Shin Godzilla review

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Re: Shin Godzilla review

Post by CrypticMirror »

This movie is actually a ringing endorsement of government systems and bureaucracy. The old government was making the right decisions for normal circumstances, and when it turned out the situation was abnormal the system made sure the protagonist was already in place to be able to step in and try a new approach. His approach would not have been able to work without all the bureaucracy beneath him ensuring all that equipment and personnel was available to him and would be willing to obey him. The message is that abnormal situations may need unexpected changes, but if you trust in the system then it will support you in resolving them. I like it. The government is there to help you.
Coyote's Own
Redshirt

Post by Coyote's Own »

Ok, i wrote my Master thesis in large part on Susanoo-no-Mikoto, so I really feel the need to nitpick this:
Yamata no Orochi (the eight-headed serpent) was killed by Susanoo-no-Mikoto (the god of oceans and storm).
Yashiori is the name for the eight-time distilled sake that Yamata no Orochi was given to drink.
Marveryn
Officer

Post by Marveryn »

The deal with the start of the film is yeah is was a parody on how japan handle national emergency. A great deal of Japanese government is run by a large bureaucracy with multiple dept. Among the issue is that due to treaty with the us and among others japan is limited on its military response or how it can use the military. (ergo that bit with finally letting the military off the leash taking so long) Because its has to many branches they all got to talk and talk and talk before they get to the real meeting.
Part of all the stuff in the beginning was removing the endless red tape to do stuff.

the bit with the xpert i think was the notion that godzilla could not ever trully exist cause such a massive creature could not handle its own weight on land. Toho just sticking its thumb at them cause it don't matter they going to have a big monster no matter what. Once you get the context about how japan run is government the rest of the movie start to fall into place.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Marveryn wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:37 am The deal with the start of the film is yeah is was a parody on how japan handle national emergency. A great deal of Japanese government is run by a large bureaucracy with multiple dept. Among the issue is that due to treaty with the us and among others japan is limited on its military response or how it can use the military. (ergo that bit with finally letting the military off the leash taking so long) Because its has to many branches they all got to talk and talk and talk before they get to the real meeting.
Part of all the stuff in the beginning was removing the endless red tape to do stuff.

the bit with the xpert i think was the notion that godzilla could not ever trully exist cause such a massive creature could not handle its own weight on land. Toho just sticking its thumb at them cause it don't matter they going to have a big monster no matter what. Once you get the context about how japan run is government the rest of the movie start to fall into place.
It is likes a giant monster care what you think is impossible.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

stellar_coyote wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:11 am Watching this I'm reminded of those immortal words as spoken by a certain Mike Nelson.

"I'm the government, I'm the government. I'm the reason nothing works!"
It's funny. It's obviously an MST3K joke but its used so often as a running gag in Atop the Fourth Wall I just instantly associate Linkara with that quote instead.
Linkara wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:10 am Just a note -
Who coincidentally posted right below you.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

Okay, I have a question.
Was there a translation problem? Because Chuck says they are feeding Godzilla blood coagulant because the blood is cooling the body. So wouldn't removing the coolant make him over heat? Maybe catch fire or explode? Also blood coagulant. Wouldn't that kill the creature long before thermodynamics comes into play? I mean heart failure or stroke are not minor inconveniences.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Nealithi wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:47 pm Okay, I have a question.
Was there a translation problem? Because Chuck says they are feeding Godzilla blood coagulant because the blood is cooling the body. So wouldn't removing the coolant make him over heat? Maybe catch fire or explode? Also blood coagulant. Wouldn't that kill the creature long before thermodynamics comes into play? I mean heart failure or stroke are not minor inconveniences.
Possibly
Beelzquill
Officer

Post by Beelzquill »

I haven't seen the movie so didn't realize it was dubbed by funimation so hearing the Yaguchi speak with the same voice as Ling from Fullmetal Alchemist threw me for a loop.
Mangod
Redshirt

Post by Mangod »

Ok, I need to ask; what is that fast-talking commercial from Part 1 from and/or about?
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Mangod wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:27 pm Ok, I need to ask; what is that fast-talking commercial from Part 1 from and/or about?
FedEx
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu