Star Trek Discovery If Memory Serves

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Star Trek Discovery If Memory Serves

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 8:39 pm I do wish they to to a new time period.
That's apparently been the direction since the end of the second season lol but it just doesn't do anything for world development.
..What mirror universe?
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I meant a show envision with a new tome period not jsut throw in because the time period they choosen is dull.
Aezetyr
Redshirt

Post by Aezetyr »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:15 pm I meant a show envision with a new tome period not jsut throw in because the time period they choosen is dull.
Question - how do we know if the time period they chose is dull... if we have never seen it before? Remembering that for a few years a lot of ST fans were clamoring for a series set beyond the TNG / DS9 / VOY era to see where the Federation has gone. I think that's what we are getting?

I really hope this will stop all the "it's not canon" bullshit that the fans are angry about.
Maybe we'll get some character development outside of Burnham.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:15 pm I meant a show envision with a new tome period not jsut throw in because the time period they choosen is dull.
I th ought you were talking about discovery lol
..What mirror universe?
Thebestoftherest
Captain

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 9:24 pm
I th ought you were talking about discovery lol
It okay
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

Yup, this was the episode where they started to sell me that I might see some structural improvements.

Burnham is presented as wrong. And not wrong as in "Well, she was doing the best she could with what she had" or "one big mistake", but just believably, humanly wrong. And her relationship with Spock was actually pretty well done. We got to see both actors actually act, and they're both good at it.

I really liked the Talosians. Benevolent aliens who aren't superior all-knowing beings, and have strengths and weaknesses compared to the Federation. I like that sort of push-pull interaction. I also like that they got something materially out of it, but were also generally acting benevolently - it's optimistic, but not pants-on-head magical christmasland so.

I also really liked the interaction between Hugh and Stamets. Again, two good actors doing what they do best. Really, really well done. If anyone let it down, it was Shazad Latif. Look, I'm normally one to give actors a lot of leeway. Bad writing, bad directing, acting is a hard gig and a lot goes in to a performance. Sometimes the writers just give the actor little to work with - "your character is brooding, dark, and mysterious." "Okay, so I just act really intense all the time?"

But goddamn, Shazad Latif got a chance to actually show something that needs a really good actor - a person who genuinely regrets something he did, but is also resentful because he wasn't really in full control, and doesn't feel he deserves all the blame being heaped on him. And he managed "angry and broody." Again. I think he's genuinely just not a good actor right now. Hopefully he'll improve, but it makes me sad he'll be around in Season 3.

Fortunately Wilson Cruz is going to be around too, because he fucking KILLS it. It would so easy for him to be the bad guy here. He's the one breaking up the relationship, he's the one denying Stamets happiness, he's the one starting a fight with Ash, he's the source of all of the conflict. But because Cruz does such a magnificent job showing the real pain, the dissociation, the difficulty, you end up empathizing with him deeply. At the same time you see him push others who are trying to support him away, showing how he deals with pain. It's just a fascinating character study. I thought Cruz was decent before, but this cements it - he's one of the highlights of this show, like Picardo was on Voyager, and I'm very happy to see more of him.

Verdict: Hand Wilson Cruz a script, and apparently he can elevate it to fine art, even past other people's poor performances. Combine some pretty snappy writing, good tension, and this is just an excellent episode.
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform
chaos42
Officer

Post by chaos42 »

with the pike series in the works im hoping we will see more of this because from what im seeing now i think this is starting to go the way we want it to go though im hoping for more thinking through the problems -even if it involves techno babble
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Can we please go past kirk era, if your not going to try to make it look like a 60 show don't bother.
chaos42
Officer

Post by chaos42 »

the discovery version of the enterprise bridge i will accept and i kinda of think thats how we should see things, in the future done, im not a purist and i don't mind some updates but don't make it look like the kelvin timeline i hate the apple store look they gave it. But i agree a post kirk era is a good idea, personally id like to see more stuff set during the post star trek 6 movie and tng. Plus it comes with the extra bonus of they can't change the uniforms again. as the uniforms form star trek 2 lasted till just before star trek tng as we see pickard and jack crusher both wearing them in flash backs and time travel. So they can't keep changing the uniforms. Its something i really hate in star trek, keep the uniforms the same stop changing them every couple of seasons its irritating, at least voyager never changed its uniforms. -the ones in the delta quadrant, they kept those all the way home, even when they knew about the new designs they kept theirs the same. I wish more shows would pick a look that works and go with it.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

I am not a purist either but I want the time periods to match the source.