TNG - "Up The Long Ladder"

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
pilight
Officer

Re: TNG - "Up The Long Ladder"

Post by pilight »

FlynnTaggart wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:38 pm the rest of the colonists might have been sucked out into space

youtu.be/6EYJbzQdTVw
pilight
Officer

Post by pilight »

TachyonDrift wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:52 am the question of why they don't clone LaForge too
I always assumed it was because he was blind. They don't have visor tech, so it would be more of a hardship than they're willing to deal with.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Wouldn't that get fixed in the cloning process? In fact, how does that work? Genetic engineering created psychics in Season 2, so... weird.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
pilight
Officer

Post by pilight »

The Mariposans appeared to have very basic cloning ability. They couldn't even vary the appearance of the clones. It's doubtful they had the capability of fixing blindness.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Yukaphile wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:40 pm Wouldn't that get fixed in the cloning process? In fact, how does that work? Genetic engineering created psychics in Season 2, so... weird.
The Mariposans don't seem to have technology as advanced as the Federation. Remember, they're the result of a colony attempt that left few survivors and probably concentrated on survival, plus they've been out of touch with the Federation for a long time.

And they didn't have the genetic engineering to fix their own clone degeneration.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Makes sense!
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
TachyonDrift
Redshirt

Post by TachyonDrift »

It's doubtful they had the capability of fixing blindness.
Sure, except we know LaForge's blindness isn't genetic - he lost his sight in a fire.

The Mariposans wouldn't know that, but they also wouldn't have any reason to assume he's blind for genetic reasons either.

Actually when it comes down to it, they have no reason to know he IS blind. We know he is, but at no point is it mentioned his air-cooler space-shades are because of blindness.
pilight
Officer

Post by pilight »

Geordi was born blind
Killerbee256
Redshirt

Post by Killerbee256 »

pilight wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:08 pm The Mariposans appeared to have very basic cloning ability. They couldn't even vary the appearance of the clones. It's doubtful they had the capability of fixing blindness.
Yeah that never made since to me either, how hard would it be to mix and match chromosomes, that way you could have up to 20 more templates.
TexasRed
Doctor's Assistant

Post by TexasRed »

Don't drag issues from one thread into another. If you don't want to talk to someone then don't, that's completely understandable, and the block button exists for a reason. The forum guidelines are fairly relaxed for a reason.
TachyonDrift wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:43 pm Just so you guys know, I have no interest in responding to bigoted scum. You can spout your hate as much as you wish. Thanks to the block feature, I don't have to read it, and have no intention of doing so. Probably your time would be better spent trying to work out why you're awful people.
You see I don't disagree with this statement on a basic level, however, as far as I can see there have been no such bigoted statements in this thread. Therefore this statement is unnecessary and purposefully inflammatory. Now I don't have the time to read every thread on this forum, and I'm sure (hell I know there are some folks on here with... disagreeable views) that you've run into some hard cases already but please don't drag BS from one thread into another. The point I'm making is that this post was completely pointless and achieved absolutely nothing other than alienating possible friends. I'm a firm believer in "live and let live". (Except nazis, always punch the nazis) Remember Conservative does NOT = nazi and liberal does not = communists) So please refrain from calling people "Scum" just because they may have a different political view from you (Except nazis)

On a side note, I'm personally a political moderated and spend most of my time groaning at both sides.

I would also suggest reading the Forum Guidlines