TOS - Who Mourns for Adonais?

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: TOS - Who Mourns for Adonais?

Post by CharlesPhipps »

clearspira wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:25 pm
CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:01 pm I think Chuck's rating is ridiculous, to be frank.

This is one of THE iconic episodes of the Original Series and if it is, "Kirk vs. A God" then it is certainly the best of them.
The execution is pretty poor though. And it does have some of the worst sexism on offer in TOS - and i'm not just talking about the women. Scotty is toxic masculinity to the extreme.
Yet its also women who defeats the villain versus Kirk or the others. Uhura and Palamas both.
pilight
Officer

Post by pilight »

When I see Uhura down in the guts of the comm array, all I can think is "How did she get all that hair through that narrow opening without messing it up?"
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:19 pm
clearspira wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:25 pm
CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:01 pm I think Chuck's rating is ridiculous, to be frank.

This is one of THE iconic episodes of the Original Series and if it is, "Kirk vs. A God" then it is certainly the best of them.
The execution is pretty poor though. And it does have some of the worst sexism on offer in TOS - and i'm not just talking about the women. Scotty is toxic masculinity to the extreme.
Yet its also women who defeats the villain versus Kirk or the others. Uhura and Palamas both.
You both raise very interesting observations about the characterizations in this one.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

Madner Kami wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:28 pm Just a few things I feel the need to comment on, in order to bloat this thread to thirty pages:

So the greek pantheon decided to leave Earth, because the Earthlings kinda lost interest in them? Ok, first things first:
  • What lead them to settle on Pollux IV then? There's no species to worship them there, so, presuming they actually need the worship in order to exist, there's absolutely no incentive to settle on that world! Why did they end up there?
In the 4th season of TOS (i.e. the 25th Anniversary adventure game), we find out that there's a colony on nearby Pollux V inhabited by a religious sect called Acolytes of the Stars, which seems like a group that would be receptive to a sun god. Presumably Apollo just popped over there every so often to get his fix.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Durandal_1707 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:17 pm
Madner Kami wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:28 pm Just a few things I feel the need to comment on, in order to bloat this thread to thirty pages:

So the greek pantheon decided to leave Earth, because the Earthlings kinda lost interest in them? Ok, first things first:
  • What lead them to settle on Pollux IV then? There's no species to worship them there, so, presuming they actually need the worship in order to exist, there's absolutely no incentive to settle on that world! Why did they end up there?
In the 4th season of TOS (i.e. the 25th Anniversary adventure game), we find out that there's a colony on nearby Pollux V inhabited by a religious sect called Acolytes of the Stars, which seems like a group that would be receptive to a sun god. Presumably Apollo just popped over there every so often to get his fix.
Fuck me, you are right. Thanks for reminding me of that gem of a game.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Funny fact, I just finished that game and now am playing JUDGEMENT RITES.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

i.e. the fifth season ;)
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

:lol:

I still remember trying to get it to run on my first computer, an Intel 386SX 25Mhz, 2MB RAM and 100 MB HDD without a sound-card. T'was quite an adventure, as although I had the minimum specs, it just tended to run like dogshit. Any situation that required a quick action was basically undoable, including space-combat, which was especially annoying given I had none of the copy-protection "tables". Not particularly helped by the fact, that I only had like 1 year of school-english at that point in time either :roll:

And that in turn reminds me, how me and a bunch of friends tried to figure out the copy protection from Eye of the Beholder 1, where you had to input word #X from handbook page Y, line Z (which we naturally didn't have, as we shared all the warez). Ah, good old times.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox