DS9 - The Collaborator

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Deledrius
Captain

Re: DS9 - The Collaborator

Post by Deledrius »

It definitely felt like a dropped plot to never revisit Opaka. Her return could have really been fertile ground for conflict with Sisko, Winn, and the Bajoran people.

I love Chuck's comment about Winn being a politician. Nice distinction there. ;)

Bareil OTOH... why was it so hard to find actors who could stand in a scene against Visitor? Her best moments were always with older, strong presence actors (Aamin Marritza, Mullibok, Tekeny Ghemor) because they could volley the energy and passion Visitor put into it.

There's something to be said for a firebrand and a quiet scholar having a relationship (in the end, Odo and Kira are close to this sort of cliché), but neither Bareil nor Shakaar were a good fit. They were just "the love interest" without any meaningful character dynamic.

Still, I think this episode was Bareil's best, because it showed the depth of his character and what he was willing to do (and showed how Winn was an expert at using the good in people against themselves and Bajor as a whole solely for her own gain). It's too bad so much of this episode was wasted on those wannabe-salacious visions. I idly wonder if they were filmed primarily to be used in the advertisements.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

She is.

I liked Bareil. But then again, I like Sinclair too, so don't judge.

Bareil was quiet, patient, kind, and well-meaning. I think that's a good character.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Yukaphile wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 11:31 pm She is.

I liked Bareil. But then again, I like Sinclair too, so don't judge.

Bareil was quiet, patient, kind, and well-meaning. I think that's a good character.
I love Sinclair. But he didn't come across as asleep in his scenes. Good comparison though, because I think they're good counterpoint examples for a similar type of character. Bareil was a good character on paper, but on film I don't think it managed to come through. He was not given enough of the really meaty scenes that a quiet character needs to shine. We just have to infer a lot of it, and that leaves a weak spot in the episodes in which he appears.
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

I think the trick is that Sinclair could crack a joke or play a prank every once in a while. He was a guy who loved to screw with his coworkers.

For instance:

youtu.be/_GOHqe0vokU

Note how much joy Sinclair is having here. Can you imagine Bareil doing anything like this?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Sinclair... Sinclair? :o
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I thought that this episode was the one that is Duet when Chuck started talking about the Bajoran betrayer in the provisional government. Not a lot seems to happen in this episode.
..What mirror universe?
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Yukaphile wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 2:07 am Sinclair... Sinclair? :o
Are you refering to a particularly desperation-inducing video-game scene, that is vividly playing in my head right now and that I just can not remember where it was from?

Finally remembered. Fallout New Vegas, Dead Money.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

FaxModem1 made a typo, I think. I believe he meant Sheridan, but he repeats with Sinclair...
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Yukaphile wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 6:29 am FaxModem1 made a typo, I think. I believe he meant Sheridan, but he repeats with Sinclair...
Umm, no, it's about Sinclair.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I misread. Sorry... :oops: