Holodeck ethics and deepfakes

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Re: Holodeck ethics and deepfakes

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Would it be ethical if they use it to fulfill murder fantasy.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:30 pmfantasy
Yes. Yes it is. Everything that doesn't harm someone else or damages or destroys property or harms nature is ethically fine by nature.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Hell, I'd be in favor of a full-blown "let your imagination run wild in your own personal fully-programmable VR world, no limitations" policy, but I understand how that is not practical because lots of people would not only have what they feel are differing ethical opinions, but also legal concerns and those that just flat-out repulse them on a personal level. Moral crusaders been here for millennia. They will still be here millennia later. But if it acts as a check on barbaric human impulses, I am fine with that! The real problem is those who go in the simulation, experience the complete range of total sensory input, as if feeling the real thing, and yet STILL go into the real world to rape, murder, torture, eat other people. :(
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Okay what if a pedophile use one for his or her desires, would that be ethical.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I think, if it stops them doing it in real life? I mean, I recently created a thread to this effect, and yet everyone has forgotten. :roll:

It's another way people don't want freedom. Freedom means consequences. And sometimes that allows taking limits off people and letting them explore unhealthy, dangerous, and downright evil things in a healthy fashion.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Interesting arguments.
Hmm, could using the holodeck as a baby sit be ethical.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

I'm with Yuka. As long as that pedophile is abusing fake children, then he isn't outside abusing real one's. And yes, I did feel uncomfortable writing that, but here's the thing: I have read articles online from people who advocate violent video games that killing fake people lets them unleash the anger and rage that they would otherwise be inflicting on their wives. Disgusting honesty i know, but ignoring the scum of humanity just because it makes us feel uncomfortable is not a solution.

The issue I can see though is that too often rape and paedophilia is not about sex, its about power. Some people just like the idea that they can make someone else cry. The ''holodeck treatment'' is far from foolproof for the simple reason that a holographic victim is only faking being afraid.

The human race is capable of both great love and great cruelty in equal measure i'm afraid. That is not going to change.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:00 pm Interesting arguments.
Hmm, could using the holodeck as a baby sit be ethical.
The Star Trek holodeck that routinely kills people? No.

A perfected real life holodeck built to real life OSHA standards? Like most machines, It would probably do a better job than a human can. A fully caring babysitter who never tires, never gets drunk, never gets neglectful and knows first-aid perfectly. And its a holodeck, so it can take your kid to a version of Disneyland for the day where there is literally nothing that can harm him.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

@clearspira It would reduce it, not crush it completely.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:51 pm Okay what if a pedophile use one for his or her desires, would that be ethical.
Yes, absolutely. Noone is harmed, so where is the problem?
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox