Carnage of Krell Review

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Mecha82
Captain

Re: Carnage of Krell Review

Post by Mecha82 »

While that is true there are exceptions to that like Dooku not having yellow eyes and Palpatine hiding his with Sith alchemy.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Jonathan101
Captain

Post by Jonathan101 »

Mecha82 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:07 pm While that is true there are exceptions to that like Dooku not having yellow eyes and Palpatine hiding his with Sith alchemy.
Dooku actually does sport yellow eyes in TCW; it's just that they only flash when he uses Sith Lightning.

Other fact- this arc took bits and pieces of one of the last Dark Horse storylines set during The Clone Wars, with Krell basically an evil version of Jedi Master Oppo Rancisis (multi-armed Jedi Master who glimpses the future of the Clone Wars but fails to understand it, dies by getting stabbed / shot in the back, has a reputation for being a great general, and goes down fighting multiple non-force users who surround him in his command centre).
SpacePaladin
Redshirt

Post by SpacePaladin »

Captain Qwert Jr wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:30 am One of my favorite storylines, starring the only truly sympathetic group in the clone wars: the clones.

Still I always thought it was a mistake to make Krell a super villain. Would have been better if he was a true Jedi, broken by the war. The Jedi as police was already a compromise from the lightside. The Jedi as generals was an even greater perversion.
I think the "Jedi were evil assholes and losers" thing was overdone, especially in the EU. I preferred the Jedi being heroic and competent, but were ultimately shouldered with too much responsibility.
Jonathan101
Captain

Post by Jonathan101 »

I think the "Jedi were evil assholes and losers" was often more a projection by certain elements of the fanbase rather than something that was actually there, even in most EU stories.

The Jedi were flawed, made mistakes, and had a few bad eggs, but were ultimately well-intentioned and generally a positive influence; despite that, way too many people seriously argue that they are just as bad as the Sith, usually based on a simplistic understanding of what the Sith are actually about (seeing the Sith as individualists rather than, in actuality, extreme and murderous egoists).
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Yeah, I take well meaning but flaw over deliberate pushing other down as a ladder.
RedRiverValley
Redshirt

Post by RedRiverValley »

Jonathan101 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:01 pm I think the "Jedi were evil assholes and losers" was often more a projection by certain elements of the fanbase rather than something that was actually there, even in most EU stories.

The Jedi were flawed, made mistakes, and had a few bad eggs, but were ultimately well-intentioned and generally a positive influence; despite that, way too many people seriously argue that they are just as bad as the Sith, usually based on a simplistic understanding of what the Sith are actually about (seeing the Sith as individualists rather than, in actuality, extreme and murderous egoists).
That's why I don't like Karen Travis's depiction of the Jedi, because she tend to portray them as incompetent self serving idiots living in a cult as best and malicious child stealing slavers at worst. I don't know why her depiction of the Jedi got so popular.

Honestly Krell gave me Joruus C'baoth vibes with just how crazy and megalomaniacal he was. The setting also reminded me of the EU book Shatterpoint, where Mace had to find and arrest or kill his former padawan Depa Billaba who had gone to the Dark Side due to the horrors she had experienced on the planet.
"I know you will come for me, Mace. You should never have sent me to Haruun Kal. And I should never have come. But what's done can never be undone. I know you think I've gone mad. I haven't. What's happened to me is worse. I've gone sane. And nothing is more dangerous than a Jedi who is finally sane."―Depa Billaba, to Mace Windu
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

RedRiverValley wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:58 am
Jonathan101 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:01 pm I think the "Jedi were evil assholes and losers" was often more a projection by certain elements of the fanbase rather than something that was actually there, even in most EU stories.

That's why I don't like Karen Travis's depiction of the Jedi, because she tend to portray them as incompetent self serving idiots living in a cult as best and malicious child stealing slavers at worst. I don't know why her depiction of the Jedi got so popular.
Lets not just blame Traviss, Bioware and Avellone are just as much to blame for the 'Proper' Sith aren't really the bad guys nonsense.
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."
SpacePaladin
Redshirt

Post by SpacePaladin »

Wargriffin wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:42 am Lets not just blame Traviss, Bioware and Avellone are just as much to blame for the 'Proper' Sith aren't really the bad guys nonsense.
Not to mention a bunch of Force Traditions that were pretty much "The Jedi are being arrogant, small-minded tools. We're going to leave the Jedi Order and make our own, better Force Tradition that doesn't have people falling to the Dark Side every week or so."
Nightbeat74
Officer

Post by Nightbeat74 »

i have always hated traviss's writing lets just say some of her mando stuff comes off as very... well how can i put this...overly pro warrior monoculture. heck even the kilngons got more cultural diversity. witch is why i like the duchess satine's pacifist rule.
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

SpacePaladin wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:39 am
Wargriffin wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:42 am Lets not just blame Traviss, Bioware and Avellone are just as much to blame for the 'Proper' Sith aren't really the bad guys nonsense.
Not to mention a bunch of Force Traditions that were pretty much "The Jedi are being arrogant, small-minded tools. We're going to leave the Jedi Order and make our own, better Force Tradition that doesn't have people falling to the Dark Side every week or so."
Its kinda hilarious how much star wars writers come into the franchise and then hating the rules try to erect their own microcosm so they can do whatever they want.
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."