Lower deck episode 3?

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Lower deck episode 3?

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

McAvoy wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:57 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:48 am Sooo it's more like the end of Search for Spock.
Yep. Though I doubt Kirk and crew got anything for that ship. I doubt that was factored in them getting the Enterprise A.
Probably got him a lot of street cred though.
..What mirror universe?
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:19 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:48 am Sooo it's more like the end of Search for Spock.
Yep. Though I doubt Kirk and crew got anything for that ship. I doubt that was factored in them getting the Enterprise A.
It's Kirk. He has all the street cred he wants.
I got nothing to say here.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

McAvoy wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:43 am
Yeah but he didn't want that much in the first place, so now he has more of it.
..What mirror universe?
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:23 am
McAvoy wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:43 am
Yeah but he didn't want that much in the first place, so now he has more of it.
Still Kirk. He was The Man.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

McAvoy wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:43 am It's Kirk. He has all the street cred he wants.
Kirk is the source from which all street cred is derived.
griffeytrek
Officer

Post by griffeytrek »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:36 pm
I'm not sure what you mean by prize, but Data commanded the Sutherland against the Romulans. Granted he has the rank of command, but it was an official cross-ship designation with Picard acting as fleet commodore or whatever.

With matters pertaining to one ship, the federation isn't in charge of officer dynamics except for who they designate to be the rank of captain to formally command a ship. Obviously if you're out in space then anyone can command the ship regardless of command designation, though I doubt Starfleet would have allowed Troi to command the Sutherland at the time since she did not have her command pip until near the end of the series.
It depends. Did Starfleet want the Sutherland driven into a planet?

As for Prize ships, as was said it refers to the practice of Raiders seizing Merchant ships or captured enemy ships, equipping them with a Skeleton "Prize Crew" and sailing them back to a friendly port. Germany was probably the last major nation to intentionally take prize ships, in the early days of WW2. 1939-40. Mainly off the coast of South America and East Africa. They would leave the ships crew in Lifeboats typically within sight of shore and take the ship and its cargo. By the tail end of WW2 they largely gave up the practice in favor of simply sinking the ships. In part because the Kriegsmarine's Surface ships weren't fairing particularly well. And Submarines were not ideal for capturing enemy ships. Both Britain and the US did on a very small number of occasions manage to capture German submarines. Mainly for the purpose of getting their hands on com and encryption gear. With U-110 (the captured Enigma Machine) and U-505 (The captured U Boat on display in Chicago) being the best known ones. Another great one was the U-66 vs the USS Buckley which was probably one of the last instances of a close quarters naval melee combat, with the two ships joined and the crews in an all out brawl with any weapon that came to hand.

But to get back to the actual point, Rank refers most directly to the number of personnel under your direct command. So a small ship such as a Submarine or Destroyer will only require a Commander. Although such a ship may on some occasions have a full Captain. Most often when the Commander has been promoted, but his next larger assignment is not yet ready.

One other thing that frequently gets confused in Star Trek is the concept of the "Flagship". The enterprise is frequently referred to as the Federations "Flagship", which it rarely if ever was. A Flagship does not refer to the biggest or fanciest ship in the fleet. It's the ship that is carrying the Admiral and thus the ship giving the orders. Up until Modern times Each Admiral has a Flag denoting the number of stars the Admiral wore. When the Admiral was onboard a ship this flag would be flown to tell the other ships where to look for fleet orders. So Flagship = Admiral, Admiral = Flagship. The two clearest examples of the Enterprise being a Flagship were the first two movies, TMP and WoK. For most of WW2 the Admiral's tended to favor either a Heavy Cruiser or a Battleship for their Flag's. Even the ones managing Carrier Task Forces. In modern times there are often purpose made Command Ships which are just tasked with being the fleet communications and information hub.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

griffeytrek wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:27 am
I'm not sure what you mean by prize, but Data commanded the Sutherland against the Romulans. Granted he has the rank of command, but it was an official cross-ship designation with Picard acting as fleet commodore or whatever.

With matters pertaining to one ship, the federation isn't in charge of officer dynamics except for who they designate to be the rank of captain to formally command a ship. Obviously if you're out in space then anyone can command the ship regardless of command designation, though I doubt Starfleet would have allowed Troi to command the Sutherland at the time since she did not have her command pip until near the end of the series.
Not if she has Geordi at the helm.

And also, this is not a goddamn democracy!! Come to think of it, why no mention of u571?

((edit: I'm seeing that they never actually captured that particular sub in real life.))

With regard to the flagship, I actually did stumble into a fair lecturing a couple years back I think on this very sub forum I believe. All and all, thank you. Very informative.
..What mirror universe?
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

griffeytrek wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:27 am

As for Prize ships, as was said it refers to the practice of Raiders seizing Merchant ships or captured enemy ships, equipping them with a Skeleton "Prize Crew" and sailing them back to a friendly port. Germany was probably the last major nation to intentionally take prize ships, in the early days of WW2. 1939-40. Mainly off the coast of South America and East Africa. They would leave the ships crew in Lifeboats typically within sight of shore and take the ship and its cargo. By the tail end of WW2 they largely gave up the practice in favor of simply sinking the ships. In part because the Kriegsmarine's Surface ships weren't fairing particularly well. And Submarines were not ideal for capturing enemy ships. Both Britain and the US did on a very small number of occasions manage to capture German submarines. Mainly for the purpose of getting their hands on com and encryption gear. With U-110 (the captured Enigma Machine) and U-505 (The captured U Boat on display in Chicago) being the best known ones. Another great one was the U-66 vs the USS Buckley which was probably one of the last instances of a close quarters naval melee combat, with the two ships joined and the crews in an all out brawl with any weapon that came to hand.

But to get back to the actual point, Rank refers most directly to the number of personnel under your direct command. So a small ship such as a Submarine or Destroyer will only require a Commander. Although such a ship may on some occasions have a full Captain. Most often when the Commander has been promoted, but his next larger assignment is not yet ready.

One other thing that frequently gets confused in Star Trek is the concept of the "Flagship". The enterprise is frequently referred to as the Federations "Flagship", which it rarely if ever was. A Flagship does not refer to the biggest or fanciest ship in the fleet. It's the ship that is carrying the Admiral and thus the ship giving the orders. Up until Modern times Each Admiral has a Flag denoting the number of stars the Admiral wore. When the Admiral was onboard a ship this flag would be flown to tell the other ships where to look for fleet orders. So Flagship = Admiral, Admiral = Flagship. The two clearest examples of the Enterprise being a Flagship were the first two movies, TMP and WoK. For most of WW2 the Admiral's tended to favor either a Heavy Cruiser or a Battleship for their Flag's. Even the ones managing Carrier Task Forces. In modern times there are often purpose made Command Ships which are just tasked with being the fleet communications and information hub.
Yep. Flagships are basically the ship where Admiral is at. He doesn't command the vessel either, that's still up to the Captain though he along with the rest of the fleet does take the instructions.

Like there is Flagship of the US Navy. But pretty much all carriers are Flagships because that is where the Admiral for that fleet resides. Not all the time of course.

The other thing is that with Flagships they could differ for ships of the same class due to accommodations for the flag staff. Like the South Dakota of the South Dakota class had an extra deck on her conning tower. I believe the Pennsylvania, the sistership to the Arizona had a similar setup initially.

Can't really speak for the British Navy though without looking it up.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

McAvoy wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:58 am Can't really speak for the British Navy though without looking it up.
We don't really have enough ships... But the same principle applies, although the Carrier Strike Group appears to be commanded by a commodore; that group in turn though is one of two under the command of an admiral, who's the only seagoing admiral in the RN but I don't know where he'll usually fly his flag (I assume it's the carrier, may be wrong).

The First Sea Lord flies his flag in HMS Victory, but that's obviously a symbolic thing.