Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
AllanO
Officer

Re: Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

Post by AllanO »

Madner Kami wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:05 pm Have you ever seen a single toilet on any Federation ship, either in the show or on official interior drawings? Think about it ;)
I believe the official Enterprise-D blueprints show at least one bathroom next to the Captain's Ready Room.

Also IIRC in the episode where Sisko rebuilds an ancient Bajorian solar sail Jake asks him about the zero-G toilet which is like the ones used by NASA Space Shuttles and the like. Although that only shows ancient Bajorans needed a toilet not that enlightened Federation types. (Google search reveals I was thinking of Explorers ).

Some references
Yours Truly,
Allan Olley

"It is with philosophy as with religion : men marvel at the absurdity of other people's tenets, while exactly parallel absurdities remain in their own." John Stuart Mill
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

Why would anyone need toilets when they've got transporters?
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

Madner Kami wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:05 pm
Artabax wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:02 amPicard made a big speech to the frozen banker that Fed has "evolved" beyond money.
Riker made a big speech to the fish ambassador assassins that Fed has "evolved" beyond eating meat. Maybe Fed has "evolved" beyond shitting.
Have you ever seen a single toilet on any Federation ship, either in the show or on official interior drawings? Think about it ;)
It's beamed directly from their bodies every two hours directly into waste management and the replicator raw material feed system.
m4a2000
Officer

Post by m4a2000 »

AllanO wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:17 pm I believe the official Enterprise-D blueprints show at least one bathroom next to the Captain's Ready Room.
On the blue prints I have the bridge has a bathroom, starboard side and it faces the door to the observation lounge, and the ready room has a bathroom as well. Example 1 and Example 2

I also remember a TV special hosted by Jonathan Franks, it was a lead up to the end of the series, and he pointed between deck 24 and 37 of the stardrive section for the 'public' bathroom... At least as far as I can remember.
It's OK to make mistakes as long as you don't make the same ones. If you do then you're not learning.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Robovski wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:03 am
Madner Kami wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:05 pm
Artabax wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:02 amPicard made a big speech to the frozen banker that Fed has "evolved" beyond money.
Riker made a big speech to the fish ambassador assassins that Fed has "evolved" beyond eating meat. Maybe Fed has "evolved" beyond shitting.
Have you ever seen a single toilet on any Federation ship, either in the show or on official interior drawings? Think about it ;)
It's beamed directly from their bodies every two hours directly into waste management and the replicator raw material feed system.
They call this "waste extraction", I believe.
Steve
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Steve »

As likely to be an area of disagreement with many B5 fans as with Chuck...

Discussions with some friends on the issue, and finally getting my hands on J. Gregory Keyes' trilogy of B5 novels about the Psi Corps (the Del Rey published trilogy), which like the later Centauri and Technomage trilogies is based off of JMS' outlines and approved by him, has led me to this view...

The Psi Corps, its presentation in the show to the contrary, is not the SS. It's the embodiment of the Jewish ghettos established by the Nazi government. Its higher-ranked telepath officials are the Judenrat of said ghettos. Bester is an enforcement officer of the Judenrat who inwardly chafes and seethes at his job, enhancing his disdain for "mundanes". The Director of the Psi Corps, by law a non-telepath given lifetime appointment by the Earth Alliance Senate, is the SS officer charged with overseeing the ghettos and making sure they conform to State policy. And the Crawford-Tokash Act - which established the foundation of what became the Psi Corps and limited telepath rights - is no different from the Nuremburg Laws.

I still have immense sympathy for the Underground, mind you. Telepaths should be free and they are justified in seeking their freedom (although how they go about it isn't always justifiable). But the Psi Corps aren't the real enemy of the Telepath Underground: EarthGov is the enemy, and the Psi Corps being made the enforcement arm of their unjust laws against telepaths is an act of diabolic genius on EarthGov's part, ensuring that the blowback against their oppression is directed at their other victims.
"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

Administrator of SFD, Former Spacebattles Super-Mod, Veteran Chatnik. And multiverse crossover-loving writer, of course!
Artabax
Officer

Post by Artabax »

I thought of that, BUT that would mean Star Fleet building a machine that does not malfunction every week or two. A total betrayal of Federation ideals. Croutons! CROUTONS!!!
Self sealing stem bolts don't just seal themselves, you know.
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

m4a2000 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:15 am
AllanO wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:17 pm I believe the official Enterprise-D blueprints show at least one bathroom next to the Captain's Ready Room.
On the blue prints I have the bridge has a bathroom, starboard side and it faces the door to the observation lounge, and the ready room has a bathroom as well. Example 1 and Example 2

I also remember a TV special hosted by Jonathan Franks, it was a lead up to the end of the series, and he pointed between deck 24 and 37 of the stardrive section for the 'public' bathroom... At least as far as I can remember.
Ramp (on)?

And I remember that special. I think he joked it was like the only bathroom on board.
animalia
Officer

Post by animalia »

Steve wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:00 am As likely to be an area of disagreement with many B5 fans as with Chuck...

Discussions with some friends on the issue, and finally getting my hands on J. Gregory Keyes' trilogy of B5 novels about the Psi Corps (the Del Rey published trilogy), which like the later Centauri and Technomage trilogies is based off of JMS' outlines and approved by him, has led me to this view...

The Psi Corps, its presentation in the show to the contrary, is not the SS. It's the embodiment of the Jewish ghettos established by the Nazi government. Its higher-ranked telepath officials are the Judenrat of said ghettos. Bester is an enforcement officer of the Judenrat who inwardly chafes and seethes at his job, enhancing his disdain for "mundanes". The Director of the Psi Corps, by law a non-telepath given lifetime appointment by the Earth Alliance Senate, is the SS officer charged with overseeing the ghettos and making sure they conform to State policy. And the Crawford-Tokash Act - which established the foundation of what became the Psi Corps and limited telepath rights - is no different from the Nuremburg Laws.

I still have immense sympathy for the Underground, mind you. Telepaths should be free and they are justified in seeking their freedom (although how they go about it isn't always justifiable). But the Psi Corps aren't the real enemy of the Telepath Underground: EarthGov is the enemy, and the Psi Corps being made the enforcement arm of their unjust laws against telepaths is an act of diabolic genius on EarthGov's part, ensuring that the blowback against their oppression is directed at their other victims.
Speaking of it made me wonder if I would want to be a hermit in a world with telepaths. I wouldn't feel comfortable forcing these kinds of laws on them, it's clearly wrong. But I am not sure if I would feel comfortable living near that people with that kind of power either despite knowing that they are despite knowing that they are fundamentally people just like anyone else. The fact that they can't completely turn it off, (strong emotions will always get thorugh) and there is no way to shield non-telepaths from it. (Seriously that is what someone should have been working on, rather than treating telepathy like schizophrenia) It would drive me to paranoia. My only solution would be to acknowledge the fact that I am the one with the problem and become a hermit and live somewhere where I can't hurt them.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

Star Trek: Insurrection
The area I disagree with Chuck is that the planet should not be blasted with the collector and stripped of its life giving powers. With a planet working like this you have millions of years worth of resource. Collecting it into a big can makes it a finite resource with no inkling it will return. So you will dynamite the fountain of youth, to collect the spray, because you don't want to live in nor visit the everglades. Further, I agree to stopping the collector because you do not know if it will even work. Admiral Dougherty's own words. "Our best scientists already have (looked at the device) We don't understand how it works." So how do you know 'if'?