They Live (1988)

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Nevix
Officer

Re: They Live (1988)

Post by Nevix »

I remember more about the beginning of this movie and the fight than anything else, but I also saw it when I was under 12, and didn't get the subtext.

It's an anti freedom movie to me, as the problem is not the system itself, but the fact that the system is used ONLY to benefit the Ghouls, and not everyone who can earn a living in it.

It's also an anti alien overlord movie too.

Oh, and personally: Freedom solves more than anything else, with the only boundaries needed being protections against unsafe working conditions/practices, scams, and other things that are already written into the laws in civilized countries.

So... it's not simply capitalism I support, but the freedom that is the core of the Free Market/Freedom.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Nevix wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:57 am I remember more about the beginning of this movie and the fight than anything else, but I also saw it when I was under 12, and didn't get the subtext.

It's an anti freedom movie to me, as the problem is not the system itself, but the fact that the system is used ONLY to benefit the Ghouls, and not everyone who can earn a living in it.

It's also an anti alien overlord movie too.

Oh, and personally: Freedom solves more than anything else, with the only boundaries needed being protections against unsafe working conditions/practices, scams, and other things that are already written into the laws in civilized countries.

So... it's not simply capitalism I support, but the freedom that is the core of the Free Market/Freedom.
Except it not the villain are trying to control the populate and limit freedom while the heroes are trying to free people and give more freedom. There is always a system that people use for their own good at the livelihood and freedom od others.
Jonathan101
Captain

Post by Jonathan101 »

I've always wondered if anyone was ever inspired by films like this to go out on a shooting spree against people they saw as (literal or metaphorical) alien parasites.

Whatever it's message is intended to be, it definitely appeals to peoples' paranoia.
Jonathan101
Captain

Post by Jonathan101 »

Fun fact- the aliens talk into their gold watches...and in the clip Chucks shows where Piper talks about the movie, he's wearing a gold watch too.

He's one of Them.
Imperator-zor
Redshirt

Post by Imperator-zor »

Honest thought: as if we need more reasons to like Mr Rogers, he helped start up Keith David's career.

Zor
Chaos Sepher
Officer

Post by Chaos Sepher »

I knew bits and pieces of this movie but never knew how much came from this.

Certainly knew the "Kick ass and chew bubblegum" line but always assumed it came from a video game or something.

I first learned of the 5 minute brawl when it was recreated shot for shot in South Park.

Most interestingly believe I first really learned of the film itself from Super Sentai, which Power Rangers is adapted from. In the 2010 series, Tensou Sentai Goseiger, which Power Rangers Megaforce was adapted from, one of the motifs of the monsters and villains in it was that they were all named after western films. One of which was a ghoulish mummy monster named after They Live, whose scheme involved brainwashing people through media after taking over a TV Station.
https://powerrangers.fandom.com/wiki/Zeibu_of_the_Mummy
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Chaos Sepher wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:59 am

Certainly knew the "Kick ass and chew bubblegum" line but always assumed it came from a video game or something.
It was used as a standard soundbite in the Duke Nukem 3D first person shooter back in the 90s, and that game was huge at the time. I think that is where a lot of people first heard it.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Duke Nukem 3D is known from having soundbites from several different action movies including that one.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Kendrakirai
Officer

Post by Kendrakirai »

CrypticMirror wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:58 pm
Chaos Sepher wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:59 am

It was used as a standard soundbite in the Duke Nukem 3D first person shooter back in the 90s, and that game was huge at the time. I think that is where a lot of people first heard it.
It’s a hugely quotable line, and has been used in one form or another in probably dozens of works and contexts, but especially Duke Nukem. :)
AndrewGPaul
Officer

Post by AndrewGPaul »

I can’t remember where I first heard the twisted version; “ I’m here to chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I’m all out of ass!”