DIS: “Will You Take My Hand?”

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: DIS: “Will You Take My Hand?”

Post by clearspira »

Makeshift Python wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:21 pm
clearspira wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:01 pm So... shall we take bets on there being a season 3? Lets put quality aside for a moment and focus on the Picard series and question whether they would actually have two shows in production at once. They may do, sure, but times have long since passed the days of TNG, DS9 and VOY where this show was profitable enough to do that. Now add into that the Viacom/CBS merger and all the volatility that could bring and the fact that Netflix is no longer helping to fund the show and we have all the blocks for this being the shortest Trek series of the lot.
From what I understand the Picard series is likely to be a limited event series rather than an ongoing one like DISCOVERY is supposed to be. Also you forget there's a third show, LOWER DECKS. As for whether there will be third season really all comes down to how well the second season does, doesn't it?
Ordinarily yes. But the merger is uncertain waters. New bosses, new ideas. As for lower decks, is that the animated series they are making? It'll fail even harder than STD if they stick to the ''wacky'' style that it currently has.
Actarus
Officer

Post by Actarus »

I still like Discovery, but I can understand Chuck's criticism. Although I don't agree about the characters. Tilly and Lorca were great, yes, but I also liked Saru and Ash. Stamets annoyed me in the beginning, but he grew on me with each episode. Burnham was okay, but I agree that it is not enough for a main character. Too bad they didn't flesh up Keyla Detmer (since she served with Burnham on the Shenzhou) and other officers on the bridge. I hope this will be corrected in Season 2. At least we will get a real Chief Engineer. The little I saw in the trailer makes me optimistic about that character. Two things I didn't hear in Chuck's comments : "This is not Star Trek" and "Muh continuity!" Good for him. And yes, I also want Lorca to be back someday.

Now, as for that particular episode, I must say that I was rather disappointed with it. It felt rushed and the victory felt shallow. It needed one or two episodes more to wrap things up correctly. I liked that Orion free zone on Qo'nos. I believe that it's a nice addition to what we know about that planet. The game scene was also great, because the Klingons were pretty much acting like what we have seen in previous incarnations (it's not because I like DIS that I hate Berman's Trek). It helps that they were not religious fanatics... However, I didn't like the lack of consequence for Burnham's action. Yes, she saved the Federation. In ST4, Kirk saved the Earth, but he was still demoted to the rank of Captain for what he did in ST3. I believe that Burnham should have been reinstated as a Starfleet officer, but at a lower rank, like lieutenant or lieutenant-commander.

Oh, and the new Enterprise is awesome!
Zoinksberg
Officer

Post by Zoinksberg »

Don't forget, they recently announced another animated series in addition to Lower Decks. Lower Decks is (as I understand it) supposed to be more adult while the other series will be either aimed to kids or at least kid friendly.

CBS really does seem to be in a "throw it all at the wall and see what sticks" mode regarding Trek.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

clearspira wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:26 pm
Makeshift Python wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:21 pm
clearspira wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:01 pm So... shall we take bets on there being a season 3? Lets put quality aside for a moment and focus on the Picard series and question whether they would actually have two shows in production at once. They may do, sure, but times have long since passed the days of TNG, DS9 and VOY where this show was profitable enough to do that. Now add into that the Viacom/CBS merger and all the volatility that could bring and the fact that Netflix is no longer helping to fund the show and we have all the blocks for this being the shortest Trek series of the lot.
From what I understand the Picard series is likely to be a limited event series rather than an ongoing one like DISCOVERY is supposed to be. Also you forget there's a third show, LOWER DECKS. As for whether there will be third season really all comes down to how well the second season does, doesn't it?
Ordinarily yes. But the merger is uncertain waters. New bosses, new ideas. As for lower decks, is that the animated series they are making? It'll fail even harder than STD if they stick to the ''wacky'' style that it currently has.
DISCOVERY did well enough to warrant more Trek projects, so I'd hardly call it a failure. A failure is something like the one-two punch that is NEMESIS and ENTERPRISE which put the franchise on ice for an indefinite amount of time before studios felt there's a demand for more content. This is why I don't root for DISCOVERY's failure like so many fans because I know that only leads to nowhere. Had those angry fans in the late 80s got what they wanted and TNG was cancelled after a season there'd be no DS9, let alone the better seasons that followed. This is why I want DISCOVERY to succeed not just more critically with the fans but to insure more projects.
Zoinksberg
Officer

Post by Zoinksberg »

Actarus wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:49 pm The game scene was also great, because the Klingons were pretty much acting like what we have seen in previous incarnations
After I watched the episode I actually found myself initially mis-remembering that scene with TNG-era Klingon makeup. Because you are absolutely correct, they were acting like what we have come to expect from Klingons TNG onward. It was probably the best Klingon scene of the entire season, simply because I could say "makeup aside, these are Klingons". It even shows that if they had written them better it would have been a lot easier to look past the makeup changes.

Chuck has the humility to know not to say "this is not Star Trek". These are his opinion, and even if he felt it strays too far from what he believes Trek is, he wouldn't go there. This isn't like arguing Starfleet is a military organization, it would be saying that he gets to say what this nebulous thought of "real" Star Trek is. After all, he's just a viewer with an opinion™
Mikejjj
Redshirt

Post by Mikejjj »

Firstly Discovery has actually not been doing good, firstly its Merch is not selling, Netflix funded the first season which is the only reason we are getting second season and they are NOT funding the second season because the first was nothing like it wanted, CBS All Access is at best not doing that well probably strangling Discovery chance at a wider market which doesn't really have. It is that old adage, try to please everyone you wind up pleasing no one. It neither has most of Star Trek fans on it side nor does it have mass mainstream appeal.

All hope Dis and all Star Trek is in the gutter since Alex Kruseman is the head of Star Trek right now. so that bodes well.

this Post was mess.
Last edited by Mikejjj on Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Makeshift Python
Captain

What’s your source?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Makeshift Python wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:04 pm What’s your source?
C'mon mate, that is ignorance. The information is everywhere. Defend the show if you wish, but viewing figures and merch sales are easily available knowledge. I don't see why we should link you such things.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Ignorance? I’m just asking for a source from you folks. Please...

sayla0079
Captain

Post by sayla0079 »

I have to agree with chuck the trek series (except the original) usually have iffy first seasons maybe season 2 will be better.