DS9: Duet

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Re: DS9: Duet

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

I made a joke the other day about how they could have made good use of Tasha Yar, then I said, "Well, that character was better when she was named Ensign Ro... and better still when she was Major Kira."

Who knows how characters will grow and change as they are given more screen time and backstory? Look at Chief O'Brien, very small character that grew considerably. If the same attention had been given to any number of minor characters from TNG or Voyager who knows what would have developed.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

I often wonder who Tasha Yar would have been by All Good Things...

We'll never know, but I can be pretty sure it would have been better than what she was.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Deledrius wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:11 am I often wonder who Tasha Yar would have been by All Good Things...

We'll never know, but I can be pretty sure it would have been better than what she was.
I wonder about that as well. She was a pretty much a blank slate as far as character was concerned by her death. With her death though it allowed Worf to become something more. I doubt they would have been able to do both, without detriment to both characters.

She may have ended up like Troi and Crusher though. With the writers not sure what to do with them for 7 seasons.
I got nothing to say here.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

McAvoy wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:29 pm
Sir Will wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:45 pm
McAvoy wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:52 am
CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:19 pm Ensign Ro and Kira are oddly reversals of each other in a lot of ways.

Much of the series would be different because Ensign Ro is both a person who fled Bajor, trusted the Federation, and was also an atheist.
She was also far more head strong than Kira was. I did forgot about her beliefs. That would have made things interesting, since the wormhole effectively reinforces Bajor's belief system. Whether they view them as simply wormhole aliens or not.
Really? I thought Kira could be really damn stubborn. Though I suppose her religiousness did have her deferring to a 'higher authority' more often, especially since Sisko himself became part of it.
Early seasons Kira was stubborn, sometimes. Later on she softened.

Ro Lauren was stubborn 24/7.
Ro Laren was always early seasons Ro Laren 24/7 though. She didn't stick around long enough for us to know what "late seasons Ro Laren" would have been like.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Durandal_1707 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:01 am
CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:19 pm Ensign Ro and Kira are oddly reversals of each other in a lot of ways.

Much of the series would be different because Ensign Ro is both a person who fled Bajor, trusted the Federation, and was also an atheist.
She was also far more head strong than Kira was. I did forgot about her beliefs. That would have made things interesting, since the wormhole effectively reinforces Bajor's belief system. Whether they view them as simply wormhole aliens or not.
Really? I thought Kira could be really damn stubborn. Though I suppose her religiousness did have her deferring to a 'higher authority' more often, especially since Sisko himself became part of it.

Ro Laren was always early seasons Ro Laren 24/7 though. She didn't stick around long enough for us to know what "late seasons Ro Laren" would have been like.
That is true. I think what we could have seen from her would have been in her last episode.

I'd imagine she would have been developed just like O'Brien was in DS9.
I got nothing to say here.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Deledrius wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:11 am I often wonder who Tasha Yar would have been by All Good Things...

Denise Crosby claims that Gene once told her that she existed solely to be boobs in a tight shirt. I for one think that is probably true as Star Trek treated women like sex objects for such a long time. Future of equality my arse.

Problem is, I do not rate Denise Crosby's acting skill. She certainly is no Michelle Forbes. Imo, Yar would have been cut price Ro at best, and if the sex object thing remained, I do not believe we would be sitting here praising her as her character would not have aged well.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

It's interesting that despite being in so relatively few episodes, Ro always feels like a real part of the crew.
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

To a point. I mean, she still stared down a fleet of warbirds. And convinced Sisko to let her use time travel to see if Dukat boned her mom (man that was dumb). Ro might have lightened up too.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Kira was a resistance member whereas Ro grew up in a camp. Or in other words, Kira was a fighter, Ro was a victim. This is going to produce two completely different people no matter how similar in overall personality they may be.

And we see this with their paths in life. Kira became a high ranking member in her planet's army, first officer and later commander of one of the most important stations in the galaxy, played a pivotal role in an interstellar war, and personally knew both the Emissary of the Prophets and the Kai.

Ro on the other hand ran away to Starfleet, got imprisoned in disgrace because she disobeyed orders, redeemed herself briefly before turning traitor with the Maquis. Where she probably died when the Dominion wiped them all out if we take what Eddington said at face value.

I think that the connecting pattern here is that Kira learned from the Occupation to fight for what she believes in whereas Ro learned that the only person she can trust is herself and thus is constantly either on edge around others or is disobeying authority. The irony being that the happiest we ever see her throughout the series is when she was suffering from amnesia (and thus boned Riker). This is perhaps the closest we ever came to seeing the ''real'' Ro Laren.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Oof. That's heavy.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville