TNG - "Heart of Glory"

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Beastro
Captain

Re: TNG - "Heart of Glory"

Post by Beastro »

This is so odd. I think this is the one episode of TNG I've never seen and I'm sitting here wondering why.

There wasn't much to watch on weekend afternoons in the 90s and ever Season 1 TNG was an oasis in the desert.

Edit: Nope guess I just forgot the episode's plot, I recall the weapon assembly scene.

It's funny seeing that seeing that now. It's a good scene with nice, tense music, but the weapon is laughable and is holding together worse than a Gen 1 Megaton in gun mode did.
bronnt
Officer

Post by bronnt »

I remember this episode just for the fact that it gave Worf his first characterization on the show. I'd forgotten a lot of the specifics because the details are just so forgetabble.

I remember like that moment of Picard looking through Geordi's visor. I'd completely forgotten how ridiculous the context was. The idea of it is fine, getting an idea of how Geordi sees the world (and we've already established that he picks up a lot more data through his visor that our eyes do, seeing radiation beyond the visible light spectrum). The music and Patrick Stewart's completely earnest performance sell it, to be honest. It's a moment of wonderment...that's completely ruined when they're on a ship that's going to blow up inside of 5 minutes and they're asking Riker to wave at the camera for them.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

I do agree with Chuck that Worf parts were best parts of entire episode. With Heart of Glory they really allowed Worf to shine as character as well as gave him some depth as one. Fooling around with Georgi's visor how ever wasn't needed as it was just padding.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Mickey_Rat15
Officer

Post by Mickey_Rat15 »

Who was the starship architect who decided to make catwalks of shatterable glass around the warp core? Did someone value engineer out the transparent aluminum? That may be worse than control panels with tendencies to explode.
A managed democracy is a wonderful thing... for the managers... and its greatest strength is a 'free press' when 'free' is defined as 'responsible' and the managers define what is 'irresponsible'.”

― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

I think only 0.01% of production teams of these Trek shows/films ever remember that there’s a thing called transparent aluminum that was first brought up in THE VOYAGE HOME. In fact the only time I ever hear that term brought up again was in the TNG episode “In Theory”. Otherwise glass seems to still be a thing in the 23rd/24th centuries because it’s such an ingrained trope in cinematic drama.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

In Devil in the Dark they knew someone (or... something) was killing the miners. In "Home Soil" they didn't even know an alien was involved for most of the episode. :)
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

Mickey_Rat15 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:57 pm Who was the starship architect who decided to make catwalks of shatterable glass around the warp core? Did someone value engineer out the transparent aluminum? That may be worse than control panels with tendencies to explode.
Star Trek in general makes more sense if you're willing to accept as fact that Star Fleet just kind of low-key sucks at everything. That's why their shit is always breaking down, it's why they're always getting the ship taken over, it's why the red-shirts always die, and it's why they never think of the obvious solution until the last five minutes. Because if they didn't suck, most episodes wouldn't have stories.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

J!! wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:41 am
Mickey_Rat15 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:57 pm Who was the starship architect who decided to make catwalks of shatterable glass around the warp core? Did someone value engineer out the transparent aluminum? That may be worse than control panels with tendencies to explode.
Star Trek in general makes more sense if you're willing to accept as fact that Star Fleet just kind of low-key sucks at everything. That's why their shit is always breaking down, it's why they're always getting the ship taken over, it's why the red-shirts always die, and it's why they never think of the obvious solution until the last five minutes. Because if they didn't suck, most episodes wouldn't have stories.
To be honest Starfleet might be worst military in all sci-fi that has humans in it. They make movie version of Starship Troopers' Federation look competent in comparison.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

Thing about episodic tv is that we’re to assume what we see is only a small fraction of what usually goes on. This is just security’s off day.
Wolf359
Redshirt

Post by Wolf359 »

Probably the same group that designed that lift thing on the NX-01 that will cut your fingers off if you put your hands on the handrail.