Star Trek (DS9): The Sound of Her Voice

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Dînadan
Officer

Re: Star Trek (DS9): The Sound of Her Voice

Post by Dînadan »

excalibur wrote:The plot hole for me was, why didn't the DS9 crew search the crashed ship's name in their database?
Wasn't it established that it was on a long term mission, implying that it was expected to be out of contact for extended periods? It's plausible they looked her up, but it didn't flag anything wrong because it hadn't been overdue for a check-in that would have gotten it labled as MIA. Of course that just brings up why there wasn't an exchange like

O'Brian: "Wow, it must be really annoying that you were six months from the end of your 8 year mission; you were so close to coming back home."
Lisa: "Huh? What do you mean? We still had three years to go; we only left our last check-in with Starbase X a few months back."
O'Brian: "Wait, what Stardate is it?"
Lisa: "Umm, Stardate Y."
O'Brian: "Err, its Stardate Z."
Both: "Shit. Stupid temporal anomalies."
SuccubusYuri
Officer

Post by SuccubusYuri »

I think that's one of those "shit we're adapting it to star trek, please lampshade and ignore so we can tell a good story".

I can see several scenarios why that might not be a thing. 1), Starfleet might not mix and match military logs and "science mission" logs. I'm sure there are examples of the Enterprise being able to conjure up where a ship was last, what it was doing, based on database and not explicitly through captain's log shenanigans (which could come from briefings), but during a time of war they might keep that info tucked away just in case the Dominion would see an easy target who doesn't even know they're at war (and without all the fancy modern shield tech and the like). You know, extract it from one of the ikea shuttles.

2) This could be some secret section 31 shit, or at the least Pegasus level shenanigans. Things you don't want a paper trail in EVERY starfleet computer in the quadrant. Especially if some old timey Adama type ordered print outs only. This was a Moore episode after all. Though it's my preferred interpretation judging by how much Lisa can remind you of Sloan when he's on his best behavior. Which would also explain why she doesn't volunteer any information that would lead to said exchange.

3) And my preferred alternative, it wasn't related to killin so Sisko dumped it all in the trash folder.

But mostly still that first thing about adapting an idea they liked so much to trek.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

excalibur wrote:The plot hole for me was, why didn't the DS9 crew search the crashed ship's name in their database?
The ship was on an 8 year long deep space mission, as far as I remember. It's rather likely that, unlike what we see happening to any of the Enterprises that were technically on deep space missions as well for their respective show's runs, those ships usually are out there in the arse end of nowhere and precisely do not return to Earth to fix everything for Starfleet at a moment's notice whenever needed. It never really struck me as odd, that she didn't know anything about the war and that no problems with the timing came up from the POV of the Defiant-characters, because that's just the way it is out there away from the seemingly ever-present com-buoy networks. It's technically the shows that are the odd ones out, because they always seemed to be just minutes from everywhere. If memory serves right, it was Voyager of all shows, that made limited communication ranges in the absence of a subspace-com-boost-buoy-network a thing. At least twice even.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
bronnt
Officer

Post by bronnt »

I liked this episode the first time I saw it, but the last time I watched it, I got really irritated by something. It was so obvious to me that it became grating more and more throughout the episode: Captain Cusak is very much a Mary Sue.

I mean, think about it. She's this great and awesome person, everyone likes her, and she makes everyone's lives better just by talking to them. Even though they never meet her in person they all talk about how great and amazing a person she is. She's untainted by the nasty war that's going on and is a relic of a happier time. And then of course she has to die at the end, because she's way too good for this sinful galaxy. She was never going to live in a galaxy at a war, that would just sully her. So of course she's buried with honor while the main characters feel grief at her loss. The only thing missing is that she's not an obvious author insert.
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

J!! wrote:I prefer my ending

One little thing I really liked was the thing about draining the phasers to increase the Pimphand's integrity fields. We were told about these design flaws way back in The Search, and how O'Brien had to come up with some hacks to keep it from ripping itself a new one, so it's nice to see that actually be relevant for once.
I enjoy a dark ending
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."
AlucardNoir
Officer

Post by AlucardNoir »

Related to the review and not the episode:
I like DSN but it's the only show where the petty, controlling bureaucrat is the hero[...]
No, no it isn't:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yes_Minister
http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/The_ ... _(episode) -[Pursuant to Paragraph 1,290, I hereby formally request third party arbitration of our dispute - pursuant to paragraph 1290 Chuck!]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nineteen_Eighty-Four [technically Winston is one]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazil_(1985_film) [once more, technically Lowry is one]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Dwarf [Rimmer is one - well, he tries to be one]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babylon_5 [the ambassadorial aids are ones... and all three commanding officers of the station as well as Ivanova have embodied that description whenever it suited their needs]

And those are examples were the heroes - or at least people that get a title card in the intro - are the bureaucrats.
If Chuck or a mod reads this feel free do delete my account. I would do it myself but I don't seem to be able to find a delete account option. phpBB should have such an option but I guess this isn't stock phpBB.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

AlucardNoir, he might sometimes qualify as a secondary protagonist, but it's REALLY a stretch to call Arnold Rimmer a "hero".
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

bronnt wrote:I liked this episode the first time I saw it, but the last time I watched it, I got really irritated by something. It was so obvious to me that it became grating more and more throughout the episode: Captain Cusak is very much a Mary Sue.

I mean, think about it. She's this great and awesome person, everyone likes her, and she makes everyone's lives better just by talking to them. Even though they never meet her in person they all talk about how great and amazing a person she is. She's untainted by the nasty war that's going on and is a relic of a happier time. And then of course she has to die at the end, because she's way too good for this sinful galaxy. She was never going to live in a galaxy at a war, that would just sully her. So of course she's buried with honor while the main characters feel grief at her loss. The only thing missing is that she's not an obvious author insert.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... sAreNotBad
excalibur
Officer

Post by excalibur »

SuccubusYuri wrote:I think that's one of those "shit we're adapting it to star trek, please lampshade and ignore so we can tell a good story".

I can see several scenarios why that might not be a thing. 1), Starfleet might not mix and match military logs and "science mission" logs. I'm sure there are examples of the Enterprise being able to conjure up where a ship was last, what it was doing, based on database and not explicitly through captain's log shenanigans (which could come from briefings), but during a time of war they might keep that info tucked away just in case the Dominion would see an easy target who doesn't even know they're at war (and without all the fancy modern shield tech and the like). You know, extract it from one of the ikea shuttles.

I was basically point out that regardless what purpose a Federation starship is for, it's name and registry would be in a database that all ships would have so it can be identify. We've seen it before in episodes where they immediately identify destroyed or lost ships. Also remember, Starfleet is both a faux military organization. They have pretty good record keeping on who does what in the fleet. Seriously, In Voyager, they were able to check their database for the Equinox, a ship that was lost in the Delta before they were.
"Adapt, Overcome & Improvise"

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."
AlucardNoir
Officer

Post by AlucardNoir »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote:AlucardNoir, he might sometimes qualify as a secondary protagonist, but it's REALLY a stretch to call Arnold Rimmer a "hero".
....excuse you?
If Chuck or a mod reads this feel free do delete my account. I would do it myself but I don't seem to be able to find a delete account option. phpBB should have such an option but I guess this isn't stock phpBB.