Superman AS: World's Finest

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Ikiry0
Officer

Re: Superman AS: World's Finest

Post by Ikiry0 »

I do like this crossover. I do feel like it has Batman's stuff overshadow Superman's a bit though. Joker thoroughly beats Supes *and* Lex, requiring Batman without really much turnaround save the robot in the printing machine (Which is then immediately followed up by Batman beating up bigger robots). I'd have rather liked Supes to get in a little more of a showing as a smart person himself, rather than pretty constantly falling into the Joker's/Batman's tricks.

Still, that's a very minor nitpick and I do overall love this crossover.
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

"Worlds Finest" is a fantastic crossover, and I love Superman The Animated Series overall, my personally favourite episode is "The Late Mr. Kent" and do hope that Chuck reviews it in the future, and the reason I love this series is because of its characters, I personally feel that this series has the best interpretations of Superman/Clark Kent, Lois Lane, and Lex Luthor, and had a great supporting cast with Dan Turpin as just one example.

I'd even say that this 3 part/film was a great way to get newcomers who only were invested in Batman The Animated Series to see what Supermans series was all about.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
Coyote's Own
Redshirt

Post by Coyote's Own »

Thankfully comic Mercy (Graves), got an upgrade since they made her an Amazon.
Scififan
Officer

Post by Scififan »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:04 pm Also the one where Clark teams up with Tim.
Knight Time was one of my favorite episodes.
Scififan
Officer

Post by Scififan »

Even thought it was off screen, I loved the fight between Mercy and Harley.
bigman6969
Redshirt

Post by bigman6969 »

Chuck, when you mentioned Batman keeps Robin in a cave, I think you're confusing him with Crazy Steve.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

lol @ Joker trolling before trolling was a thing.
Power laces... alright.
stellar_coyote
Officer

Post by stellar_coyote »

bigman6969 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:09 am Chuck, when you mentioned Batman keeps Robin in a cave, I think you're confusing him with Crazy Steve.
Well Timm and Dini have mentioned how they didn't like using Robin in their series. So it's not out of character for DCAU Batman...
ChrisTheLovableJerk
Officer

Post by ChrisTheLovableJerk »

Ikiry0 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:30 am I do like this crossover. I do feel like it has Batman's stuff overshadow Superman's a bit though. Joker thoroughly beats Supes *and* Lex, requiring Batman without really much turnaround save the robot in the printing machine (Which is then immediately followed up by Batman beating up bigger robots). I'd have rather liked Supes to get in a little more of a showing as a smart person himself, rather than pretty constantly falling into the Joker's/Batman's tricks.
One peeve I have for the DCAU is that it shows too much favoritism to Batman, though it's understandable why, given he's its origin.

I recall they planned to balance this in JLU, by merging the Tower of Babel storyline with the Cadmus arc, where they planned for Batman to betray the Justice League to Cadmus because of his paranoia about the Justice Lords, enlisting powerless characters like Huntress and Wildcat to do it, but Huntress would turn on Batman and snitch on him to Superman so he would help her save Question. I think DC or one of the crew realized it made Batman look really bad so axed it. Watching JLU, you can really see the seeds for it being sown.
MerelyAFan
Officer

Post by MerelyAFan »

What's funny is that Batman Beyond (without necessarily intending to) ended up deconstructing his portrayal in the DCAU pretty hard; with the focus on his skills and growing coldness eventually leading him to be a solitary old man in a still troubled Gotham barely keeping any contact with people before meeting Terry.