Picard - Remembrance

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Riedquat
Captain

Re: Picard - Remembrance

Post by Riedquat »

Artabax wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:39 pm People like sugar, salt and fat. We like them so much that we eat too much. For Millenia we were hunter gatherers and these precious things were in short supply. There was no Evolutionary need for satiety, for the feeling of having had enough chocolate. You drink water until you've had enough, you eat bread until you've had enough.
There ain't no such thing as enough chocolate.

Likewise if everyone did had enough stuff, we would continue to need more stuff because 50 years of having enough stuff is nothing compared to 100,000 years of NOT having enough stuff.
Exactly (although I can easily eat too much bread too, if it's fresh). It's a major hurdle how to get people to stop such a pursuit even when it's counter-productive because there was never that evolutionary pressure when we evolved in a situation where it was pretty much impossible to get too much.

I don't believe that it's a completely impossible situation to overcome; I think there's a good deal of societal norm involved too, but Trek handwaves it away too easily. Of course I don't expect it to come up with a real, practical solution any more than I expect them to come up with a sound explanation for all its technology (because then it would've invented it for real), but at least a bit of a nod to say convincing thought had gone it to it would be nice, enough for suspension of disbelief.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I think it's carbs that you can eat over and over again. Or it's carbs that keep you coming back for the next meal continuously past your metabolic rate. They give immediate gratification from just entering the stomach, and I doubt it has anything to do with satiety.
..What mirror universe?
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

To follow up on and offer my thoughts to the debate a few pages back, I don't think it should be disputed at this point that many of the creative forces for these older IPs in the Peak TV era are really depressed, cynical people, as much as some have maligned the fandom for here, whom think politics is KILLING the planet rather than being just one tumultuous period in history among many others, they do not have tolerance for the other side of their respective politics so much as dismiss them as irrelevant, stupid, foolish, and thus not worthy of inclusion. Kinda everything Mr. Chuck commented on for The Last Outpost. There is no respect here, or an attempt at understanding past the filters of our own biases. If you voted for Ms. Clinton, you supported a monster who laughed after freeing a rapist. If you voted for Mr. 45, you voted for the American Hitler. Where is any kind of a healthy discourse between those two extremes? It's why so many just fall into silence and hide their true opinions.

It is ironically the hypocrisy of leftists who preach inclusion, but don't want a specific segment of people for arbitrary reasons. Fake virtue-signal. The big problem here is STP's themes were all better explored, with superior execution, back on DS9. 9/11 allegory was done literally before 9/11. These themes can be done, but frankly, as an earlier user had noted, it's depressing because it's not quality control. When we harp on SJW politics, it's examining the intent of the creators. The same kinda business management policy that says don't focus on your customers, when as consumers, they make your back your profits, so that's self-sabotaging. I'm not saying they need to be enslaved to fan perceptions but rarely do these big Hollywood prima donnas take responsibility. I think it's ego since again, as political junkies, they look at the world and feel hopeless, so they want us to feel that, too. They get trapped in their groupthink and can't see the nuance, so think of themselves as self-styled superhero crusaders, the last line bringing truth to the masses, and can't ever see how anyone wouldn't think that way. And in conclusion, because they sincerely think the end of times is coming after 2016, they are using entertainment to convert younger audiences. It's the same tactic politicians use in the bully pulpit. And it's why I find modern Western entertainment so stale and sterile. Because entertainment is a whole other facet of society and thus makes them very poor businesspeople with no passion.