it a clay duck game at the circus seems fair by comparison). And don't get me started on how all the guns seem to be made out of graham crackers held together with chewing gum and hope.
I actually found combat pretty easy in Fallout 3, kept pumping small guns, kept my sniper rifle repaired and in most cases I was golden. For close in work I had a combat shotgun and for deathclaws a gatling gun, after about hitting level 10 never had a problem (outside of being nuked).

In my first playthrough on the 360 I used VATs maybe five times, all early on, and ditched it afterwards. On the PC playthroughs never used the thing, apart from spotting far off targets to snipe by scope.
Soulless minion of orthodoxy.
Mindworm
Officer

Post by Mindworm »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:47 pm I have an affection for Fallout 3 that gets me resoundingly mocked on No Mutants Allowed. That game is not popular with the "classic" fans but for me it does have the best Fallout atmosphere. The green tinge, for me, is an ever-present reminder that you're in a hellish nuclear wasteland. It's not as grimdark as the original Metro and has a lot of kooky 1950s science fiction but the Capital Wasteland is by far the most depressing place to visit in the modern Fallout world.

So you single-handedly turning it around as a Good Karma Lone Wanderer actually feels like a huge accomplishment.
It was the small things put into the game that really got me immersed, for example reading the diaries from the emergency relief team leader dotted around the Germantown police station, which I thought was probably the best single bit of the whole game.
Soulless minion of orthodoxy.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Mindworm wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:25 pm
CharlesPhipps wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:47 pm I have an affection for Fallout 3 that gets me resoundingly mocked on No Mutants Allowed. That game is not popular with the "classic" fans but for me it does have the best Fallout atmosphere. The green tinge, for me, is an ever-present reminder that you're in a hellish nuclear wasteland. It's not as grimdark as the original Metro and has a lot of kooky 1950s science fiction but the Capital Wasteland is by far the most depressing place to visit in the modern Fallout world.

It was the small things put into the game that really got me immersed, for example reading the diaries from the emergency relief team leader dotted around the Germantown police station, which I thought was probably the best single bit of the whole game.
Agreed. There was also some pretty horrifying shit in the world-building that is the embodiment of Fridge Horror like finding a teddy bear in those portable shelters. The ones that would only help if someone was going to come rescue the people inside (which they weren't as it was just a scam).
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:47 pm So you single-handedly turning it around as a Good Karma Lone Wanderer actually feels like a huge accomplishment.
I like that idea, but I wish there were more divergence in the plot.
It is the same complaint I have for Skyrim, "why can't I side with the Necromancer Queen's ghost in Wolfskull Cave?" except here it is, "Why can't I throw in with the Enclave early on and just work with them instead of the Brotherhood?"

I wanted there to be more options. I am big on New Vegas, and the idea that the Enclave is just "the Bad Guys" is lame, especially where they are introduced. They needed to establish them earlier.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13