ENT: Two Days and Two Nights

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Re: ENT: Two Days and Two Nights

Post by CrypticMirror »

God, ENT actually did that tedious joke about the girls who turn out to be men. That is just, bad.

Also Mayweather broke his leg rock climbing; you know what other show did a crewmember goes on holiday and breaks their leg rock climbing? Farscape? They showed Aeryn actually having to deal with trying to get rescued with a broken leg, that was interesting to watch. ENT can't dare do something as bold as that. I wouldn't have minded Phlox's antics so much if there was something more dramatic or comedic to balance it against, but the show was just too bland and so it stuck out like a sore thumb.

Why doesn't the Enterprise have any other medical staff? I can accept only one doctor, it is a small ship so a single doc is understandable. There ought to be a couple of nurses and a handful of orderlies too, even if they are other crew members who are crosstrained as orderlies or nurses for when sickbay needs extra staffing levels, they don't even have an ex prisoner with a semester of biomed on hand. How sad is that!?
Independent George
Officer

Post by Independent George »

CrypticMirror wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 11:38 pmWhy doesn't the Enterprise have any other medical staff? I can accept only one doctor, it is a small ship so a single doc is understandable. There ought to be a couple of nurses and a handful of orderlies too, even if they are other crew members who are crosstrained as orderlies or nurses for when sickbay needs extra staffing levels, they don't even have an ex prisoner with a semester of biomed on hand. How sad is that!?
Especially since it could easily be explained by having their backup medics all on leave. I mean, it's still bad planning to have only one medic on hand but - hey, wait a sec... why doesn't Risa have any doctors? Every resort I know of at least has some medical personnel on retainer. Why couldn't he have just gotten treatment on the planet before being returned to the ship with a couple orderlies?
proporRocket
Redshirt

Post by proporRocket »

Everyone knows that shore-leave episodes only work on trek if you have a giant white rabbit or two bald guys fighting in the mud.
Warclam
Redshirt

Post by Warclam »

I was really curious. After all the episodes of STD that Chuck has been covering lately, will Enterprise seem startlingly close to adequate by comparison?

Yes, actually. For me, anyway. It's a YMMV sort of situation I suppose, but I find tedium far preferable to fetishizing misery and shitting on the series' lore.
G-Man
Officer

Post by G-Man »

CrypticMirror wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 11:38 pm Why doesn't the Enterprise have any other medical staff? I can accept only one doctor, it is a small ship so a single doc is understandable. There ought to be a couple of nurses and a handful of orderlies too, even if they are other crew members who are crosstrained as orderlies or nurses for when sickbay needs extra staffing levels, they don't even have an ex prisoner with a semester of biomed on hand. How sad is that!?

It's maybe a small ship, but it is also the only ship in the fleet capable of interstellar exploration on any reasonable time scale. I think Starfleet can afford to splurge on this one.
"You say I'm a dreamer/we're two of a kind/looking for some perfect world/we know we'll never find" - Thompson Twins
BlackoutCreature2
Officer

Post by BlackoutCreature2 »

Independent George wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 11:52 pm
CrypticMirror wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 11:38 pmWhy doesn't the Enterprise have any other medical staff? I can accept only one doctor, it is a small ship so a single doc is understandable. There ought to be a couple of nurses and a handful of orderlies too, even if they are other crew members who are crosstrained as orderlies or nurses for when sickbay needs extra staffing levels, they don't even have an ex prisoner with a semester of biomed on hand. How sad is that!?
Especially since it could easily be explained by having their backup medics all on leave. I mean, it's still bad planning to have only one medic on hand but - hey, wait a sec... why doesn't Risa have any doctors? Every resort I know of at least has some medical personnel on retainer. Why couldn't he have just gotten treatment on the planet before being returned to the ship with a couple orderlies?
Actually the show explicitly addresses this. Mayweather didn't feel comfortable being treated by Risan doctors, all of which you could safely assume would've never treated a human before or been all that familiar with their biology. His concerns seemed to be warranted when it turned out that whatever they initially treated him with was causing an allergic reaction.

Yeah, boring is pretty much how I'd sum up this episode. I remember when I re-watched it awhile back, and having very little memory of it when it first aired, I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop on the Hoshi sub-plot. But it just doesn't. She meets a guy, they have a pleasant but non-descript weekend together, she goes home. The end. That's sweet and all but it doesn't really make for entertaining TV. He wasn't even all that interesting and the actors didn't seem to have all that great chemistry together.

And this was the only other episode besides "Detained" to have anything to do with the Tandarans. It really felt like the episode was setting them up to be something more important to the future of the show and the Temporal Cold War storyline then they wound up being.
drewder
Officer

Post by drewder »

Anyone else notice at around 3:00 chuck calls the main actor Blackula? As if he was a vampire from a 70s blacksplotation movie?
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

Warclam wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 1:23 am I was really curious. After all the episodes of STD that Chuck has been covering lately, will Enterprise seem startlingly close to adequate by comparison?

Yes, actually. For me, anyway. It's a YMMV sort of situation I suppose, but I find tedium far preferable to fetishizing misery and shitting on the series' lore.
Judging both the first seasons of ENT and DIS strictly as television shows, I think the former gets blown out of the water. DIS isn't a perfect show, but it at least has some energy to it to make it more engaging IMO.

Now if we're talking about the third season of ENT, that's a much better show than DIS's first season. Hopefully the new show will improve as it moves ahead like ENT managed to do.
Warclam
Redshirt

Post by Warclam »

Makeshift Python wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 2:58 am
Warclam wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 1:23 am I was really curious. After all the episodes of STD that Chuck has been covering lately, will Enterprise seem startlingly close to adequate by comparison?

Judging both the first seasons of ENT and DIS strictly as television shows, I think the former gets blown out of the water. DIS isn't a perfect show, but it at least has some energy to it to make it more engaging IMO.

Now if we're talking about the third season of ENT, that's a much better show than DIS's first season. Hopefully the new show will improve as it moves ahead like ENT managed to do.
STD is less incompetent, I'll give you that. But I can laugh at Enterprise's inept flailing. STD is yet another show about how everything is horrible and everyone is dead. There are too many. I never wanted one, frankly. I have never watched Game of Thrones, and never will, because I loathe grimdark. And now goddamn everything, even Star Trek of all things, is ugly, bloody, miserable action schlock, and my resentment and disdain just kind of bubbles out uncontrollably.
bluebydefault
Redshirt

Post by bluebydefault »

I hate RISA. I hate everything about it. I hate that it exists in trek. hate hate hate. Even before I realized the worst episodes revolved around that stupid planet I hated it.

Maybe its because they go on and on about how its a so sexy then when they are on the planet they can only show what looks like the most boring commercial for a shitty resort ever. Just saying that I tune in to and am use to seeing them solve problems and do sci-fi stuff not hit on rando at a bar. and if they did have an episode with a random hook up at least make the romantic interest someone interesting.