Star Trek (DIS): The Wolf Inside

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Fianna
Captain

Re: Star Trek (DIS): The Wolf Inside

Post by Fianna »

clearspira wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:00 pm
kaingerc wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:14 pm Yeah, at this point in the show the mushrooms basically become 'The Force'. (midichlorians or whatever)
They can zap you around the universe, allow you to communicate across the multiverse and I think in the next episode they show that they allow you to also speak to dead people.

The only thing that was missing was that they would also somehow allow you to move things with your mind and you could basically call Stamets Obi-Wan.
You know guys, I've suddenly worked out what STD secretly wants to be: Farscape. Because magical warping, talking to the dead mushrooms sounds exactly like something I could see happening on that show. I can see it now: Crichton bouncing around the ship singing Amazing Grace as he warps to different planets whilst being chased by zombie Peacekeepers, all the while the little Scorpius inside his head is wearing an Hawaiian shirt and dancing on the hood of a Cadillac.
Except of course that Farscape established itself as exactly this kind of show from day one rather than coming from a lineage of sci-fi that takes itself far more seriously.
See, I can easily imagine these magical space-and-reality-warping mushrooms turning up in any of the previous Star Trek series; they've all made use of plot devices just as outlandish. It's just that, on those shows, the mushrooms would likely only be the focus of a single episode, and then never be mentioned again. Making them central to the season's overall story draws a lot more attention to them.
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

Fianna wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:46 pm
clearspira wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:00 pm
kaingerc wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:14 pm Yeah, at this point in the show the mushrooms basically become 'The Force'. (midichlorians or whatever)
They can zap you around the universe, allow you to communicate across the multiverse and I think in the next episode they show that they allow you to also speak to dead people.

The only thing that was missing was that they would also somehow allow you to move things with your mind and you could basically call Stamets Obi-Wan.
You know guys, I've suddenly worked out what STD secretly wants to be: Farscape. Because magical warping, talking to the dead mushrooms sounds exactly like something I could see happening on that show. I can see it now: Crichton bouncing around the ship singing Amazing Grace as he warps to different planets whilst being chased by zombie Peacekeepers, all the while the little Scorpius inside his head is wearing an Hawaiian shirt and dancing on the hood of a Cadillac.
Except of course that Farscape established itself as exactly this kind of show from day one rather than coming from a lineage of sci-fi that takes itself far more seriously.
See, I can easily imagine these magical space-and-reality-warping mushrooms turning up in any of the previous Star Trek series; they've all made use of plot devices just as outlandish. It's just that, on those shows, the mushrooms would likely only be the focus of a single episode, and then never be mentioned again. Making them central to the season's overall story draws a lot more attention to them.
Good point. It's easier to gloss over when it's one time magic. When it becomes central to your entire show... yeah, not so easy to ignore.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

I gave up any hope of this show having a clue on science in the third episode when Stamets went on a rant about how his research was bridging the previously unknowable gap between physics and biology.

In other words, the writers literally don't know the first thing about biology or that chemistry is even a thing.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Mindworm
Officer

Post by Mindworm »

mathewgsmith wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:59 pm I gave up any hope of this show having a clue on science in the third episode when Stamets went on a rant about how his research was bridging the previously unknowable gap between physics and biology.

In other words, the writers literally don't know the first thing about biology or that chemistry is even a thing.
They actually wrote that?!? Wow, that's almost as bad as claiming that number theory isn't maths.
Soulless minion of orthodoxy.
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

The STD writers are idiots barely capable of blowing their own noses, of COURSE their science is absurd. XD
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Mindworm wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:38 pm
mathewgsmith wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:59 pm I gave up any hope of this show having a clue on science in the third episode when Stamets went on a rant about how his research was bridging the previously unknowable gap between physics and biology.

They actually wrote that?!? Wow, that's almost as bad as claiming that number theory isn't maths.
Far be it for me to defend STD, but the Traveller's transwarp abilities from TNGs ''Where No One Has Gone Before'' is based off the universe and thought being the same thing - or in other words, the previously unknowable gap between physics and biology. This is actually canon as absurd as that is.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

That's the gap between physics and consicousness.

Which is another animal.

The Force would make more sense than the fungus because energy fields exist in space. Fungus isn't everywhere with no soil, water, or atmosphere.
DisgruntleFairy
Redshirt

Post by DisgruntleFairy »

I'm kinda confused as to why people are all frustrated with the space mushroom / fungus business. Trek sciences has always been laughably bad and kinda silly. It's just a new kinda silly as opposed to a classic silly.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

DisgruntleFairy wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:46 am I'm kinda confused as to why people are all frustrated with the space mushroom / fungus business. Trek sciences has always been laughably bad and kinda silly. It's just a new kinda silly as opposed to a classic silly.
Because this is a new silly. You don't get free mistakes just because you've made other mistakes in the past. That argument makes no sense to me.

I'd prefer a Trek that makes less stupid errors about actual science as it goes on. Honestly, there's really no excuse for it. The amount of access to information is greater today than at any time in the past.
DisgruntleFairy
Redshirt

Post by DisgruntleFairy »

Deledrius wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:33 am
DisgruntleFairy wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:46 am I'm kinda confused as to why people are all frustrated with the space mushroom / fungus business. Trek sciences has always been laughably bad and kinda silly. It's just a new kinda silly as opposed to a classic silly.
Because this is a new silly. You don't get free mistakes just because you've made other mistakes in the past. That argument makes no sense to me.

I'd prefer a Trek that makes less stupid errors about actual science as it goes on. Honestly, there's really no excuse for it. The amount of access to information is greater today than at any time in the past.
I would certainly like for them to be better. But I doubt that will happen.

All media has pretty horrible science. So I guess it really doesn't even really register to me anymore.