Mars Attacks 60th Anniversary

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Re: Mars Attacks 60th Anniversary

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I wouldn't be surprise heard they have unused art work that got destroy. I mean they got the alien POW and didn't use it until the sequel.
griffeytrek
Officer

Re: Mars Attacks 60th Anniversary

Post by griffeytrek »

Fianna wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:26 am https://sfdebris.com/videos/special/marsattacks.php

Well, this was a delightful surprise!

I will disagree with Chuck about the series being "darkly comedic". Even in the 60's, a lot of the sci-fi imagery here had come to be seen as hokey and a little goofy: Martian invaders with giant visible brains and fishbowl helmets; flying saucers shooting heat rays and freeze rays and shrink rays; giant robots with those great big pincer hands. So seeing that sort of cheesy, old-school sci-fi stuff engaged in such viscerally horrific violence ... it's the same sort of comedy that comes from seeing someone impaled by a unicorn.
Yes and no. This was 1962 after all. Not '68. And much of these types of images were still in the pop culture zeitgeist. after all 1962 was right when the Silver Age of Comics was beginning. DC published the first Barry Allen Flash story. Marvel published the Fantastic Four. but the thing that this style most resembles is the absolutely amazing Silver Age covers of Gold Key Comics. Magnus Robot Hunter. Buck Rogers. Flash Gordon. Solar Man of the Atom. UFO Flying Saucers. This was right on the borderline of the 50's B movie days and the rise of some darker more thoughtful stuff.