VOY: Infinite Regress

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
drewder
Officer

Re: VOY: Infinite Regress

Post by drewder »

I've always found the idea that voyager kept making happen, alpha quadrant species Borg in the delta quadrant, to be stupid. Most often they mention them being "assimilated at Worf 359" always forgetting that that ship was completely destroyed. Plus there were no Klingons, Romulans, or Ferengi at 359 and if we're to believe that the Borg are regularlly raiding the Alpha Quadrant for drones then why have the other species survived?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

drewder wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:57 am I've always found the idea that voyager kept making happen, alpha quadrant species Borg in the delta quadrant, to be stupid. Most often they mention them being "assimilated at Worf 359" always forgetting that that ship was completely destroyed. Plus there were no Klingons, Romulans, or Ferengi at 359 and if we're to believe that the Borg are regularlly raiding the Alpha Quadrant for drones then why have the other species survived?
Stop thinking in such three dimensional terms :lol:

Seriously though, its not above the realm of possibility that the Borg raid the Alpha Quadrant often because that was the B-plot of ''The Neutral Zone.''
There were actually Klingons and Romulans at Wolf 359 - Admiral Hanson tells Riker in dialogue that they were sending ships. Makes a lot of sense too as the other Alpha Quadrant powers would not have wanted to trade the Federation for the Borg.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

remagynona wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:30 am To be fair to Troi, her dumb getup was probably more comfortable than the actual Starfleet uniforms from TNG seasons 1 and 2. Those actually caused the actors a bunch of back problems due to how tight they were. Seven's catsuit had the same issue except it was even more extreme. When your actor is passing out due to how tight the wardrobe is, there's something very wrong. I can't even imagine how Ryan made it through 4 seasons with that corset on. You look at her acting scenes involving kneeling, squatting and reaching and you can tell her back is physically incapable of bending. It's uncomfortable just to watch.
See, that's the sort of thing about this that really bothers me. My opinions on how prehistoric I think this catsuit is aside, Jeri Ryan was on set twelve hours a day surrounded by a 90% male production crew. She couldn't piss, she couldn't bend over, she sometimes couldn't breathe properly. She must have felt like a piece of meat.

And they never put her in a uniform like they did with Troi. That's the other thing. Berman and Braga even by season 7 and the show was clearly dying, they never thought ''that'll do. Its done its work.'' I think it shows a real disrespect to Ryan because I find it hard to believe that at no point did she complain.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
drewder
Officer

Post by drewder »

clearspira wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:36 am
drewder wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:57 am I've always found the idea that voyager kept making happen, alpha quadrant species Borg in the delta quadrant, to be stupid. Most often they mention them being "assimilated at Worf 359" always forgetting that that ship was completely destroyed. Plus there were no Klingons, Romulans, or Ferengi at 359 and if we're to believe that the Borg are regularlly raiding the Alpha Quadrant for drones then why have the other species survived?

Seriously though, its not above the realm of possibility that the Borg raid the Alpha Quadrant often because that was the B-plot of ''The Neutral Zone.''
There were actually Klingons and Romulans at Wolf 359 - Admiral Hanson tells Riker in dialogue that they were sending ships. Makes a lot of sense too as the other Alpha Quadrant powers would not have wanted to trade the Federation for the Borg.
Did the ferengi also participate? Sure seems like a waste of resources to do raids on the other side of the galaxy to get drones when they've got plenty of folks to harvest in their backyard.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

drewder wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:08 pm

Did the ferengi also participate? Sure seems like a waste of resources to do raids on the other side of the galaxy to get drones when they've got plenty of folks to harvest in their backyard.
Borg aren't just slavers. Borg are also explorers. Assimilation is how they explore these strange new worlds.

Also, Voyager's course would've taken them through the Beta Quadrant. They were actually right next to it, when they found the Borg Transwarp Hub, which lead to the end of the voyage. As for why they didn't go to the Bajoran Wormhole? That was almost as far away as Earth from Voyager's initial position, plus behind a confirmed hostile and xenophobic empire of unknown but large extend. And not going straight through the center, well the center of the Milky Way is an area of high star density and radiation, plus in canon it's technically cordened off by a galactic barrier (which should only be around the outside of the galaxy, but heyho, ST5 go fuck yourself).
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
jadenova
Officer

Post by jadenova »

What bothers me is that the Borg took some time to assimilate people during Wolf 359. Something about that rubs me the wrong way.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

jadenova wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:14 pm What bothers me is that the Borg took some time to assimilate people during Wolf 359. Something about that rubs me the wrong way.
Assimilating people wasn't their shtick originally, as they were after technology. So that is actually a retcon in the wake of Picard's assimilation, one of the better ones in my opinion. In hindsight, consider it Early-Installment Wierdness.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

drewder wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:08 pm

You could also make the argument that the Alpha Quadrant races were explorers past known space.

Honestly the Borg are numbered probably in the hundreds of trillions if not more and finding Klingon drones seems very unlikely. The Borg would have to assimilate billions of Klingons to make that stastically even remotely likely.

Considering the shape of some of the ships we saw in the aftermath of Wolf 359, I can see the Borg going in for assimilation. Just a question of how did those assimilated survive.

Look at some of the ships in that graveyard scene like that New Orleans ship for example. Sure giant holes, partially damaged nacelle but it's not completely destroyed.
I got nothing to say here.
jerkstore
Redshirt

Post by jerkstore »

I honestly don't see much of a difference between 7 of 9's outfit and that of Zoie Palmer as "Android" on the show Dark Matter which came out in 2016. Sure, there are *wrinkles* in her outfit that are not present for Jeri Ryan's (not a literal cat suit), but aesthetically speaking they are the same.

Its hot, its deplorable, but it isn't going to stop anytime soon.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

jerkstore wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:23 amIts hot, its deplorable, but it isn't going to stop anytime soon.
Ah, yes. We're men. We've been. Get used to it.
Power laces... alright.