B5 - Voices of Authority

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: B5 - Voices of Authority

Post by Madner Kami »

RobbyB1982 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:11 pm George Carlin had a whole bit about how language gets softened and changed over time to hide the bad stuff.

[...]
And Carlin was wrong on that account. The change of the words used to describe this psychological phenomemon isn't a reflection of trying to "soften things up", it's a reflection of changing understanding of the issue.
It was thought at first, that the issue is caused literally by the shock of the explosion of shells near the soldier in question, literally the soldier being shook by the pressure of the explosion, it being kind of a hefty concussion.
Lateron it was realized, that this issue expands to people who weren't near any larger explosions at the time the issue began to show, but that it generally extended to people who were in battle for longer periods of time, hence the term "battle fatigue".
The improvements in psychology during the period soon helped to realize, that it isn't just extending to people who are in combat either, but that people who are under psychological distress for longer periods in time, show the same symptoms and soon after, that the cause for the psychological distress doesn't even need to happen during an extended period of time, but that a single event can cause long-term stress that the subject can crack under, due to a continued mental inability to deal with said stress.

PTSD as a term is the result of long chain of improving understanding of a psychological issue, nothing more, nothing less and ironically enough given the point that Carlin tries to make, "shell shock" and "battle fatigue" are actually the words that dismiss the issue as temporary and localized and thus the "softened words".
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
unknownsample
Officer

Post by unknownsample »

I have to say I'm really troubled by Chuck talking about rebranding racism as white supremacy to me it feels like he's downplaying the threat of white supremacism when just now we have Trump refusing to condemn white supremacism and encouraging the proud boys.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Unusually, I agree with Beastro.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

unknownsample wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:56 pm I have to say I'm really troubled by Chuck talking about rebranding racism as white supremacy to me it feels like he's downplaying the threat of white supremacism when just now we have Trump refusing to condemn white supremacism and encouraging the proud boys.
Yeah that does feel like an awkward attempt to hedge his bets and stay planted on the fence.
ArchaonTheEverchosen
Redshirt

Post by ArchaonTheEverchosen »

unknownsample wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:56 pm I have to say I'm really troubled by Chuck talking about rebranding racism as white supremacy to me it feels like he's downplaying the threat of white supremacism when just now we have Trump refusing to condemn white supremacism and encouraging the proud boys.
The problem with rebranding racism as white supremacism is it make it like white people are the only group that can be racist. This actually a tactic which is being use in China, saying how white people is racist and police brutality as a criticism for the US and how the CCP is better (despite having concentration camp and store with sign said: No black people allow, trying to shift the source of COVID to African, police can come into people house an make arrest without any charge...). Everyone can be racist, but only white people can be white supremacist.
Marveryn
Officer

Post by Marveryn »

While biden don't say anything about antifa
unknownsample
Officer

Post by unknownsample »

Marveryn wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:33 pm
While biden don't say anything about antifa
But antifa isn't the gotcha you think it is.
unknownsample
Officer

Post by unknownsample »

ArchaonTheEverchosen wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:28 pm
The problem with rebranding racism as white supremacism is it make it like white people are the only group that can be racist. This actually a tactic which is being use in China, saying how white people is racist and police brutality as a criticism for the US and how the CCP is better (despite having concentration camp and store with sign said: No black people allow, trying to shift the source of COVID to African, police can come into people house an make arrest without any charge...). Everyone can be racist, but only white people can be white supremacist.
The clue's in the name also there was no great rebranding I've seen both racist and white supremacist used interchangably to describe Trump and his supporters.
G-Man
Officer

Post by G-Man »

The point is, people on the left are using terms like "white privilege" and "white supremacy" more and terms like "racist" less, in order to drive home the point that only white people should be told to avoid prejudice, and that the goal is to dispossess and disempower white people rather than to make certain that everyone shows everyone else respect.
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:02 pm
Yeah that does feel like an awkward attempt to hedge his bets and stay planted on the fence.
No, Trump did condemn white supremacists.

"Wallace: — but are you willing, tonight, to condemn white supremacist and militia groups —
Trump: Sure"

I think the Trump sort of assumed at that point that he had condemned them, and he didn't want to go into detail because it would delay him making the point that the overwhelming majority of the recent violence was perpetrated by the left. I think he thought, rightfully, that the issue of white supremacists was being used to deflect from the violence committed by Antifa and BLM. In particular, Wallace was pushing for a detailed response (he mentioned "militias" as well as and asked Trump to ask them to stand down) that would have derailed his ability to make this point completely.

It's as if someone was giving a lecture about rape and sexism, and the moderator kept insisting "what about women who rape men? You condemn that too, don't you? Are you willing to condemn female rapists and to say that a woman has to get a man's consent before having sex with him?"

"Of course. But that's a small percentage of all ra-"

"Then please say it. Unless you say that you condemn female rapists and say that a woman has to get a man's consent before having sex with him you haven't condemned them."

In fact, Trump has condemned white supremacists several times.
"You say I'm a dreamer/we're two of a kind/looking for some perfect world/we know we'll never find" - Thompson Twins
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

I hope you realize the president you defend would sell you to a Chinese organ-harvesting plant for one diet coke.