Full Moon

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
jstrahan
Officer

Re: Full Moon

Post by jstrahan »

Wargriffin wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:54 pm I'd wait till 52 before we go into ALL the major little changes

since one of them is really important to two of the characters
You mean that Takuto becomes human and gets arrested for statutory rape? And, then he is forced to pay child support when he gets out of prison?
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

jstrahan wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:11 pm
Wargriffin wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:54 pm I'd wait till 52 before we go into ALL the major little changes

since one of them is really important to two of the characters
You mean that Takuto becomes human and gets arrested for statutory rape? And, then he is forced to pay child support when he gets out of prison?
No no no... LETS NOT GO THERE

then we have to go into Western vs Eastern stances on the whole age Gap thing
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

I was happy to see Izumi becoming less of ahole after his talk with Mariko who in turn has also become better person as well. Over all these reviews have been interesting to me since before Chuck started to review it I didn't even know that this anime existed. Granted that maybe Full Moon wouldn't had raised my interest based on it's premise alone so that I would had watched it myself but still.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
kyuven
Redshirt

Post by kyuven »

Mecha82 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:49 pm Granted that maybe Full Moon wouldn't had raised my interest based on it's premise alone so that I would had watched it myself but still.
I think that's a big reason why its genre never really took hold in the mainstream consciousness in the west.

Back in Full Moon's day, it was part of a glut of shoujo anime/manga aimed at very similar age groups. CLAMP and Broccoli basically made their money off the genre of "Pretty Boys and Girls with Problems" But nowadays...there just aren't a lot of shows like it.

Of course even the MANGA for Full Moon wasn't like the anime for Full Moon. Which is something that's just not common anymore.

See, nowadays the idea of a 13 or 26 episode TV series is the norm, with second and further seasons technically having different names. But back then, and even going as far back as the 70s, it was more common to strive for a 52+ episode series.

The problem with striving for a 52+ episode series based on a manga with a tight narrative that may or may not be finished by the time you start shooting...should be kinda obvious. There's a reason people got really grumpy at DBZ, Bleach and Naruto's filler arcs (less so at One Piece because its narrative allows for filler arcs much easier than Bleach or Naruto) and at their absolutely GLACIAL pacing in places (i remember one early naruto arc had a few episodes where there was a grand total of 7 minutes of story progression in a 23 minute episode).

Full Moon is one of those. Strrrretched out over 52 episodes with a lot of padding. And it ended up having to pull its own content out of its ass since the manga was STILL RUNNING and hadn't quite gotten to the uber depressing suicide plot reveals yet when airing began. Yeesh the manga didn't even END until a year after the anime did!

And this wasn't even the last time this sort of thing happened. The next YEAR Fullmetal Alchemist released and did the exact same thing as Full Moon.

They've only just started to learn, doing British and USA-style seasons rather than milking it for as long as possible. When One Piece someday ends, it might very well be the last traditional long runner.
jstrahan
Officer

Post by jstrahan »

kyuven wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:46 pm Of course even the MANGA for Full Moon wasn't like the anime for Full Moon. Which is something that's just not common anymore.

You said it. The timing of Mitsuki's awareness of Eichi's death and the, how shall we say, 'Eichi's different existence' and number and type of appearances are examples that come to mind.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

kyuven wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:46 pm
Mecha82 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:49 pm Granted that maybe Full Moon wouldn't had raised my interest based on it's premise alone so that I would had watched it myself but still.
See, nowadays the idea of a 13 or 26 episode TV series is the norm, with second and further seasons technically having different names. But back then, and even going as far back as the 70s, it was more common to strive for a 52+ episode series.

The problem with striving for a 52+ episode series based on a manga with a tight narrative that may or may not be finished by the time you start shooting...should be kinda obvious. There's a reason people got really grumpy at DBZ, Bleach and Naruto's filler arcs (less so at One Piece because its narrative allows for filler arcs much easier than Bleach or Naruto) and at their absolutely GLACIAL pacing in places (i remember one early naruto arc had a few episodes where there was a grand total of 7 minutes of story progression in a 23 minute episode).
I have watched some long anime including Naruto and yes I hated most of those fillers. One my favorite old anime is 110 episodes long. I am of course talking about original Legend of the Galactic Heroes. But I know that not everyone has patients to watch long anime unless it can really keep they interest.

Over all anime market has changed so much that those shorter series have become norm as is focus on what is marketable because they need to sell those Blu-Rays and merchandise like anime figures of cute girl characters. It's why there is less and less scifi anime and other limited appeal anime being made.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
jstrahan
Officer

Post by jstrahan »

For those who are interested and don't mind a little spoiler, go watch Chuck's review of episode 1 from nearly 5 years ago. The last minute or so of the review contains the very last scene of the very last episode (52) along with the ending music.
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

http://sfdebris.com/videos/anime/fullmoon52.php

LETS SING A SONG!!!

wait is that suppose to be just Every... or is it suppose to be "Everyone" needs to face the music?
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

Yeah, I noticed that typo too.

So, that was quite a ride.
jstrahan
Officer

Post by jstrahan »

I can't believe it's been almost five years since the episode one review. Great job. No matter how many times I watch this show, I still tear up at the end. While Clannad is still my favorite tear-inducing anime, Full Moon is still highly recommended.