A look at Garak (DS9)

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Admiral X
Captain

Re: A look at Garak (DS9)

Post by Admiral X »

Given the information out there, like how the Klingons look, I'm going to say that this is more of a reboot than a prequel.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

My understanding was that it is to be a prequel set ~20 years before the original series; basically sidestepping the question of which continuity to put it in
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

You can't really side-step something like that.
-TR
The Romulan Republic
Captain

Post by The Romulan Republic »

J!! wrote:My understanding was that it is to be a prequel set ~20 years before the original series; basically sidestepping the question of which continuity to put it in
This is... not encouraging. I'm trying to give this series the benefit of the doubt, but an unwillingness or inability to make strong creative choices, trying to have their cake and eat it too, is a hallmark of bad writing.

Oh well. Was their ever a Trek show (besides TOS, I guess), that didn't have a weaker first season?
FakeGeekGirl
Officer

Post by FakeGeekGirl »

What I meant with my point about Discovery is that if it succeeds, Paramount may find the balls to make a Post-DS9 post-Voyager era show in short order. If not, we're probably not getting another Trek series for at least another decade and by then, to not put too fine a point on it, I expect we will have lost at least some of the main cast members from modern Trek.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

It would help if they would stop making crappy shows and then blaming the fans for not liking them.
-TR
ScreamingDoom
Officer

Post by ScreamingDoom »

FakeGeekGirl wrote:What I meant with my point about Discovery is that if it succeeds, Paramount may find the balls to make a Post-DS9 post-Voyager era show in short order. If not, we're probably not getting another Trek series for at least another decade and by then, to not put too fine a point on it, I expect we will have lost at least some of the main cast members from modern Trek.
It's a very iffy position to make something terrible successful in the hopes that something after it will be good. It's far more likely that the Powers That Be will simply look at the success and then copy it, rather than try to actually make the thing you want.

"This bastardized soap opera reboot with Warhammer inspired ship designs worked? CLEARLY that's what the people want! Cancel the plans to bring about the thoughtful, Post-DS9 Star Trek and make more of this! Night in Sickbay 2: Electric Boogaloo is greenlit!"
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Oh well. Was their ever a Trek show (besides TOS, I guess), that didn't have a weaker first season?
Well there is TAS.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
The Romulan Republic
Captain

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Didn't it only have the one? Can't really compare. Either you like its first season or you don't, I guess.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Didn't it only have the one? Can't really compare. Either you like its first season or you don't, I guess.
No, it had a short second season.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu