SW The Old Republic: Sith Warrior

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Deledrius
Captain

Re: SW The Old Republic: Sith Warrior

Post by Deledrius »

Slash Gallagher wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:48 am
Ikiry0 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:39 am I'll admit, TOR is the best argument about for 'Alderaan deserved it'
It was thousands of years before ANH.
Funny thing about Star Wars. It's had no sense of scale long before JJ Abrams came along.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Deledrius wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:25 am
Slash Gallagher wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:48 am
Ikiry0 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:39 am I'll admit, TOR is the best argument about for 'Alderaan deserved it'
It was thousands of years before ANH.
Funny thing about Star Wars. It's had no sense of scale long before JJ Abrams came along.
What do you mean by that?
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Mecha82 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:17 am
That is not very good argument for it. If that was case then any planet would had also deserved it and some of those even more. Besides TOR takes place thousands of years before ANH so based on that logic Alderaan deserved it because of some rotten people that lived there long time ago.
Given the permanent socio-cultural stasis the Star Wars Universe is trapped in since at least the times of the Old Republic, it is reasonable to assume, that Alderaan's self-serving aristocratic caste survived until the times of Alderaan's obliteration. We do know for fact, that Alderaan is still a monarchic world by the that time at the very least.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Madner Kami wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:05 am
Mecha82 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:17 am
That is not very good argument for it. If that was case then any planet would had also deserved it and some of those even more. Besides TOR takes place thousands of years before ANH so based on that logic Alderaan deserved it because of some rotten people that lived there long time ago.
Given the permanent socio-cultural stasis the Star Wars Universe is trapped in since at least the times of the Old Republic, it is reasonable to assume, that Alderaan's self-serving aristocratic caste survived until the times of Alderaan's obliteration. We do know for fact, that Alderaan is still a monarchic world by the that time at the very least.
Canada, Australia, Britain...
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Alderaan, with a population of billions of unarmed people, did NOT deserve to get blown up. By that logic, the US should be wiped out for the actions of what the government does.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Is the US a democracy? If so, then do the math. And in the case of the people of Alderaan, have you actually played SWTOR? They're either villains, incompetent, loyal to people who you should not be loyal to or mind-controlled by Killiks. Those who do not fall under this tag, try to get off world.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Your logic is twisted. So basically based on that logic Alderaan that had population of billions deserved to get blown up over crimes of some people in power thousands of years ago because it wasn't democracy. That is really narrow minded thinking that some how only democracies and people living in those deserve to survive. Too bad for you that US isn't that democratic anymore so I guess that means that based on your logic it would deserve to be wiped out.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

You clearly did not manage to follow my logic.
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

Madner's "Logic" is that, in a democracy, if the people choose evil, then they are complicit in that evil. The parallel offered is that as Alderaan's population is either engaging in evil, ineffectual in fighting evil, or blindly loyal to one of the above, they deserve to die.

By said logic, it would be Just to fire Republican voters into the sun, indeed far more so than the people of Alderaan deserved the Death Star since Republicans directly and enthusiastically endorsed evil rather than simply allowing it in the face of an open civil war.

Mayhaps the blind scales of justice are inadequate to the full complexity of human societies and this logic is not, in fact, useful or particularly grounded in well-reasoned premises.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

CmdrKing wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:05 pm Madner's "Logic" is that, in a democracy, if the people choose evil, then they are complicit in that evil. The parallel offered is that as Alderaan's population is either engaging in evil, ineffectual in fighting evil, or blindly loyal to one of the above, they deserve to die.

By said logic, it would be Just to fire Republican voters into the sun, indeed far more so than the people of Alderaan deserved the Death Star since Republicans directly and enthusiastically endorsed evil rather than simply allowing it in the face of an open civil war.

Mayhaps the blind scales of justice are inadequate to the full complexity of human societies and this logic is not, in fact, useful or particularly grounded in well-reasoned premises.
You get the logic. Obviously I will never endorse the killing of a population based upon their leadership in a real scenario (unless they are directly responsible and can choose without a threat for their life that is), and above was a statement of disappointment over my experiences with the Alderaan episode of SWTOR. I always found the stupid on Alderaan unbearably widespread and systematic, as for some undiscernable reason, people choose loyalty to the worst people imaginable in a civil war over getting rid of a self-serving caste that has nothing better to do, than shit on each other's carpet once a day. Ironically enough, the only ones who do not follow blindly are the Sith bodyguards of all people...
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox