Flesh and Bone (BSG)

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
jstrahan
Officer

Re: Flesh and Bone (BSG)

Post by jstrahan »

As a fan of the original series (I was in college then), I refuse to watch any version of Battlestar Galactica that has a woman playing Starbuck. Call me what you will, but that's the way it is.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

You're missing out on some good stuff.
Mickey_Rat15
Officer

Post by Mickey_Rat15 »

Durandal_1707 wrote:
RobbyB1982 wrote:Yeah, the one played by Dean Stockwell was doubled up in the fleet, that's how they officially figured out he was a Cylon.
No, they figured out he was a Cylon when the one from Caprica came over as an envoy. There had only been one Cavil in the fleet.

The Fleet Cavil was quite miffed that his brother got him outed.

I think Starbuck's logic about the Cylons sweating is bit flawed. If Cylons have mimicked human bodies as closely as it needs a special device to tell the difference then it would be dangerous for a Cylon to not sweat. Sweating is how humans keeping from overheating, a cylon could only stop sweating as far as they have other means to keep cool.
A managed democracy is a wonderful thing... for the managers... and its greatest strength is a 'free press' when 'free' is defined as 'responsible' and the managers define what is 'irresponsible'.”

― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress
Fixer
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Fixer »

I thought the Cavil reveal was a bit cheap.

You reveal a character is a cylon in the same episode you introduce him.
Thread ends here. Cut along dotted line.
------8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

RobbyB1982 wrote:
excalibur wrote:I am still a bit sour over how this show ended. It tried to tie so much into our Earth's culture and origins that it literally wrote itself into a corner at the end and faux explained the ending and how it can be possible.

Not sure how many of us have actually see this show, but I found the ending just unsatisfying,
Everyone complains about the ending but... considering the show had prophecies that were consistently right and characters claiming to be angels right from the start, (even if the audience assumed that part wasn't true) it wasn't really out of place. But people tend to not like it when the end of their sci-fi mystery turns out to be something even vaguely mystical or religious, it's the same problem people had with LOST... nevermind that the religious stuff was a heavy element the entire time.

If anything, I have a much larger problem with them eventually revealing there were five Cylons that only had one copy at a time, and that those five for some reason had amnesia and were ALL in the main cast on the main ship, having all somehow miraculously survived the destruction of the planet and all the losses while in space. That was what pushed it too far for me.
Nooo, I think the problem people had with the ending was not the mysticism, it was the sense that somebody rushed it out at the last minute when they were surprised at not getting cancelled and had a deadline to meet.

Also the lost ending really did not answer a lot of the questions asked, and the BSG ending was painfully ironic in its Luddite attitude.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
ChiggyvonRichthofen
Captain

Post by ChiggyvonRichthofen »

ORCACommander wrote:let's not talk about the 3rd and 4th season while we are talking about episodes from the good seasons ok?
Yeah, I'll defend the show's later seasons (even the ending, to some extent), and there were a handful of storylines that were up to par (or better). But the first two seasons are definitely much stronger overall and something that would be nice to discuss without the final five, the ending, or any of the ill-advised season 3-4 plots getting in the way. Obviously it still stings for some.
Mickey_Rat15 wrote: I think Starbuck's logic about the Cylons sweating is bit flawed. If Cylons have mimicked human bodies as closely as it needs a special device to tell the difference then it would be dangerous for a Cylon to not sweat. Sweating is how humans keeping from overheating, a cylon could only stop sweating as far as they have other means to keep cool.
I don't think Starbuck is concerned about logic but is trying, however she can, to find whatever it is that will tick off a cylon. Some of Starbuck's complex issues are more fully explained later in the series, but it's clear that there is some cognitive dissonance on her part that plays a big role in her actions here. On a gut level she really does think (or is afraid she thinks) that the cylons are something more than toasters, and so she'll take any opportunity to insist that that's all they are. In short, her arguments are a bit erratic, and that's part of the point.
The owls are not what they seem.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

Saying Adama is a Cylon takes on new meaning after watching Caprica.

I actually like BSG's last season the best. It was the most consistent.
Call me KuudereKun
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

I liked Starbuck a lot better in the first season than later on when it seemed to become more about melodrama. This coincides with my feelings on the series as a whole. I'm not even on board with most of the second season, personally. For me it took a real dip when Adama's coup happened, and I thought the resolution to that was crap, and the writing after that point wasn't very strong, IMO.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Wolf359
Redshirt

Post by Wolf359 »

J!! wrote:Something that always bugged me about this show is that once they figure out there are multiple Cylons running around with the same face, they never actually use that information to ferret out infiltrators. Really, how hard would it have been to distribute this guy's face to the fleet, with instructions to apprehend on sight?

On a larger scale, since they're keeping an exact head-count of the human race anyway, why not institute a mandatory photograph and fingerprint program? Then they can see if anyone face/print shows up in more than one place at a time.
They did, Roslin went public with the identities of Doral and Leoban. That's how the Leoban on the Gemenon Traveller was recognised. It seemed to get forgotten though when later models were exposed, such as Simon after Starbuck returned from Caprica...

Durandal_1707 wrote:Did the Cylons ever have more than one of the same model in the fleet at the same time, though?
If I remember The Plan correctly, they had one Cavil (two just before they got airlocked), two Dorals (burgundy and teal suits), one D'Anna ("pursuing her own path" of making home videos), the one Leoban on the Gemenon Traveller, one Six (Shelley Godfrey), one Simon (on that ship where the deckhand woman lived) and one Boomer (replaced by Athena).