MST3K The Show - Seasons 1-10

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
cdrood
Officer

Re: MST3K The Show

Post by cdrood »

While not as many options, obviously, this seems like Doctor Who or James Bond where fans have their guy, typically whoever was in place when they discovered the franchise. Personally, I lean towards Mike. Joel's personality is a bit dry for my taste
ChrisTheLovableJerk
Officer

Post by ChrisTheLovableJerk »

Yeah, Manos is horrible, but it's also amusing in its ineptitude, and we'll always have Torgo. I think Monster A-Go-Go and Castle of Fu-Man Chu are way worse.

Any episode you guys feel is underrated or overlooked? My choice would be Tormented, I just love that one, maybe because the movie itself is actually kind of okay, especially when you compare it to the other dreck they had to sit through. Also, as Joel notes towards, that movie gets unexpectedly dark for an early 60's B-Movie.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

What is so bad about Fu Manchu? It's mediocre at worst.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
AndrewGPaul
Officer

Post by AndrewGPaul »

Eishtmo wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:07 pm
AndrewGPaul wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:33 pm This is probably the first time I’ve watched any of the reviews here and thought “what the **** is this?” Apart from some of the anime, but that doesn’t feel the same level of disconnection. And there, Chuck shares my confusion, whereas here, he’s going on about this like it’s obvious what it’s about, and I’m just getting more and more lost. :)
It's about the history of MST3K, it's evolution and what he views as the best show of every season. Pretty obvious to me.
Thanks, captain obvious. :) The thing is, I know nothing about this show, and the videos assume everyone watching already knows what it is. At least the anime reviews seem to come from the same level of ignorance as I have, so there’s more explanation of what the heck is going on.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

AndrewGPaul wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:13 am Thanks, captain obvious. :) The thing is, I know nothing about this show, and the videos assume everyone watching already knows what it is. At least the anime reviews seem to come from the same level of ignorance as I have, so there’s more explanation of what the heck is going on.
There's not much to it, really. 3 guys make jokes about old bad movies.

That's it. That's all you need to know. Everything else is just behind the scenes development details. There's nothing to go in depth on or review because you can't really review a review.

Or, as the themesong put it.

In the not-too-distant future --
Next Sunday A.D. --
There was a guy named Joel,
Not too different from you or me.
He worked at Gizmonic Institute,
Just another face in a red jumpsuit.
He did a good job cleaning up the place,
But his bosses didn't like him
So they shot him into space.

We'll send him cheesy movies,
The worst we can find (la-la-la).
He'll have to sit and watch them all,
And we'll monitor his mind (la-la-la).
Now keep in mind Joel can't control
Where the movies begin or end (la-la-la)
Because he used those special parts
To make his robot friends.

Robot Roll Call: (All right, let's go!)
Cambot! (Pan left!)
Gypsy! (Hi, girl!)
Tom Servo! (What a cool guy!)
Croooow! (He's a wisecracker.)

If you're wondering how he eats and breathes
and other science facts (la la la),
Then repeat to yourself, "It's just a show,
I should really just relax...
...For Mystery Science Theater 3000!"
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

I am incredibly grateful that SFDebris finally answered the question of just what the heck was up with Pod People and those other "Opening and closing credits that have nothing to do with the rest of the movie" films.
Eishtmo
Officer

Post by Eishtmo »

AndrewGPaul wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:13 am Thanks, captain obvious. :) The thing is, I know nothing about this show, and the videos assume everyone watching already knows what it is. At least the anime reviews seem to come from the same level of ignorance as I have, so there’s more explanation of what the heck is going on.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFzph9x-n9FR52BI94Zfgww

There, now you can watch a few episodes. Enjoy.
MerelyAFan
Officer

Post by MerelyAFan »

As far as Joel era episodes, I Accuse My Parents has always been one of my favorites, not only due to the amusing Truck Farming short beforehand, but also from him and the bots getting so much mileage from the main character being an empty headed dolt for basically the entire movie.
ChrisTheLovableJerk
Officer

Post by ChrisTheLovableJerk »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:18 am What is so bad about Fu Manchu? It's mediocre at worst.
Really? That one came pretty close to breaking Joel and the Bots. Like, it's hard to get through because of how bad and confusing it is, and the fact that there was talent behind it and on the screen makes it all the worse.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Joel and the bots hated it, but for me? It was fine. Just another yellow peril spy thriller. Nothing outstandingly horrible about it.