Empire Strikes Back

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: Empire Strikes Back

Post by Yukaphile »

Well, the high majority of moviegoing audiences loved TFA, sad to say. So I stand by that statement.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

Your statement was about Star Wars fans.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I was including the moviegoing audiences in that statement, sorry for confusing. Though I do wonder if the prequels are as hated as the loudest voices make them seem? I certainly think TPM is the strongest link in the chain, ROTS if we're including the novels, and a lot of the cancer and negative feedback came from the internet, which then infected how the critics viewed the film. But people kept coming back, didn't they? And hell, if Revenge of the Fallen can make money, then yeah. And the prequels are high art compared to that shitfest.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Yukaphile wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:52 am I do know Star Wars fans can be incredibly toxic too.
There are unpleasant people, true, but "toxic" starts getting chucked around when you annoy people and have a go at them for getting annoyed rather than you for annoying them (generic "you" BTW). Piss all over something a group holds dear and label them as toxic when they call you out on it. If there's significant venom appearing in a fangroup it's usually a sign that the creators have screwed up and treated their creation, and its fans, with contempt.

And I didn't even mind TFA (although being very familiar with Derwent Water and its surroundings seeing it as an alien world failed to convince!) Thought TLJ was dreadful though.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

They destroyed Jake Lloyd. They were just bullies. And the only person to offer any comfort was, ironically, the actor who played Jar Jar, Ahmed Best. And I think by going with the crowd and repeating their toxic bullshit, like how we keep insisting Jar Jar Binks is a racist stereotype even though very few people give it any real thought these days, we haven't changed at all in the 19 years since then. This is something SF Debris is guilty of, calling Jar Jar Binks "a Jamaican" and saying the Twins were "Jar Jar Binks." It's just... wow. The Twins from ROTF were far worse. They were the racist stereotypes. Jar Jar is an alien. He was not created with malice or race in mind. And Lucas is married to a black woman, so no way he's a racist either. Haven't we beaten that drum into the ground enough? Jar Jar Binks is NOT a racist stereotype, and I take the word of the black actor who played him over mindless white people.
Fixer
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Fixer »

Yukaphile wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:39 pmThey destroyed Jake Lloyd. They were just bullies.
Just got to focus on this one. Who's "they"?

Out of the whole fandom of Star Wars, specifically who were the individuals that bullied Jake Lloyd? Because as it was reported, it was other School children.

Unless somehow a high percentage of the highly vocal 20-40 year old fans of the original trilogy Star Wars movies managed to infiltrate an american school playground to pick on a child actor somewhere around the turn of the millennium I don't think you can lay the blame at Star Wars fans.
Thread ends here. Cut along dotted line.
------8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Mostly was just talking about the people who were kids or teenagers back then, and wouldn't stop screaming about how awful his acting was, and then two decades later we come back to the new movies, and suddenly act as if it's so sad how Jake Lloyd went through so much pain as if we weren't helping to contribute to his downfall, with the very same mindset those bullies probably had. I dunno, though. The Star Wars fandom is pretty huge, imo, tens of millions of people, perhaps even hundreds of millions if you count worldwide, who will go watch it. Can't call all them toxic. I guess it mostly is a certain segment.
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

I'd say that Jar-Jar's entire character is intolerable for sure, and his cringey "Mesa owe you my LAAAIIFFF!!" bullshit sounds like it came out of an imperialist propaganda movie about a Brave White Man Uplifting The Savage Indians, but I don't know about a full-on racist stereotype. He was completely intolerable, though. That I will say with confidence.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Worffan101 wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:30 pm I'd say that Jar-Jar's entire character is intolerable for sure, and his cringey "Mesa owe you my LAAAIIFFF!!" bullshit sounds like it came out of an imperialist propaganda movie about a Brave White Man Uplifting The Savage Indians, but I don't know about a full-on racist stereotype. He was completely intolerable, though. That I will say with confidence.
Unfortunate coincidence is more likely than racism. It's probably going to be rather hard to come up with any alien mannerisms that don't either seem pointlessly random or like some real group of people. If that character happens to turn out as a huge annoyance, well, oops. Makes it even harder when you're trying to come up with villains; unless the villain is pretty much identical to the author someone will claim racist these days. It's an unfortunate trend with an unfortunate "Boy who cried wolf" effect on calling out genuine racism.
Fianna
Captain

Post by Fianna »

I never got how Jar-Jar was supposed to be a Jamaican stereotype. The stereotype of Jamaicans is that they talk slowly and with really deep voices. Jar-Jar is a freakin' motormouth with a very high pitched voice.