Is the prohibition against SW Prequel Reviews even still relevant?

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: Is the prohibition against SW Prequel Reviews even still relevant?

Post by Yukaphile »

Technically the prequels ARE better stories - if they were executed better.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Yukaphile wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:16 pm Technically the prequels ARE better stories - if they were executed better.
Sure we can talk about them as stories, but I don't blame anyone for talking about them as films or movies.
..What mirror universe?
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

Yukaphile wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:16 pm Technically the prequels ARE better stories - if they were executed better.

youtu.be/ni7H6RqtN8A
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Beelzquill
Officer

Post by Beelzquill »

I think Chuck gave a neutral analysis of the prequels's production from George Lucas's perspective in the hermit's journey. That video series confused me at times because it almost sounded like he was playing devil's advocate with Lucas, then again that series was less "my opinion on this" and more "heres what from the available evidence most likely happened". Maybe a review of them at some point to better give us an actual take on the three movies rather than a dry summary of the production would help.

I personally enjoy the prequels even though I think they are objectively bad films. The potential for a good story is there but its writing is terrible. Ewan Mcgregor didn't deserve this. No one desevered this.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

The prequels have an excellent story... when other people are writing it. The Darth Plagueis book, the Revenge of the Sith novelization (no, seriously), the two Clone Wars animated series...

Personally I think the best way to watch the prequels is to consider Palpatine the protagonist and laugh along with him at all the fools dancing to his tune. Especially Episode 1, which as far as his plots were concerned was a complete train wreck but somehow by sheer chance still fulfilled all of his objectives.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Beelzquill
Officer

Post by Beelzquill »

You know after all this time I still can't get over that Palpatine's first name is Sheev.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

mathewgsmith wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:18 pm The prequels have an excellent story... when other people are writing it. The Darth Plagueis book, the Revenge of the Sith novelization (no, seriously), the two Clone Wars animated series...

Personally I think the best way to watch the prequels is to consider Palpatine the protagonist and laugh along with him at all the fools dancing to his tune. Especially Episode 1, which as far as his plots were concerned was a complete train wreck but somehow by sheer chance still fulfilled all of his objectives.
No, TPM went perfectly according to plan, he never actually anted the Trade Federation to take over Naboo, that was a pretext. Them being defeated was always the preferable outcome for him.
Call me KuudereKun
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Beelzquill wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:28 pm I personally enjoy the prequels even though I think they are objectively bad films. The potential for a good story is there but its writing is terrible. Ewan Mcgregor didn't deserve this. No one desevered this.
That sums it up really well IMO. There was potential for PT to be good trilogy but execution was lacking.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I meant could've been executed better...
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

I'd agree with that in the sense that they should have had completely different stories that would be good in their own right as well as serving the purpose of them being prequels. But I think they would have had to have had different writers and a creative staff that would challenge Lucas on things like the Midiclorians and the boring space politics.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR