TNG- 11001001

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: TNG- 11001001

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Why would anyone listen to media depictions of a species that no one knows anything about?
..What mirror universe?
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

clearspira wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:56 pm Speaking of human intelligence, i've seen scientists argue that the Neanderthals were far from being the lumbering cavemen that popular culture would have you believe. I'm not exactly sure as to how they know this, I think its to do with examining brain size and relics. Anyway, one argument now put forth is that it was environment rather than brainpower that put the Neanderthals behind us.
The Neanderthals were fantastically adapted to living in ice age Europe whereas Homo sapiens (who evolved in Africa) were better adapted to living in a warmer climate. Problem was, the ice age ended, and Homo sapiens do so like to roam.

Basically, you probably could take a Neanderthal and put him through a modern education system as well. They didn't look all that different to us either. Kind of like Gimli.
They also would not have grunted with low booking voices like they have been depicted but would have high pitched voices.

I have heard some theories that they also may have lacked behind modern humans in the area of the brain where invention was concerned. Just a theory though. Neanderthals threw heavier slower spears whereas modern humans threw lighter faster spears which could go farther despite Neanderthals more than likely were stronger.

Just theories. We really dont know much about our brother species.
I got nothing to say here.
pilight
Officer

Post by pilight »

McAvoy wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:10 amThe difference is tech level in which they can learn and improve on. We have 2000 years of improvements, trial and error, leaps, developments etc from which we can draw our education from.

They likewise have 2000+ years of knowledge and so forth to draw from. But that was far more sparse.
Knowledge and information also traveled much more slowly back 1000+ years before the printing press. Looking things up often wasn't possible and even when it was it was a long, difficult process.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

pilight wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:35 pm
McAvoy wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:10 amThe difference is tech level in which they can learn and improve on. We have 2000 years of improvements, trial and error, leaps, developments etc from which we can draw our education from.

They likewise have 2000+ years of knowledge and so forth to draw from. But that was far more sparse.
Knowledge and information also traveled much more slowly back 1000+ years before the printing press. Looking things up often wasn't possible and even when it was it was a long, difficult process.
Exactly. Take for example what the ancient Chinese had compared to Europe. For the most part alog of their ideas stayed inside that country for it to be later discovered later on in another country. I think they were playing around with steam powered toys centuries before the invention of the steam engine.

Or that we lost how to make concrete or cement when the Romans fell for it be rediscovered 1400 years later. Who knows what knowledge was lost only to be rediscovered later on. Due to the glacial pace of sharing knowledge.
I got nothing to say here.