Strange New Worlds

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Riedquat
Captain

Re: Strange New Worlds

Post by Riedquat »

clearspira wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:17 pm
Riedquat wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:57 pm
clearspira wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:22 am
Riedquat wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:19 pm Actually I'm just not sure how that's an actual response to any points in my post.
I'm telling you that everyone has a different perspective based on their life. This shouldn't be a hard concept. Fuzzy clearly understood even if he disagreed with my conclusion.
That's just a statement of the obvious, and an irrelevant one at that (since it applies to every discussion under the sun).
Partially. There is fact and there is opinion. Opinions tend to be a poor substitute for fact.
That seems to have become an article of faith in certain quarters.

Opinions and facts are very different things. A fact on its own is worthless. It's opinions, values, and emotions that give any meaning to facts and tell us which ones actually matter. It's a fact that there's a mug on my desk right now. So what? If I feel like having a cup of tea it's quite a useful one to me. To you it's of no relevance or interest whatsoever. Yet it's only my opinion that I'd like a cuppa that makes it of much relevance to even me.

It's only really opinion that puts any value on some of humanity's greatest achievements, e.g. the art and music and literature that can be so moving and give so much to life.

Beware of dismissing anything along those lines and only talking "facts," because people who do so frequently seem to miss the point of living.